Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Talisker Skye Whisky
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any suggestions for the best way to drink it? I’ve just bought a bottle as I’ve always fancied trying it (on sale in Waitrose), as a first attempt to get into proper whisky.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Glass to open mouth and tip head back! 😆

jonnyboi

Try it neat, then try it with ice, then try it with a dash of water. See which way you prefer? I’m guessing with ice will be best

mikey74
    Free Member

Haha well, I figured that bit out myself, although it did take several Airplane-esque failures, before I achieved the required result.

I was thinking more like water/no water, ice/no ice etc

@ jonnyboi: I tried it neat and it was a little harsh, which is why I thought I’d ask. i appreciate it’s a controversial subject, though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Neat, then a drop of water, then maybe a splash. Last ever an ice cube. Or make an old fashioned with it or maybe a sour.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Any suggestions for the best way to drink it?

What Barry said, then elaborate to suit your taste buds.
    You can ask what you like about whisky, whiskey, wine, rum, etc etc on here but It’s all a matter of taste!

Yak

Just neat imo. It’s lovely stuff. Tbh I drink most just neat. Even the cask strength stuff but take smaller sips with those and hold it for longer to get the best out of the flavour.

scruff9252

Try it neat, then try adding a splash of water – literally half a tea spoons worth. Its not to dilute it per se, more to open the flavour up and reduce the “harshness”.

Cheaper whiskies you can end up doing 0.5:1 water to whisky if it’s a fairly crap one.

Try to avoid ice if you can, that mutes the flavour and imo looses too much of the taste.

Above all, do what works best for you.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Obviously you won’t want to be using any old water, you’ll need artisan water specially sourced for whisky…

https://www.whiskyshop.com/source-water-three-regions-gift-pack-3-x-10cl-3230

Once you’ve got that sorted I’ll show you where to buy some magic beans.

gordimhor

Don’t drink it it’s awful. Send your bottle to me for safe disposal

ransos
    Free Member

Talisker distillery recommends a small amount of cool water. Ice completely kills the flavour.

duncancallum

I have a splash of water only in mine. It’s peated so not to everyone’s taste. If it’s too Smokey try a non peated whisky.

scruff9252

thegreatape – Member
    Obviously you won’t want to be using any old water, you’ll need artisan water specially sourced for whisky…

https://www.whiskyshop.com/source-water-three-regions-gift-pack-3-x-10cl-3230

Ha! Although having tasted some of the crap that comes out of the tap in the South East of England, I can quite believe wanting to buy some drinkable water to add to your whisky.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Just mix it with Cola or Lemonade- lovely.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I find the smokey / peaty malts are better out of doors. You don’t get the best of them in the house, but ideal in a bivy or camp.

Maybe I should try a splash of water indoors.

simondbarnes

Goes well in lemsip if you’ve got a bit of a cold.

BurnBob
    Free Member

Should have saved your money and scooped up some water from a peat bog instead. Tastes the same.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Talisker Skye Whisky’ is closed to new replies.