Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Talk to me about GPS's
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OK, so after the diaster that was buying a etrex legend off here (only £35, and sold it again) and hating every minute of it for the following reaons;

-uploading and downloading routes was nearly impossible (I failed completely after trying every concievable bit of software recomended)
    -no free maps, I'm not paying £200 for a bit of software thats essentialy just OS mapping with built in obsolecance that I can either have for free off multimap or already have in paper form (which will never be obsolete, just turn to pulp eventualy but don't cost anywhere near as much and you only need to buy a few to cover 99% of your riding).

So things I want from it;
    + the moon on a stick
    + free mapping. Or if not, at least the ability to quickly and easily upload/download other people routes off the internet.
    + HRM, cadenece, and possibly the ability to measure power at some point in the future.
    +on the PC side of it, measure height gain/loss as the GPS readout is invariably miles out.

Basicly something that works as a sat-nav on unfamiliar trails and as a training aid on more familiar ones.

Anything out there?

clubber
    Free Member

Garmin Edge models though the screen is a bit small.

There's free mapping software out there for the Garmins anyway (including your ex-Legend)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

there was, but the GPS had a 3 pin interface, which had an addapter to a serial plug, which then went through a USB addapter. And after allt hat you get onto the garmin website to be told that its an older model and cant be used with all their online goodies (which is what I really wanted).

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – maybe but I can't say I've found it an issue with my Etrex though if you absolutely have to use their website then clearly it's an issue.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I'm a geologist and for my mapping adventures I use a Garmin 60Csx this is an awesome bit of kit and you can pick the topo maps up real cheap if you know where to look.

I tried using it for some off road adventures and its been brilliant, its a bit pricey but you can get a standard 60series for a lot cheaper.

I wouldn't use anything else (unless I came into a lot of money)

PnM

andy_hew
    Free Member

I use a Garmin Edge 205. Use bikehike online (free) to map and upload routes. Following the route is simple a case of following the black line. Not great if you want to change your route and go out exploring any interesting looking tracks that you find, but for following routes from books or mags more than adequate.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Superb application for free mapping downloads here…. http://mobac.dnsalias.org/

andytherocketeer

Huh? free maps derived from OSM work just fine on Vista (Legend is basically same but without electronic compass and barometer?).
    I use Qlandkarte for Linux (gash, but functions) or EasyGPS for Windows. Up/Down-loads to/from GPS with ease.
    Really need the HCx version though IMHO, with MicroSD card.

Just download any GPX file off the internet (route or track), or trace your own in bikehike / google earth and save (if it's KML then convert to GPX for free). Then upload with EasyGPS.

I tend to use everytrail, wikiloc, gpsies, etc (add a .com to all of them), all of which will take your GPX and show it on a map with altitude plot.

Whatever free stuff works with the Edge would work with Legend/Vista (except the TCX garmin training stuff).

neninja
    Free Member

Superb application for free mapping downloads here…. http://mobac.dnsalias.org/

I've played with this before but being new to this stuff couldn't work out how to make OS maps and load them on to a Garmin gps.

Is there a site with clear instructions in very simple language of what to do?

pedalhead
    Free Member

I haven't watched it yet, but try this…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4exhu4EThE

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks – that's made things much clear – excellent

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about GPS's’ is closed to new replies.