Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Talk to me about being a Paramedic (Drac?)
  • IHN

One of the jobs on the list of jobs I’m considering after I finish my little career hiatus is a Paramedic. After years of being a corporate drone I want to do something that is actually important, that is intellectually stimulating and where few days are the same. I reckon being a paramedic would tick those boxes.

So, who is one, or knows one, or was one, and would like to give me the benefit of their experience?

philconsequence
    Free Member

have you ever worked in the care setting as a nurse or something before? have you tested your ability to deal with blood, urine, vomit, faeces at the same time as being shouted and cried at?

if so, welcome to the club of awesome, if not… get yourself some experience in the care setting before making a career change 🙂 the only way to know if you’ll be able to handle it is to try it in my humble opinion.

when i studied to be a nurse you could tell VERY quickly who had worked as a care assistant first.

dont let my post put you off though 🙂 i have a huge huge huge amount of respect for paramedics and its an admirable job to aspire to.

project
    Free Member

So you want to wear a green romper suit, drive fast with blue lights on, have drunks assault you, and be sworn at, have little old ladies and men be eternally grateful to you etc, and as above just want a career change.From a corporate drone.

Work voluntarily in a care home, work 12 hour shifts in a care home for the minimum wage, try your hardest to get one of the few vacancies for a paramedic, have the relevant, touchy feely attitude, then just then you may well be accepted fopr tthe 2 year degre training course.

wwaswas

I read on here last week that the best thing you can do is practice sticking canulas in your Mum – the medical world will welcome you with open arms.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about being a Paramedic (Drac?)’ is closed to new replies.