Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Talk to me about: Chesney log burners
  • spw3

I know the log burner de choix is a Clearview but – shallow man that I am – I cannot resign myself to paying £1400 for something I find so unattractive.

So how good/bad/indifferent are Chesney stoves.

I am fully braced for tales of Pace-like awfulness.

AdamW
    Free Member

Mine’s OK. It burns wood, it gets hot and it heats the room. It is also fairly contemporary (no twiddly bits) and I like it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

They are the one and only…….

spw3

Perchy – that made me smile.

After a day like I’ve had that is no mean feat so I thank you.

And of course I could hear the song as I read the words.

And now I can’t get it out of my head.

spw3

AdamW – how long have you had it? Any problems? I know the glass in the Clearview ones allegedly don’t get dirty.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’ve had it since middle of last year. Hasn’t had oodles of use but it does burn clear as long as its hot, it is apparently clearview. No problems with it, although learning the foibles of woodburning takes a little time.

And I use the embers when it dies down before I go to bed to make a sneaky slice of toast.

I’m still learning and am sure I’m burning too much wood as I leave the flue open a bit too long. I’ve also found I like those wood shaving firelighters as opposed to the brick ones as they don’t smell.

Cougar

I know the glass in the Clearview ones allegedly don’t get dirty.

I don’t have a log burner (I’ll hand in my STW card now) but I’ve stayed in plenty of holiday places that have them. Cleaning the glass so that it’s sparkly clear again is literally 30 seconds of a job, I wouldn’t get hung up over that as a feature.

spw3

I’m just uncertain bc I have two installers close to me. One deals with Chesney and says they are fine (“We wouldn’t sell them if they caused us loads of problems”). The other doesn’t sell them bc “they cause too many problems”.

Middle Class STW 1st World Problems.

spw3

Ok Lodrrik,
    After consuming Toulouse sausage with green lentils for dinner, that was an image I could definitely have done without!

mangoridebike

Another Chesney owner here, had it for three years, very happy with it. Drop me an email if you have any questions

nwill1
    Free Member

Read this with interest…currently in the market…the dealers we’ve contacted do Stovex and Chesney (there are others but none that appeal).

Not seen anything negative about Stovax but a bit online about Chesneys…however we’re leaning towards Chesneys as we like the look (Shorditch 5).

Not sure whether the negative reviews (very few) are truly representative or just the unfortunate couple who’ve whined online!?

They’re not cheap though so want to get it right!

spw3

Yep, me too. Loads of online love for Clearview. I just think they look a bit Dickens Whimsy for my tastes. The firm installing Chesney stoves (amongst other brands) said they work fine because their features design is similar to Clearview anyway. Sufficiently similar for it to end up in court, allegedly. He said that there was a problem with firebricks cracking if they were run hot but not for the last year or two.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I was interested in the double sided series 10 at £2100, but a fitter told me they are made in China and not very good.

nwill1
    Free Member

Seems to be real mixed opinions on the Chesneys…I have no concerns what so ever about the Stovax but as I said prefer the look of the Chesney! #confused

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My personal opinion (I have a Westfire) is that all the quality stoves will work as expected if you have a good draw, a good fire going, logs properly placed in firebox etc.

loddrik
    Free Member

Was my post really that offensive that it needed to be deleted….?!?!

spw3

Not guilty!

Although it was a good job I was eating store bought sausages rather than Carluccios home made ones

finephilly
    Free Member

I don’t think clear view are anything special at all. I’d go for an aarow or mendip or something euro like nordpies/jotul if you have the wedge. chesneys have a very London ish style.

Marko

I don’t think clear view are anything special at all.

Except made in the UK out of Welsh steel. And the glass does stay clear.

Marko

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Chesneys are made in China, if you want British made Town and Country, otherwise Contura 51L or i5.

ctk
    Free Member

Charnwood are made in UK iirc

Pick one you like the look of and fits the space well. I have a Nordpeis which I’m happy with.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Pick one you like the look of and fits the space well.

This
    afaic all the decent ones will have clear glass, secondary burn and twiddly knobs.
    1) Do you want, traditional (morso squirrel), contemporary (stovax view) or somewhere inbetween (contura 51L)?.
    2) what are the dimensions of your fireplace? If it’s big, then it’s not an issue. If it’s small, then you have to choose appropriately. I think, if it’s done by the book, it should fit within the dimensions the stove manufacturer recommends. Altho my stove fitter didn’t appear to question this at all, so not sure.

mt
    Free Member

If your are talking Welsh Steel and made in Wales, look at Chilli Penguin. We have two and Dunsley, Yorkshires finest. Give the cost and build quality the Chilli Penguin is good. That’s coming from a committed Yorkshire buyer, also in the past I’ve purchased a Hwam.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Esse are made in Barnoldswick (of Hope Tech fame), don’t know if that’s in Yorkshire or Lancs tbh. If it’s in Yorkshire, then they are brilliant stoves, probably the best on the market.

spw3

Thanks for the tips guys.

I had looked at Stoves and Charnwood but didn’t find anything I thought I would want to look at for years.

Will check out the other makes now.

Rockape63
    Free Member
    nwill1
    Free Member

Having now been to the Chesney dealer and looked at them closely including one burning I’ve decided I’m going to give it a bash.

Looks good, appears to work well looking at demo stove, which happens to have been in situ for 6 years and used everyday.

Fingers crossed!

neilnevill
    Free Member

How well it works is as much, or more, down to its install – how long the flue is, where the flue is on the roof, how the air to the room is and what logs you burn (size, type and water content). Most stoves work these days if your install is ok

finephilly
    Free Member

most new stoves have an airwash which keeps the glass clear when they get up to temperature. Also log burners are one area of industry where there’s some great choice from UK manufacturing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about: Chesney log burners’ is closed to new replies.