Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Talk to me about ebay.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Do people here sell much stuff on it? Is it worth the hassle with working out postage costs etc. Do you always make enough money on an item to make it worth while? Some things seem to sell for quite cheap, the owner might as well be giving them away.
    I know you can have advanced settings with a reserve bid and what not. Costs a lot extra though?
    Got a few bike bits i could sell on it, maybe.

maccruiskeen

Do you always make enough money on an item to make it worth while? Some things seem to sell for quite cheap, the owner might as well be giving them away.

You are pretty much describing an auction. Its a gamble, don’t gamble what you can’t afford to loose.

Garry_Lager

It’s ok, effective at what it does. I don’t know anyone who’s a massive fan because it’s a monopoly, so fees seem high, and paypal can be a hateful caaant if you have any sort of problem you need sorting out.

Don’t bother with a reserve unless it’s something high-value, but of narrow interest. Even then it can be a mistake – a well put together ad for something decent will get the job done.

Wouldn’t say it favours sellers or buyers IME – sometimes you get silly money for stuff, othertimes quality items can go for buttons.

totalshell

stuff sells for what it is worth not what you think it is. use it if you have stuff you want to sell now not stuff you might sell if someone offers you a bag full of money

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

if you want a certain amount for a part set the starting bid at that price then you will get at least that. Then you dont set a reserve.

There is a fair bit of info on royal mail site about weight and dimensions of a parcels for postage.
    Parcel force 48 will collect from your home or work
    Going to the post office is a pain, put a few items on at once so you only make one trip.
    Selling bikes can be ok but the the fees etc are about 10% now i think so you can end up with less than you expect. Account for that.
    My rule of thumb is its not really worth going to the post office for less than £5. But if you found a fiver in your shed you would be chuffed.
    So if you get 4 items that you are never going to use and there all worth £5 its like freeing up shed space and finding £20.
    Depends really if your the kind of person that “A” can be bothered with the hassel, or “B” needs the cash!

maccruiskeen

it’s a monopoly, so fees seem high

Its not a monopoly, I’m looking at an online auction site just now. Buyer’s premium on that is 35% on top of the final sale price. Thats what real auctions cost. Ebay is cheap, thats how it became so prevalent.

ski
    Free Member

Noticed more people/friends are using facebook to sell their stuff recently.

You can set a buy it now price with ebay if you are worried about it selling low, but I find letting it run as an auction, most of the time gets you a better result in the end.

evilhomersimpson
    Free Member

It’s worth selling stuff on ebay as your items can be seen all over the world, I sold some really crappy (I described them as rubbish and only put them on for a laugh) Lambretta legsheild badges to Malaysia. The guy that bought them was really happy with them. It’s surprising how others see your stuff, if you want a certain amount for something put a reserve price on it, otherwise you risk it going for 99p.

The post office run can be a drag, luckily I live a few minutes walk away from a main office, I don’t know if I’d bother if it was more difficult to get to.

If you sell a fair bit of stuff the fees can start mounting up, you don’t really notice them until they invoice you at the end of the month, so keep an eye on them.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I only ever list stuff when they do free listings weekends which is about 8 times a year. I set the opening bid at the minimum I want for the item so I don’t pay a reserve fee. If it doesn’t sell it costs me nothing unless I put some extra pictures in. Remember that final value fees and Paypal fees are about 15% of your sale price excluding P&P. Also remember P&P is postage and packaging so unless you have free supply of bubble wrap, boxes and parcel tape make allowances for that. Always send your items tracked, it costs 75p extra to go signed for on first class post. Any thing bigger use http://www.parcel2go.com who will collect the item from you and deliver from around 8 quid.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Its great. The way I see it I would never be bothered to shift stuff if it wasn’t as easy as it is on Ebay/paypal. Fees are high but the system works very well and the number of potential buyers you are getting access to is massive.

I agree with the, don’t bother with a reserve philosophy – as long as it’s a well known and in demand item. Make sure you list well, give all the details so the buyer will have confidence in you and the item, and just let it go for the going rate.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Its always worth having a look at completed listings so you can get an idea as to how much the stuff your selling will go for.

I tend to list everything I sell at 99p, if you’ve got the auction details entered with no typos and its not a niche item it will sell.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about ebay.’ is closed to new replies.