Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Talk to me about maxxis ardents….
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Thinking of trying these out on a 29er build i’m in the middle of as they are on offer @ JRA in 2.25 flavour, enough volume for rigid riding?

Generally up north in Scotland there aren’t too many ‘dry’ trails but a bit of everything at trail centre riding.

Also thinking of running them ‘ghetto’ has anyone any experience of this they could share with me?

thanks in advance

Baldysquirt

I liked them. They’re not really toothy, but are still surprisingly grippy. I ran one year round on the rear in the Peak. I would try and get an EXO version if they do one as I found the side walls didn’t last as long as I’d hoped in the rocky stuff. As for tubeless, I can’t comment on ghetto specifically, but Maxxis generally work very well with sealant. I’m currently running advantages on stans rims with absolutely no issues.

ton

paper thin side walls for bigger riders.
    i split 2 and the 3rd was on the way out too, after not much riding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlecrack
    Free Member

I have them on my 29er ‘Ghetto’ no problem

I ride them everywhere as I don’t bother with changing tyres much and they are fine

just fit and forget

paper thin side walls

really I thought they were very good .I had loads of pinch punctures on my kenda karma’s but nothing on my ardents at a lot lower pressure

sv

I have one on the rear of my hardtail and run it ghetto tubeless. Works well for me, used it at Kirroughtree yesterday no pinches/punters at all (I am not that gentle and probably 15stone with all my kit on). Use one on my Pitch also, it’s a LUST version.

simonm
    Free Member

Tyre that I really like.. sometimes. In the wet mud.. worse than any other I’ve found in terms of grip. For that Reason, even in the Peak, I didnt run them front when it was a very wet.

They grip amazing in dry / a bit damp… and actually a lot dragier on the rear than the pattern would make you think.

At Lee quarry one and front and back was fantastic.. grippy.. and didnt feel draggy at all.

Its supposed to be a high roller replacement, its very close on grip but not as all round as a high roller with any given ground condition.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

2.25 on the front.Paired with a 2.1 Crossmark on the rear, they are a pretty spot on combination IMHO..

Running that on both my Hardtails.

Roll well, grip well, bit sketchy in the wet, but yeah..

Spotty dog.

scaredypants

I think there’s quite a marked bald strip in-between the centre knobs and the edges. If you ride in mud and don’t lean ’em over a long way, they can slide alarmingly.

Picto
    Free Member

Ran one tubeless on the front of my inbred and have used it all winter. Really liked it. Fast rolling and grippy in most conditions. Grips on roots and rocks as well as anyother tyre I have ever used (not huge numbers I will concede). Tend to ride with fairly low pressure in the tyre to aid grip.

As noted above it does not do mud very well.

Ride mainly on Cannock Chase. No problems with the side walls.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I use one on the rear 2.25 has been good swopped out a cross mark seems to roll just as quick and grips more in the corners, I do think the Crossmark gripsbetter in mud, even though both are not brilliant.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I find they wash out badly when on the limit (Glentress), I have found Panaracer Rampages to grip better in the mud (although very slow and squishy on the road), I only use Crossmarks in the summer when its dry. I fitted a pair of Weirwolfs last night, so will be interesting to see how they compare.

Johnbot
    Free Member

I had them, not keen at all. Found them quite unreliable for grip

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

2.4 Ardent and 2.25 Crossmark on the back works a treat.

duir
    Free Member

I am in north east Scotland and run a Maxxis Ardent 60a 2.25 rear on my 5″ bike and have been quite impressed. Wanted something fastish rolling and lightish but still tough. I run a minion tacky 2.35 up front and wanted something similar but better rolling for the rear. The Ardent has almost a mini-minion tread that seems very puncture resistant and no punctures for the 1st 6 months. I have been riding it very hard on a a Mythic Spitfire which is a very aggressive bike. They do break away quite easily though but when paired with a more grippy front tyre is great for drifting etc but may not suit everyone. So far seems the best compromise for hard sharp rocks covered in mud, rain, snow and interspersed with greasy roots!

Shandy
    Free Member

I have the dual ply 2.4s. They are similar to the High Rollers, they tend to slide more gradually where the High Rollers are more all-or-nothing. They also roll slightly quicker than the High Rollers but the smaller tread means they give less traction in thick mud.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

mmmm, plenty to think about, thanks for all your input guys…will let you know how i get on!

Cheers

J 🙂

simonm
    Free Member

actually.. After todays ride I’ve changed my mind.. never ever ever use them in the wet… total shite !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about maxxis ardents….’ is closed to new replies.