Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Talk to me about coffee machines – I know nothing
  • rocco

Looking into getting a coffee machine, just something basic that does a good coffee but doesn’t have any fancy extras. Tell me about pods, granules, what’s a good starter machine? I know nothing about them so open to all suggestions 🙂

sc-xc

I am happy with the Gaggia Classic. Cheap and cheerful, no fancy stuff to go wrong. I only ever drink espresso, but you can froth milk etc with it.

Get a good grinder and you’re away.

vorlich
    Free Member

I know nothing – but picked up a gaggia cubika off gumtree for £40, promptly killed it by carelessly running it dry, then fixed it with new ball bearing for the pump. Fully rebuildable with replacement parts if you like to tinker and spot a bargain.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Do you like faff or coffee?
    Nespresso is decent quality but expensive, I have a been to cup in the loft & Nespresso in the kitchen because I’m lazy.

burko73

I got a DeLonghi magnifica off amazon for £240 about 18 months ago. Bean to cup, froth, simple but great coffee. I wouldn’t be without it now after yrs of different types of machines.

It needs filling with water and the bin emptying once a week perhaps otherwise just come down in the morning, press on button, press double espresso button, hey presto a double espresso. If you want frothed milk then press froth button, put jug under frothed and froth. Clean frother lance with cloth, drink frothy coffee.

Brilliant.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

+1 for the Gaggia Classic. Reliable solid machine that makes a great espresso and has a perfectly decent milk steamer/frother. I enjoy the process of making espresso so it’s perfect for me.

Very happy with mine. Used multiple times a day everyday without issue.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Been looking at the gaggia classic too- how much do they cost to run? Mate suggested they store water at temperature all the time so use a lot of electricity?

righog
    Free Member

MrSmith
    Free Member

Been looking at the gaggia classic too- how much do they cost to run? Mate suggested they store water at temperature all the time so use a lot of electricity?

???? 😯
    Warm up time is very quick 3-5min as the boiler is tiny (about the size of a large fist) you do not leave them on all the time unlike a commercial machine.

They are the de-facto choice at that price point because:
    They work well
    The group head and portafilter is machined brass not alloy (like the cubika)
    All parts and spares are readily available
    You can upgrade the steam wand if you want to (rancilio mod)
    There isn’t really anything else around that price that compares.

A decent grinder is more or less essential to get the best out any machine and you need to throw away the ‘crema device’ basket they come with and get a decent double basket, the plastic tamper is crap, a motta one is cheap and easier to use as the diameter is a tight fit in the basket.

rocco

Looking for as little fuss as possible to start with. I like the look of the pods as it would be easy to get a variety of flavours etc easily.

MrSmith – I have little to no idea what any of what you said mean?!? 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Do you like faff or coffee?
    Nespresso is decent quality but expensive, I have a been to cup in the loft & Nespresso in the kitchen because I’m lazy.”

Meanwhile , i may be lazy but staying at my parents last night means ive been subject to nespresso this morning….boak its brown , its slightly better than instant but i wouldnt buy one , crap plus expensive. Not seeing the appeal.

AD

I have a confession to make – while I am clearly not in the same league as the coffee connoisseurs above and don’t have their super refined tastes – I bought a Nespresso machine with the aerochino milk bit to replace an ageing Krups ‘proper’ coffee machine. Loads less hassle, far quicker and tastes fine (it is also way more consistent but I accept this is more about my poor technique and tamping the ground coffee down ‘just right’ etc). Costs about 30p per cup.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I go where righog pictured. Unscrew pot, pack of Lavazza Crema e Gusto, spoon in, tamp, place on stove. Few minutes later some boiling noises ensue and shortly in coffee heaven.

stumpyjon

Dolce gusto pods for me, lots of different flavours, dead easy to use, not too expensive, pods easy to get hold of.

johnnystorm

Nespresso here, I was surprised the different pods do actually taste different. Make sure you buy one with an aeroccino when the promos are on as you’ll get a 70 quid voucher for pods. Quite like the fact the pods can be taken back to a store, collected for free or dropped into a collect+ store for recycling. I spend longer choosing the pod type than it takes to make an espresso. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Not a coffee drinker, but Mrs North is. She has her father’s unused Gaggia Baby. While that was awaiting a spare part (price of the thing having been stored too long in a garage) I bought her a Bialetti stove top, which she also loves.

Alas, when I bought the Bialetti they weren’t doing the free gift that rihog has…. 😉

liquid1000
    Free Member

Nespresso here low faff, quick heat up, great service and good coffee.

andytherocketeer

Don’t get senseo.
    My used dishwater is stronger and more caffeinated.

Nespresso was alright. Convenient, cheap machines, but it seems to be full scale facebook/google analytics tracking of your coffee consumption. Can’t even browse the coffee types online without registering an account, so sod them.

Will get bean to cup. Even easier in the morning… cup under, press button vs cup under, insert a pod, push lever down, press button. And more choice of beans.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about coffee machines – I know nothing’ is closed to new replies.