Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Talk to me about CO2 inflation
  • nicholas_yiu

I recently managed to lose all pressure in my tubeless tyre because of not having them too soft and getting a jump wrong.

I tried re-inflating trail side but couldn’t get the tyre to hold pressure using a mini pump. I luckily had a tube with me, fitted that instead and continued as normal.

Thinking about it, if I had a CO2 pump with me, I think the tyre would probably have sealed and I wouldn’t have to do all that messing about on the trail.

Question is are there any difference between all the choices out there and is it likely to help me in the above situation?

br
    Free Member

I always carry a couple of co2 cartidges and an inflator – and use gloves…

TiRed

Yes, some are dreadful. I have the nanoflate and to operate one unscrews the CO2 cartridge. This is much effective than the more expensive “press on to inflate” models. I learned this the hard way.

Still carry a tube though.

nicholas_yiu

That nanoflate looks good to me. Does a 16g tube fill a MTB tyre or do I need a 25g? Do you still carry a mini pump?

flannol
    Free Member

29er

I use (& recommend) the genuine innovations ultraflate plus

I carry a 16g cartridges (I get these because primarily I ride on road, it’s just a bonus being able to use it on my MTB)

16g does not inflate it enough, at all… So I will pump first and then if I am lazy / being really rushed I will use the 16g cartridge to inflate the rest, but really at MTB psi (‘race’ situations excluded) it’s pure laziness not just using a normal pump 😛

and, yes… ALWAYS carry a proper pump.

25g is ‘supposed to be good for a MTB tyre’ (Y)

stuey
    Free Member

16gm fill a fatbike tyre up ‘too’ hard so should get anybody home 😉

I buy my carts from a local roadie shop – as they are cheaper.
    – but CO2 does seem to make my stan’s milk – go lumpy?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Used them a couple of times now and they are great, though a 29er will need topping up with a pump as said before. I just got a dirt cheap one off ebay. The one I’d got is not trigger operated, you push onto the valve and hold it there. I’ve only used on Presta valves where you’re pushing against the screw on collar. Not sure it would work on Schrider valves though as you’d just push the valve into the rim and wouldn’t be able to push hard enough against the valve to fire the cartridge.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about CO2 inflation’ is closed to new replies.