Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Talk to me about low carb breakfast ideas…
  • blurltrider
    Free Member

scrambled tofu and tomato brekkie, home made baked bean salsa brekkie, avocado, tomato and sesame seeds, mix of seeds with grated apple and soya milk, green vegetable smoothie,. Take a look at the blgs and newsletters from energiseforlife.com You have to sign up but then get a massive amount of info and free recipes which would suit what you’re after.

_tom_
    Free Member

This is why I can’t properly get into the idiet/similar. I need breakfast to be as easy as possible especially on an early shift. Cannot be arsed with cooking eggs or whatever at half 4 in the morning! I just have my carby breakfast cereal then try to limit carbs for the rest of the day.. don’t know if this is considered good (especially as you won’t go into ketosis as I understand) but it seems to be going ok so far..

zilog6128

I just have my carby breakfast cereal then try to limit carbs for the rest of the day.. don’t know if this is considered good

It’s absolutely fine as long as you like eating processed crap food-substitutes rammed with added sugar & made as cheaply as possible with the lowest-quality ingredients money can buy. 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Macavity – Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grhTGQbyMg

I’m not sure Natalie is advising on losing weight as much as just giving you her version of a healthy diet and I thought the OP wanted to lose a bit of weight ?.

Cannot be arsed with cooking eggs or whatever at half 4 in the morning!
    Then don’t. Breakfast is over rated, imo.
    🙂

EDIT:
    It’s absolutely fine as long as you like eating processed crap food-substitutes rammed with added sugar & made as cheaply as possible with the lowest-quality ingredients money can buy.
    Ouch !.
    🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

I just have my carby breakfast cereal then try to limit carbs for the rest of the day.. don’t know if this is considered good

No, wrong way round. When you eat simple carbs you produce insulin, and insulin does many things including inhibiting the burning of fat and favouring the burning of carbs.

So when you are asleep you are burning mostly fat. When you eat cereal, you’ll start to burn carbs, blood sugar will get lower, and you’ll want something carby, so the cycle repeats*

If otoh you have eggs or something less carby, you’ll continue to burn fat all morning. And likewise lunch. I used to be on my knees gagging for food by 12pm, nowadays I usually have to rush to the canteen at 2pm cos I’ve forgotten about lunch altogether.

* note that this is dependent on the individual, these hormones have more effect in some people than others. There’ll be plenty of people who are skinny and happy all day on half a cup of porridge. I’m not one of them.

Re cooking early in the morning – once you get it down, it’s no harder than making toast. Grab pan, crack in 3 eggs, stir up for 3 mins, off heat, stir in cheese, eat. Job done.

Solo
    Free Member

OOooo.

Look what I just found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a21lpI5Xcg8

EDIT:
    Grips. The OP aint down with the egg

molgrips
    Free Member

That was aimed at -tom-

Solo
    Free Member

note that this is dependent on the individual, these hormones have more effect in some people than others

Would you say this is linked to their sensitivity ?.
    ie. If a person’s diet leads to higher levels of insulin or leptin in the blood. That they become de-sensitized to those levels of hormone.

I’d expect that sensitivity is genetically determined but possibly influenced by diet.

EDIT:
    There’ll be plenty of people who are skinny and happy all day on half a cup of porridge. I’m not one of them
    Me too.

I’ve tried to read that book, Burn the fat, feed the muscle.
    I found this part interesting:

Characteristics of the ectomorph
    Naturally skinny, wiry
    Long limbs, linear
    Small joints, small-boned
    Small waist, narrow shoulders
    Angular, projecting bones
    Naturally lean (low levels of body fat without even working out)
    Often call themselves “Hardgainers”
    Low strength levels prior to starting a training program
    Fast metabolism – they burn up everything, even when overeating
    Don’t store carbohydrates as fat – high carbohydrate diets are ok
    High energy levels
    Tendency to be overactive and restless (hyperactive)
    Natural born endurance athletes (successful at distance/endurance sports)
    Sometimes hard to maintain weight
    Extremely hard to gain weight
    Sometimes insomniacs
    Respond best to low volume, brief, infrequent, high intensity weight training
    It takes years of hard weight training and heavy eating to overcome this body type

molgrips
    Free Member

I would tend to agree.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I use the 8 hour baked bean recipe*, (obviously you can make it without the gammon) then portion into containers ready for a quick breakfast

*www.thestonesoup.com

kayak23

energiseforlife.com, You have to sign up but then get a massive amount of info and free recipes which would suit what you’re after.

Hmmmm, had a look at that. Can’t help feeling I’ll be bombarded with products I ‘need’ to buy into their ethos. Not sure…

ransos
    Free Member

When you eat cereal, you’ll start to burn carbs, blood sugar will get lower, and you’ll want something carby, so the cycle repeats*

Depends on the cereal for me. Porridge or muesli keep hunger at bay for a lot longer than cornflakes.

woffle
    Free Member

My breakfast currently consists of; 4 egg whites, protein powder, coconut milk and then a small handful of frozen berries or crushed ice cubes. Occasionally a banana too.

You could omit the egg whites no problems. There’s about 7g carbs in the powder, about 3g carbs in 300ml of Kara coconut milk and then it’s just the sugars in the fruit…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I did all bran with soya milk (minging)for a couple of weeks, felt beneficial in what I imagined was a “less early carbs” fashion

markgravo
    Free Member

I use the 8 hour baked bean recipe*, (obviously you can make it without the gammon) then portion into containers ready for a quick breakfast

*www.thestonesoup.com

That site has got some brilliant slow carb / idiet recipes. Thanks for the link.

alex222
    Free Member

quinoa porridge?

BigJohn

I make my own baked beans and usually have some in a pan on top of the cooker ready to heat up (or eat as they are.

A batch has never taken me more than 15 mins to make (using tinned haricot, canellini or borlotti beans as a base). Just fry up some bits of tasty, like onion pepper mushrom chorizo etc., add tinned tomato and add the beans.

Fartastic!

swingbing
    Free Member

I have very little muesli, lots of lidl’s finest 0.1% fat yogurt and a dash of skimmed milk for a quick breaky. Does the trick for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about low carb breakfast ideas…’ is closed to new replies.