Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Talk to me about engine oils…
  • spooky_b329

I've was sold Shell Rimula R3 X, 15w-40, Spec CH-4 / 228.3 by an Iveco dealer, being advised it was suitable for my Iveco Daily. I double checked this as I thought the engine took a lighter oil and they said it was what they use for all vehicles, they service Dailys right up to the big Iveco trucks. The bottle doesn't say if its part or fully synthetic, and the counter guy didn't know, but repeated it was suitable. Looking online, I still can't find anything that says its even part-synthetic. http://www-static.shell.com/static/aus/downloads/lubricants/shell_rimula_r3_x.pdf

Just checked the manual and it says to use 5w-30 oil to specs ACEA E3, E4 or E5. (Urania FE5w-30 to be exact but can't find anything in English online) I'm assuming for such a light weight this would be part or fully synthetic?

So, I'm guessing I've bought a low grade (CH-4 is the lowest current grade it appears) mineral oil that is thicker than recommended. Its only a 120bhp 2.3 TurboD engine but the van is a fully laden 3.5t camper and rarely goes anywhere without a 2.8 ton horse trailer on the back which takes it right up to its gross train weight, so the engine has had a pretty hard life since I bought the van 9 months ago, flat out on all the hills!

Is it really going to make any difference? Should I take it back and spend £50 on 10L of synthetic oil from Halfords? The Shell oil was £45 for a 20L drum which will do two services with some to spare, but I had assumed it was a part synthetic oil…

I need all the power I can get so if the heavier oil will reduce performance its not what I want.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

There's quite a difference between 15W40 & 5W30, no matter what specs they comply with – more than i'd be happy with using anyway.
    Return it, but speak to Iveco direct beforehand if you want to be sure.
    Your local motor factors might have something that'll do the job and be cheaper than Halfords (bit suprised they do one for a Daily?)

CHB

Do not use the wrong oil.
    I am certain that costco do 20litres of 5w30 oil for about £25. It's chevron brand. I have been tempted to use this in my Audi, but have not as from the blurb in costco it makes no mention of VW507 spec that my Audi asks for. For you purposes it should be perfect.

My general rule for oil is that it's ok to use a thinner oil, but not a thicker one. For example my Volvo asks for 10w40. I have happily used 0w40 fully synthetic and 5w30 with no ill effects (in fact if your piston rings are ok, the only side effect should be better MPG).

spooky_b329

Thanks, the Halfords stuff is just generic 5W30, not specific to Iveco. Apparently the stuff that says suitable for such and such brand is quite missleading as its the specification that matters.

Looks like the Shell stuff I was sold meets the specification for the Iveco (Acea E3 to E5) [strike]which means it must be part synthetic[/strike], mineral oil, but as you say, its still too thick.

coffeeking
    Free Member

So long as the ACEA spec is the same or higher, and the weights fall +- 5 I'd be happy using it, but outside that I'd consider it a "major change" and it would take some more thought. My car is spec'd at 10w40, I run 0-50, but only after watching the oil temps and pressures and checking they stay in spec over a wide variety of driving conditions.

spooky_b329

Actually that bit I said about brand suitability is probably B****cks, website states one thing then appears to contradict itself…

spooky_b329

Anyway, it appears I need a 5w30 oil to Acea E3 or E5 (mineral) or E4 (part synthetic, seems rare)

E3/4/5 are heavy duty diesel oils, all of the Halfords oils are A/B (petrol and passenger diesel) grades. Will try my local motor factors tomorrow, but apart from them, I wouldn't know where to go…

glenh
    Free Member

15w30 and 5w30 will be pretty similar when up to temperature, but the 15w30 will be much thicker when cold. Probably be fine if you don't do lots of short journeys.

spooky_b329

Thanks, according to Andys link, 5w30 E4 is recommended for best economy, 15w40 E3/5 is also listed as alternatives. Bit annoying the workshop manual doesn't include that last bit of info, just states E3/5.

jemima
    Free Member

Sounds like you've pretty much got it figured out but for what its worth Rimula CH4 is a mineral oil. People get very hung up over the mineral/synthetic debate but as is mentioned so long as you meet the minimum requirement (API or ACEA) then you'll be right. The distinction has been made between passenger car oils and heavy duty diesel oil and it sounds like you need heavy duty. This is important.

Interestingly, as far as I was aware, Shell phased out the Rimula branding a couple of years ago – could be that your Iveco dealer is trying to shift stock??? Doesn't mean its a 'bad' oil though.

I'm sure running a 15W40 instead of a 5W30 will not make any noticable difference to peak power. In contrast to other posters I would absolutely not use a less viscous oil but would use a more viscous oil (mainly due to big end bearing oil film thicknesses – especially important if you do run on full throttle a lot).

CH4 is a good oil spec and there's not much performance advantage in a higher spec oil.

Finally, in terms of sourcing a different oil maybe check out your local tractor dealer if you have one. Or Finnings (Cat dealers)…

spooky_b329

Thanks Jemima, yeh I did see some stuff about not going too thin. When I looked on the Shell site under Rimula the UK wasn't included, so I looked on the Australian version for the specs.

Most of the Halfords oils were A1/B1 and apparently can be damaging to some engines, thats the last time I'll pop into Halfords and just grab something that looks suitable, didn't realise there were specifications to check in addition to the grade!

It looks like it would cost me about £130 plus postage to get 10L of 5w30 Acea E4 so bugger that 🙂 After seeing Andys link, it seems the stuff Iveco have given me will be fine.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Most of the Halfords oils were A1/B1 and apparently can be damaging to some engines, thats the last time I'll pop into Halfords and just grab something that looks suitable, didn't realise there were specifications to check in addition to the grade!

Neither do half of the motor-factors staff I meet, halfords or otherwise. Shocking really. Oil is quite a science but you'd hope the primary interface between the user and the supplier would have at least a vague clue. Ouch at the price of E rated oils!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about engine oils…’ is closed to new replies.