Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Taking your bike on a train..
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Is it just a case of rock up, buy yer ticket and get on?
    I’m talking off peak, mid week, and not through London…
    Thinking Chester – Wales..

joshvegas
    Free Member

Depends on the route. The train company websites are your friend. Turning up with a bike to discover all three designated spaces on the train are taken is a bugger so I advise you book wwenever you can

Houns

Depends on train co. I’ve booked mine on virgin for wolves > Chester tomorrow

molgrips
    Free Member

Virgin – book, and keep your fingers crossed anyway.

FGW south Wales to London – just rock up.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have also been looking at doing this – and it seems the days of ‘just rocking up’ is compromised/more of a faff. The rules and fees differ between operators so I would say it’s worth checking their respective bike policy beforehand, assuming you have a service/route in mind.

Ahh, those halcyon days back in the 80s when you just threw all yr bike and gear in the guard/mail carriage, no questions asked, helpful staff, jumpers for goalposts

scotroutes

Best to book. In my experience the staff will help out as much as possible. Scotrail seem pretty relaxed about it.

FWIW I love train trips with the bike they are either a good start to a wee adventure or a chance to reflect on one just ending.

Houns

I was going to ride Chester > Stourbridge along the Shropshire union tomorrow but felt wise not to after recent poor health

tinribz
    Free Member

Some let you book, some say just turn up,check the websites. If it’s full get the next train.

butcher

Depends on the train operator. Most only have space for a couple of bikes. But I’ll echo that the staff have been very helpful on the small number of occasions I’ve used trains. One time the driver put my bike in the cab with him when the luggage area was full.

Book if you can, and hope for the best.

loddrik
    Free Member

How exactly do you ‘rock up’…

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Book for any operator thru Southern Rail website as you can reserve bike spots easily on their booking page. Others don’t make it so easy…

rhbrhb
    Free Member

P.s. Chester -> Wales most likely a Northern Rail little train, just chuck bike on no need to book.

johndoh
    Free Member

If you need to ask, you’ve no hope.

pondo

Rode to Aberystwyth and got the train home a few weeks back, checked on national rail enquiries site which will helpfully point you towards the operator – in our case it was Arriva Wales, it said capacity was two bikes and best to book so thought we better had. No-one asked a thing about reservations, and a couple of stops along the ticket lady asked us if we could squeeze our bikes over so they could get another one in. 🙂

Used to take a bike on the train between Birmingham and Banbury – as long as you use the right carriage no-one seemed to mind, only ever had one jobsworth on a Virgin train that had five or six bikes on give me any grief, and even he didn’t do anything other than grumble that he could make me get off at the next stop. Which, as that was the stop I needed, wouldn’t have been a problem anyhow. 🙂 Still, if it’s a route you’ve not been on before, makes sense to check their policy and reserve if that’s an option. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

With a bike, and wearing bike clothing, I would say it’s not possible.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

That will be with Arriva trains. They are great with bikes. I used to commute with them from Chester to Warrington,peak hour times and never once in 2 years was I or any other cyclist bumped off a journey. The bike carriage is designed for 2 bikes but easily accomodates 4. They would let us stand in carriage entrance if that was full. Tell them I said hi 8)

wordnumb
    Free Member

Helpful hint: if you ride with a wide (or normal mtb) handlebar it’s worth turning the stem 90 degrees on the platform as this allows you to squeeze your bike into spaces that are generally too small for purpose.

letmetalktomark

Slightly OT but worth consideration …. maybe ….

I sometimes take my bike on the train to work.

On train 1 I can sit in sight of my bike but train 2 the bike has to go in a specific bike carriage.

Now this isn’t a huge worry for me as there is only one stop after I get on and before I get off.

If your traveling a decent distance with multiple stops and a bike specific store I would consider taking a lock. Purely for piece of mind.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Definintely book it it’s a PITA but you can get people being awkward on local trains sitting/dumping luggage in the bike space if it’s busy. Shortens the arguments.

llama

Now this isn’t a huge worry for me as there is only one stop after I get on and before I get off.

Been taking expensively unsuitable for commuting bikes on the train for 15 years and never lost one due to this, although I am prepared to pull the emergency cord if I see it being wheeled down the platform.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Letmetalktomark wrote: If your traveling a decent distance with multiple stops and a bike specific store I would consider taking a lock. Purely for piece of mind.

Some (most, in fact) train lines will throw a wobbly about locking your bike inside a carriage / guard van. I’ve done long journeys with nice bikes in a separate carriage, never had a problem. That said, at each stop I have my eyes fixed on the platform beside access to wherever the bike is stored.

The concern, imo, is more the disregard shown for your bike by other bike travellers. My bike has never been damaged but I’ve had words with someone hurriedly bending bikes out of the way so he could fit his BSO in.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What about bikes on busses?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member

Kinda not really geared up for them are they? Mind, I’ve seen a few with bike racks on the back of them…

butcher

Dismantle it and put it in bag. Should be fine.

Houns

I’ve taken a bike on the bus before. Years ago, had rear mech/rear wheel interface. Flagged the bus, asked the driver and he said it was fine. Just made sure I was overly polite/helpful to the old dears on the bus as they got on/off (there was plenty of room to get by still)

MrOvershoot

Apart from the ferry over the Mersey I have little choice but to take the bike on the train under the Mersey on my commute. Still waiting for the pedalo version of Boris bikes here 😉
    TBH Merseyrail are fairly well sorted for bikes but it can get a tight squeeze if they drop the occasional 6 carriage to 3 during rush hour.
    Its still quicker from Birkenhead to Liverpool city center by bike/train than car 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Taking your bike on a train..’ is closed to new replies.