• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Talk to me about alfine and CX bikes.
  • juan
    Free Member

Right it’s done and choosen, I am in the near future going to buy a CX frame, as it’s the best tool for the commuting. At the moment I have in the spare box part:
    Two cranksets (one sora and one XT), a rear 8 speed cassette (up to 32), a rear mech (sora), a pair of tiagra brakes, a set of hoods (sora), an old ITM bull horn handlebar, a more recent scott drop bar, some old round but functionnal 700C wheels and a set of very cute hope XC4 disk brakes. So enough to build a bike. However the SO wants a road bike so I could easily build her a road bike on the cheap. Which beg the question about what groupset for the Rove? Well it’s going to be a commuting machine, so I am considering the idea of a alfine hub.
    Can they be fitted on a standard frame? Can they be used with disk brakes? Can they be used with road or MTB shifters? Are they much heavier? Do they need much maintenance? What gearing do you have? Anyone used them? Etc etc, ta very muchly

loum
    Free Member

Can they be fitted on a standard frame? Can they be used with disk brakes? Can they be used with road or MTB shifters? Are they much heavier? Do they need much maintenance? What gearing do you have? Anyone used them? Etc etc, ta very muchly

Yes, with a chain tensioner to take up the slack a bit like you would going ss on a non-ss frame.
    Yes they are disk hubs, shimano centre-lock rather than 6-bolt though. (but check the one you buy in case there’s a model that isn’t.
    They use their own shifter due to the cable pull being a bit different. There is also a company making alfine road shifters but can’t remember the name.
    They are fairly heavy, and they change the balance of the bike a bit because all the weight is concentrated at the back end. No prob, you get used to it very quick a bit like a suspension fork at the front.
    Minimal maintenance 🙂
    36-20 or 32-20 off road depending on fitness and hillyness. It’s about equivalent to 1×9. On road would be more like 42 front ring. There’s an alfine chainset and the ring is available as 39 or 45 tooth so I guess that’s about normal with an 18 or 20 back sprocket.
    Have used an 8 and an 11. The 8 has a better reliability reputation so would be the recomendation. But I like my 11 and have had no probs yet, touch wood.

juan
    Free Member

Amazing loum thanks very much

Bazz

Pretty sure On one did a pompetamine with Alfine and used Versa 8 speed shifters/brake all in one for drop bars.

Edit – here you go, think they also do 11 speed for the new Alfine,

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/8-speed-versa-vrs8-sti-levers-for-internal-gear-hubs-prod21918/

Edit 2 – http://www.sussex.com.tw/versa.html

boblo
    Free Member

Genesis Day One Alfine (in 8 or 11 flavour).

Cross bike? Check.
    Alfine? Check
    Drop bars? Check
    Versa brifters? Check
    Rack and guard braze ons? Check

Clearances are a bit tight for big tyres (over 32’s) when using guards but apart from that, good value.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have a amphetamine with alfine 11, versa shifters and BB7s. And (I think) 35mm tyres. Heavy but I”ve been riding it on and off road (easy stuff) since April without a hint of maintenance.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I have a newly built on one dirty disco frame with an alfine 11 and hope vtwin brakes. I’m using the versa shifters for drops.
    Frame needs a chain tensioner. It was a bit of a pig to get it all working right. But LBS built it for me, it’s all workIng well so far!

juan
    Free Member

Genesis Day One Alfine (in 8 or 11 flavour).

I know but not available in France.

boblo
    Free Member

Errrm, France is not very far from the UK and I understand postmen regularly ply their trade between our two fine Countries…. However, regardless of choice, you really need to buy your new bike from your LBS eh? 🙂

juan
    Free Member

However, regardless of choice, you really need to buy your new bike from your LBS eh?

Yes I do 😉 Call me crazy if you like 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Can you get Kinesis frames through your LBS?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I sometimes miss my old Singular Peregrine…

8-spd Alfine, with Versa shifters and Shimano brakes. Originally built by Head to the Hills and tweaked by me.

juan
    Free Member

Can you get Kinesis frames through your LBS? [list]

Nope they don’t do it and I am not even sure it’s imported in france.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Im running an 8speed alfine on dropbars with the microshift versa shifters. Very reliable after a horrendous cock up initially (obey the 4th gear and dots when adjusting the cable!) Hub adds significant weight but once rolling seems ok.

Id also buy a spare cable nut and have this in your bike bag.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Genesis are available in France. The only dealer I can remember off the top of my head is in Toulouse but there are more. I can check with our man in France in the morning if you would like?

juan
    Free Member

Hello Mr P cheers but don’t bother, my mind is made on the Kona anyway 😉
    But I really do appreciate the gesture. What you can do howevver is tell me if genesis really are imported in France

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about alfine and CX bikes.’ is closed to new replies.