Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Talk to me about low carb breakfast ideas…
  • kayak23

Started doing an ‘interpretation’ of the idiet (are we allowed to say that anymore?) A while back now and mostly do ok on it. Lost some weight but had a 3 week road trip recently with beer and cheese and bread as staples and so have crept back up in weight a bit.

For breakfast at home I have gotten in something of a rut and usually make myself gram flour pancakes which I have with marmite and/or houmous or something like that.
    I’m getting pretty bored of that, don’t enjoy fried foods in the morning much and want a few other things to mix into my days for a change.

Anyone got any good recipes

Oh, and just to complicate things, I don’t eat meat…
    **awaits usual vege scorn…..**

Thanks.

philconsequence
    Free Member

eggs.

loum
    Free Member

omelette ok? vary the fillings.

kayak23

eggs.

Oh yeah, no eggs….. 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Water.

philconsequence
    Free Member

protein shake with some ispaghula husk in it, made with water?

brakes
    Free Member

no carbs? no eggs? no meat? I pity you.

I either miss breakfast or have 2 eggs (fried, poached or scrambled), a grilled tomato and some fried mushrooms – all topped with Tabasco.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some sort of Lentil and/or chickpea concoction?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why no eggs?

For breakfast, just have left over dinner form last night. There’s no ‘special’ breakfast food you have to have.

tonyd

Breakfast? Weetabix.

Does Weetabix have carbs? I though that was bread and pasta.

philconsequence
    Free Member

cos they’re chikkin periods

GrahamS

no carbs? no eggs? no meat? I pity you.

+1 – somehow I don’t think my usual sausage and egg roll would work for you 😀

zilog6128

Surely you’re looking for non-insulinogenic foods rather than low-carb ones (since you are already having gram flour) in which case lentils/beans are OK (a nice lentil salad maybe)? It might help to stop thinking about brekkie as a “special” meal and just eat whatever you’d normally have for lunch or dinner (make it up the night before and keep it in the fridge if you’re short on time) or just have leftovers from the previous day.

Alternatively, consider moving to 2 meals a day rather than 3 and skip breakfast (still eating the same number of calories though so bigger lunch & dinner). This is much easier if you move to a higher fat, slightly lower carb diet overall because IME you feel fuller for longer. Makes things v simple in the morning as well!

miketually
    Free Member

Eggs at breakfast is probably the single best thing you can have if you’re trying to lose/maintain weight.

brakes
    Free Member

why?

toby1

No Eggs, no meat and no carbs for breakfast. Might as well just chew on a floorboard, or lick a dry stone?

kayak23

Water.

And how are you cooking that? 😀

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I usually steam water or some times fry it as a treat.

alex222
    Free Member

Kippers?

kayak23

Why no eggs?

cos they’re chikkin periods

Yeah, I suppose essentially thats why. I don’t eat them for similar reasons I don’t eat meat.
    I’m not Vegan though and so am happy to be awash with hypocrisy and contradictions 8)

Surely you’re looking for non-insulinogenic foods rather than low-carb ones (since you are already having gram flour)

Yes, sorry, thats it essentially….the insulin thing…

No Eggs, no meat and no carbs for breakfast. Might as well just chew on a floorboard, or lick a dry stone?

Actually I eat really fantastic food most of the time, its just breakfast where you want something low hassle and quick to get out the door. Could I guess from your comment you’re a meat eater? Its ok, they usually do seem to lack vision… 😉

no carbs? no eggs? no meat? I pity you

Thanks, I’m fine.. 🙂
    I get all that in abundance every saturday though! (except the meat bit…and the eggs bit…)

Kippers?

I don’t eat meat.

toby1

Actually I eat really fantastic food most of the time, its just breakfast where you want something low hassle and quick to get out the door. Could I guess from your comment you’re a meat eater? Its ok, they usually do seem to lack vision…

Mmm Burgers 😛

Yeah I guess breakfast is the toughest, a guy here still has a very ‘Indian’ looking breakfast most days that often seems to consist of chickpeas, tomato and herbs so perhaps some traditional Indian recipes would be good if you have any colleagues who could recommend them?

Solo
    Free Member

I get all that in abundance every saturday though! (except the meat bit…and the eggs bit…)

Carb-up dude.
    😉

WARNING: I’ve not posted the vid, but the link, As the presenter uses fruity language.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIMBRzNNOI

alex222
    Free Member

Kippers?

