Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Talk to me about alloy Wangas?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Waiting for new steed to arrive, will hopefully get me through the winter without much issue, anything I should know? Comments on Revelation RL also welcome.

Anyone have experience of these bikes? I’ve heard not so good stuff about Elixirs, so plan on swapping for my old SLX, should work with same rotors? :

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No-one?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice looking bike. I’ve got the RLT’s, I like them. They look a bit long there. I spaced them down to 130 on my HT, better compromise for me (the frame is already pretty slack.) Also got Elixirs on a couple of bikes, I like them too, though it does sound like you either get a good set that works fine, or a bad set that doesn’t (though I still think it’s partly because people don’t bleed them properly.)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thanks mrblobby, advice is rlly appreciated as am a bit of a rockshox virgin (only ever used toras and have never had cause to faff with them) historically riding mostly marzocchi or rigid. Any special tools required to take down to 130? Although hilly use predicted so maybe ok, at least I know now it’s possible.

Fingers crossed on the Elixir (3), will see how they fare. As for the Wanga, seems most forums just argue about Halfords and avoid talking about the bike so it’s a leap in the dark for me 8)

superstu
    Free Member

Most of the voodoos are really well rated so this should serve you well

philwarren11
    Free Member

I have a Wanga. Its made up of all the budget bits from the Bokor. Halfords replaced my Bokor when i snapped the chainstay with the Wanga.

Geometry wise its pretty decent, back end felt a bit flexy for me but i’m not the lightest and i rode it pretty hard (probably why the chainstay snapped).

I’m going to be upgrading bits of it to ride more this winter tho.

parkesie
    Free Member

I had one of these with 120 rebas and full xt kit on was a great do it all bike only got the frame as a temporary fix while i waited for my decade to come. Ended up running it for 2 yrs while the decade sat in its box.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Any special tools required to take down to 130?

It’s pretty easy to do, you can buy the spaces from CRC or your LBS. There are instructions online. I was lazy and just asked for it to be done when I sent the forks off for a service 🙂

I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about Voodoo bikes. Does Joe Murray still design them? He did some of the classic Kona’s back in the day and has designed some lovely bikes at Voodoo.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

felt a bit flexy for me but i’m not the lightest and i rode it pretty hard (probably why the chainstay snapped).

😯 Me not the lightest either – eeek! Have you backed off on the Wanga or do you still give it some?

stevied
    Free Member

Mate I ride with had one and he is about 14st. Rode it like he stole it and never had a problem..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thnks o blobby one – will do some study and get prepared just in case they feel too leggy or inhibit climbing.

Don’t know if Joe Murray designed the new alu frames, have admired the steel ones before but with this I’m not expecting it to be awesome just reliable, a bit flickable and not weigh a ton. Last HT was a Genesis Core 20 but it was just too big and the wheels were like anchors, always seems to be the way with off the peg bikes these days – if you get a light frame and good groupset the wheels tend to be the one component that is specced down to a price point. Easier to swap than a groupset but good wheels ain’t cheap…but I think overall the Wanga on paper was a steal with revs and XT

*Edit – thnks stevied, although I would like to be 14st that is still encouraging, will sleep easier tonight 🙂

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Cant speak for the frame but I got almost identical components on my voodoo zobop. Fork was great, I ran it into the ground. Made it 2000 miles with no servicing before stanchion wear appeared. The wheels are heavy and the freehub packed in after 6 or 7 months.

If the frame is designed for 140mm I wouldnt worry about spacing it down.

stevied
    Free Member

will sleep easier tonight

It’s used week in, week out on the Malvern’s too 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It’s used week in, week out on the Malvern’s too

Good job I ride other stuff for niche credits innit 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about alloy Wangas?’ is closed to new replies.