• This topic has 41 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Taking payment.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

if you were selling an item, value around £1k, to a stranger. Would you just take cash, or would you take extra measures, like pop down the bank with them and get them to pay the cash into your account?

ton

cash is good. or are you thinking of the possibility it may be counterfeit?

scotroutes

Unless I had reason to suspect the cash was forged, then I can’t see what advantage the latter offers.

Jamie
    Free Member

That thought is always at the back of my mind, Ton. Thinking having it paid direct into the bank by the buyer removes that, admittedly minute, risk.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cash.

If you are worried then go to the bank with that person.

Or bank to bank transfer … UK banks only.

ton

bank transfer then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course, when he says “item” he means “service”.

seavers
    Free Member

If cash, you can minimise risk further by not accepting fifty pound notes. Last time I sold something over 1k the guy paid with half in 50’s. Made me quite nervous until it was safe in the bank!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Used notes only.

bearnecessities

Didn’t you take it in the garage last time?

Jamie
    Free Member

Didn’t you take it in the garage last time?

#butseks

dc11
    Free Member

I was selling a car many years back for around that kind of money. I paused midway through counting the cash as the note just didn’t feel right, sure enough it was fake, along with another £100 or so of other notes.

I was working in retail at the time so had been trained how to spot forged notes, especially by feel. I frogmarched the chap who ‘had no idea, mate’ to my local shop and checked the remainder with their scanner.

oliwb
    Free Member

Take a closer look….

IIRC the red “ink” should smudge off on to the test medium (white paper)…..

JoeG
    Free Member

Paypal Gift, surely! 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Interesting. After telling potential buyer my plan for him to pay cash into account at bank, I have heard nothing more.

Probably an innocent reason 😐

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

or maybe they decided to buy elsewhere

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe they did, mate. Maybe they did.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

okay I’ll be mature now

For that kind of cash Id want to go to the bank with them or at the very least have them transfer into bank account which is pretty much instant checking money was in before letting them have item…however payment can be reversed via bank transfer.

What are you selling btw ?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Bank transfer or paypal above £100 for me.. If buyer is legit surely there is no excuse not to do bank transfer.. Saying that ages ago i bought a toyota 4×4 worth £2500 and paid with mostly £10notes and just some £20’s don’t seem to bother him 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

The problem with Paypal, and the buyer collecting, is if your buyer is the nefarious sort, then you could be boned. As they can claim not receiving the goods, and you cannot prove you handed them over as no shipping documentation.

jamj1974

Having bought and sold a couple of things recently I had the same concern regarding recieving counterfeit money. I went with the guy to pay cash into my bank account so I could be comfortable the money was kosher.

In terms of buying I had zero issues with a great seller -and my making of a payment thanks Northwind!

Jamie
    Free Member

I went with the guy to pay cash into my bank account so I could be comfortable the money was kosher.

The problem with this scenario, apparently, is if you’re the buyer there will be a point where you will have paid the cash into someone’s account, and not have your hand/eyes on the goods. So if everyone does a runner, you’re boned.

jamj1974

He brought it with him!

boblo
    Free Member

Put the bike in the back of the rusty Fiesta, drive to bank with buyer+bike, pay money into account, release bike to buyer. There now, not so difficult eh?

Jamie
    Free Member

There now, not so difficult eh?

Slow down there Einstein. Dumb it down a bit, yeah?

I have to put a rusty what in the fiesta bank?

boblo
    Free Member

HTH. 🙂

I’ll even come along as the ‘enforcer’ for 10%. However in this instance this just means whining ‘please pay and please don’t hurt us’ 🙂

DrP

Your problem is you’re dealing with currency that is easy to fake, but hard to spot.
    Now, if you were to complete your transaction in, say, camels, then you’re fine. I mean – who’s ever heard of a fake camel?

DrP

boblo
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ve seen a few fake camels toes being a GP…..

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Get to know the person first, then their not a stranger.

Jamie
    Free Member

I mean – who’s ever heard of a fake camel?

DrP

I see…
    There’s no solution I’m afraid…

DrP

boblo
    Free Member

I bet you’ve used that line in the surgery as well…

IHN

however payment can be reversed via bank transfer.

No, it can’t. Well, it can if it’s by BACS under certain scenarios and in certain timescales, but hardly anyone uses BACS these days.

DrP

I’ve told people modern medicine has no cure for them…

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

There’s no solution I’m afraid…

There is: Trust 😉

footflaps

I’ve bought and sold motorbikes using cash up to £5k. Didn’t bother me as I always hold the other party hostage, at gun point, until the cash clears in the bank.

Jamie
    Free Member

There is: Trust

You would say that you shifty bastard.

Then once you have my money….POW! RIGHT IN THE KISSER!

DezB
    Free Member

I never strike the first blow 😆

footflaps

Don’t people know how to throw a punch anymore?

Any wider and he’d catch the lamppost trying to hit him…..

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t people know how to throw a punch anymore?

Says the man who uses weapons.

I’ve bought and sold motorbikes using cash up to £5k. Didn’t bother me as I always hold the other party hostage, at gun point, until the cash clears in the bank.

If it was me, I would have held them at fist point.

*flexes*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Taking payment.’ is closed to new replies.