Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Talk to me about GPS for bikes…
  • PrinceJohn

At the moment I use the GPS on my phone to track every ride I do & it works pretty well (data is almost identical to the computer on the road bike – I don’t like computers off road I tend to break them when I crash)

What would the advantages be over using my phone to track if I bought something like a Garmin Edge?

Bearing in mind I’d probably just chuck it in my camelbak to record the ride….

bagpuss
    Free Member

Very little advantage if you’re just going to pop it in your pack. I went to an Edge 500 for battery life and being able to mount it on my stem, I’d not trust my phone there.

iPhone 3GS + little or no signal on parts of Dartmoor = battery flat within 3 hours and a useless phone.
    Edge 500 = 18 hours (apparently) and keep the phone for emergencies.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Edge 200 for the back pack for minimal use. Edge 500 for road use and 800 for road and off road guidance.

Battery is the main problem with a phone. Some of my road rides are stretching 6+ hours and my phone dies on it’s arse.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Don’t bother getting a bit lost is half the fun of riding. You find new things that way.

matt_outandabout

Bought a cheap one from here a while back (£10) and it is ace for just that – tracking rides, chucking in bottom of bag and *if* needed, there for basic location etc.

PrinceJohn

Don’t bother getting a bit lost is half the fun of riding. You find new things that way.

That’s true, but I don’t want to use it for wayfinding – plus if I get lost this way I’ll definitely be able to find my way to the good bits…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about GPS for bikes…’ is closed to new replies.