I don’t eat meatfish.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Baked beans
    Protein shake
    Cheese
    Some sort of Quorn doodah?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Proper greek (not ‘greek-style’) yoghurt plus some nuts?

I know dairy is on the ‘not allowed’ list on the iDave diet but the Fage Total brand has about 10g protein and 4g carbs per 100g

brassneck

dhal for the win – make your own rather than start on the hotel buffet I started on in Mumbai 😳

I’d get used to eating eggs though (veggie also) – two boiled or poached fills me right up.

frepster
    Free Member

Look up Chia pudding recipies. Essentially you soak chia seeds in Dairy Free Milk over night with rasins sultanas pumpkin seeds etc..

Grab out of Fridge in morning, scoff and ride off to work. Works for me.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Dairy-free alternatives to milk – not so healthy it seems – carrageenan isn’t good for you

kayak23

Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far all. Certainly some things to be looking into there.

Indian cooking does seem to give a wealth of suitable foods. They can tend to be labour-intensive for breakfast though but I guess most stuff can be pre-prepared.

Look up Chia pudding recipies

I’ll do that thanks. 🙂

I’d get used to eating eggs though (veggie also) – two boiled or poached fills me right up.

Before I discovered the beauty of gramflour pancakes I was eating mostly poached eggs every day. I think thats whats turned me off them so much…

Proper greek (not ‘greek-style’) yoghurt plus some nuts?

Hmmmm, or maybe soya yoghurt?

kayak23

Dairy-free alternatives to milk – not so healthy it seems – carrageenan isn’t good for you

That’ll be a bit like high meat-consumption then…

I expect that its a high consumption of nearly anything which is generally something that causes problems.

I eat/drink soya products now and again, but mostly eat non-processed food(if I can be @rsed)

frepster
    Free Member

not sure that stuff is in almond milk, not listed on the brand I buy anyway.

you can make pancakes from other flour too. I use buckwheat and hemp protein to make pancakes but not when I have to ride to work straight away as they are proper heavy and filling.

markgravo
    Free Member

How are you making the gram flour pancakes, they have always been a bit crap when I have made them?

thomthumb
    Free Member

How are you making the gram flour pancakes, they have always been a bit crap when I have made them?

http://www.celiactravel.com/blog/quick-gluten-free-flatbread/

i like this recipe. work well as an accompaniment with dinner (curry, chilli, stew etc) or as a breakfast with marmite/ peanut butter.

also used this

Gluten-Free Chickpea Chapati

skipped the arrowroot. they were a much heavier/ breadier bread – wouldn’t want them as a breakfast but great with a curry.

maccruiskeen

Try other beans rather than baked beans. I quite like tinned flageolet beans with a spot of garlic, rosemary or thyme and a spot of chilli. Heat those in oil first then add the beans and heat. Add a glug of red wine vinegar when they’re ready to serve.

I’d normally have them with toast or my pals “polish eggs” recipe but for you thats out I guess. Theres a sort of gluten-free bread-like stuff you get in supermarkets made by Biona. You usually get it in the ‘free-from’ bit rather then the bread/bakery bit. Its very savory and very dense but toasted its really quite nice, and suits other dark flavours like marmite or olives / tapenade. Good with harisa too.

maccruiskeen

or…….. have a black coffee and a cigarette

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I’d rather eat cardboard than the gram flour pancakes I’ve made in the past 🙁

kayak23

For me, 6 generous tablespoons of Gramflour in a bowl, a little bit of salt, and sometimes chopped coriander, pepper, chilli-flakes.
    Mix in water, keep it dry-ish at first so its sticky and you can beat the lumps out. Gradually add water until its a batter sort of consistency.

Heat up an oiled shallow pan. I have a proper chapati pan for this which is more like a shallow-curved plate. Pour half the batter into the pan and then roll it around so it coats all of the pan(don’t do this when a bit drunk, its messy 😉 )
    It will start to firm up, cook it for a few minutes then get your wooden spatula underneath that badboy and flip it to cook the other side.

Repeat with the remaining mixture.
    I spread marmite and houmous on mine usually for breakfasts but have done proper filled ones for dinner too which are lush.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

skipped the arrowroot. they were a much heavier/ breadier bread – wouldn’t want them as a breakfast but great with a curry.

Ooh, they look pretty good.

lambchop
    Free Member

whisk an egg into your gram flour batter. It binds it all together!

Macavity
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about low carb breakfast ideas…’ is closed to new replies.