Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • talk me out of swapping frames!
  • sefton
    Free Member

swapping this:

to this:

looking for a XC mile muncher with a slight racing streak!

the build should come in at 26lb and I’m hoping the seat tube is the only thing I’ll need to change.

mostly 0X, M4’s, 0x grip shifts, Sid race 100mm, tubeless Nobby’s, MT6 Wheels, KCNC stem, bars & ends,

geometry is almost identical to the Rock Lobster too 🙂

2010 frames are £1250 at Wiggle.

what do you think ❓

wwaswas

other things to consider;

where does front mech attach on turner – does it need an e-type one?
    new gear cables
    rear brake hose length.
    chain length
    check head tube length between too – look ok but need to check.

sefton
    Free Member

rocklobster head tube is 120mm
    Flux head tube is 110mm

Frankers
    Free Member

I’d definately do it, the Flux is a great bike especially for that money.

Standard front mech but you will need full length outers.

sefton
    Free Member

bruneep

whenever I change frames I always manage to do a straight component
    ………no expense whatever.
    Well that’s what’s Mrs b is told 😉

SamB
    Free Member

Do it, full sus is great 😈

On a more practical note – if you haven’t ridden a FS or a DW-link bike, do be aware you might take some time to get used to how it feels. I can’t comment here as I’ve not ridden a DW-link but I found I could feel the difference between VPP, FSR and single-pivot (and that I had a preference for VPP).

Hope you enjoy the new bike – remember to post pics when it’s built 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

anyone got a “raw” frame?

whats the finish like? 😆

vondally
    Free Member

sorry or look at titus x racer at on one, very light but more racy aka ols school angles

convert

I might be joining you in this one.

I own a large DW 5spot and whilst I do love it, I have come to the realisation that I want something a bit more racy and XC orientated and ride a few events again. I rode a Scott spark at a demo day yesterday alongside a genius and it just confirmed for me the sort of bike I want to own. The Genius and the 5 Spot are both very capable but just not that fast, and too sat up for the flatter xc type riding I seem to prefer. I have got to be honest to myself – I am a lycra clad rider at heart!

Seriously considered the spark yesterday but with 24hrs to think about it the flux is probably racy enough if a bit heavy in comparison and I could swap more stuff directly across. Still tempted though – the whole 3 position single bar lever (lockout front and rear, traction control limited travel, full travel) and clattery carbon ride and light back end really appealed.

I’ve never actually seen anyone XC race a flux – do they? You do see them at marathon/enduro type events but not in great numbers. I wonder if its the weight that puts people off as the DW suspension is plenty efficient.

sefton
    Free Member
    sefton
    Free Member

I would imagine the flux is a little heavy for XC racing.

However at 6lb it’s not exactly lardy.

I need a allday in the saddle bike.

dickie
    Free Member

I’d go for it, especially at that price – & Turner back up is superb.

Seatpost is 30.9mm diameter.

Frame should come with instructions showing how to mount front mech & if its a Shimano how to trim a lug off the mech to stop it fouling.

Take off the mech hanger & give it a good greasing on the mating face with the rear dropout – lots of people have had issues with creaks on DW Turners, myself included. Turner will send parts straight away but it didn’t cure mine – traced to the mech hanger in the end & I’ve heard of other cases too.

As for cables I went for basic Shimano full length outer & standard SS inner’s but with Middleburn Cable oilers about 2-3″ from each shifter & one on the chainstay above the DW-Link decal on the rear mech outer.

Thats a good price, well below £RRP so treat it to a new headset & get the shop to face the head tube & BB shell, & install the headset cups for free.

Some DW Turner owners also change the top shock eye bush for a roller bearing from Real World Cycling;
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Id look at the titus offer at on one and use the money saved over the flux on a light set of wheels

coogan
    Free Member

Raw finish is awesome.

Front mech is best to use a SRAM X9 top-pull only. The one Turner recommend.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘talk me out of swapping frames!’ is closed to new replies.