• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sven.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Taking part in an Ironman
  • flange
    Free Member

Righty,

Bit of a chat at work and a general lack of direction with my training has led me to consider doing an Ironman. I've done quite a few duathalons and I've raced a fair bit both on road and off with my bikes so I like to think I'm not starting from scratch. This time last year I was 3 stone heavier than I am now so I know I'm closer than I was then.

So, how much chance is there of me completing an Ironman say this time next year? I can comfortably ride a century, I swim twice a week doing a couple of miles each time and can comfortably run 6'ish miles at the moment (although I'm doing no specific running/swimming training as such). Is 12 months too short a period to increase my mileage to that extent?

Any other tips, other than get a life and stop posting on the interweb?

TooTall
    Free Member

How about a half Ironman to see how you go first?

will
    Free Member

Sounds like you'll be fine to be honest, just maybe start training a little more?

It depends it your looking for a result or just a finish?

david_r
    Free Member

I reckon anyone could do it with a year to prep up. You'll need to enter a year before anyway for the popular races! as they fill up stupidly fast. If you're thinking of IMUK though you'll probably be OK regarding entry.

oldgit
    Free Member

No problem unless you get an injury. Done it myself.

flange
    Free Member

See, I did think about a half Ironman, but with the cost and time involved maybe I should just MTFU and get on with it? Of course, this is all said from the confines of a warm office having just eaten a BIG piece of cake so my perspective may be slightly skewed.

I'm just looking to complete it to be honest. Getting round/not dying will be a major achievement

david_r
    Free Member

I can recommend this…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Iron-Fit-Time-efficient-Training/dp/1592282393/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274193117&sr=8-1

3 different 30 week training schedules depending on how much time you've got and what your aspirations are.

simon_g

A year of decent preparation should be OK, the difficulty is getting time to get the really long rides/runs in if you work and have any other interests or a family. A friend did it last year but she had been made redundant a few months before, and used her payout to live on rather than finding another job straight away so she had clear days to get the training in.

Personally I have enough difficulty making my legs run after the 40k of an olympic distance tri. A marathon seems difficult for most short-distance runners, attempting one after a 180km cycle at a decent pace needs a lot of working up to, and you can't really get your body used to it if you only get a couple of hours free at a time.

oldgit
    Free Member

I did mine in 1985 and there wasn't alot of information out there back then certainly no forums.
    I was road racing and fitting in some 1/2 marathons. the year before I'd dome some marathons and an Ultra (polaroid SDW run) also back then sunday runs with the road club were a 100 miles it wasn't a big deal.
    The only problem was I couldn't swim I certainly couldn't crawl, two lengths max and I had six months to get up to 2 miles plus. I actually found that if I crawled for ten lengths it became easier after that and within two months I was up to 72 lengths. When it became warmer I trained in the Serpentine which I think is a 1/4 mile in length. One you get over the cold it's ok and you don't have to worry about chlorine in your eyes. In fact I competed without goggles, again there was only little speedo goggles and trunks back then and no wetsuits.
    I did the event though the swim was reduced due to the very low surface temperature we needed a medical and hot drink after the swim.
    I got up to 3rd place overall after the cycle, I was probably the only roadie there and got a lot of encouragement as I whizzed along. Sadly I paid for it in the run, I think my spine fell out of my arse along the way.
    Worth the effort, look how long I've been dining out on it 🙂

stever
    Free Member

Build up to some long runs and see if you actually like it? There's an Ironman in me somewhere, but I'm too time-poor to make the sacrifices.

njee20
    Free Member

Austria is meant to be the one to do.

flange
    Free Member

Many thanks for the replies chaps – much appreciated.

I've done a fair bit of thinking and I'm going to go for it. Had a brief look at the IronmanUK website and theres a training resource thing on there so I'll give them a call to see if they can help. I feel fairly confident on the swim and bike at the moment so really its just the run I need to sort out.

I'm away from home 3 days a week which free's up my evenings for some long distance running without upsetting the Mrs. I figure at some point soon I'm going to want to start a family so it'll be much easier to do this now rather than when I've got nappies to be changing. Or something! And 26 miles is only 6 times around Virginia Waters – how hard can it be (!)

oldgit
    Free Member

I decided to do mine after reading an article about the Hawaii Ironman. As a side to the main article they ran a piece about a guy who had won a competition by Smirnoff to enter and get trained for any sporting event of his choice, now the guy was a serious couch potato but decided he wanted to do the Hawaii Ironman. And to cut a long story short he did it.

njee20 nah Peterborough was the Ironman capitol in 1985.

phinbob

Check out the runners world forum and search for 'Pirate Ship of Fools' loads of 'normal' people there doing Iron Distance events.

andrewh
    Free Member

So, how much chance is there of me completing an Ironman say this time next year? I can comfortably ride a century, I swim twice a week doing a couple of miles each time and can comfortably run 6'ish miles at the moment (although I'm doing no specific running/swimming training as such). Is 12 months too short a period to increase my mileage to that extent?

Plenty of chance of completing it. Little hope of winning it at this stage, but 12 months training should see you to a good time. As someone above said try a 1/2 first.

convert

I'd serious consider giving the UK one a miss. After doing a few of the continental ones, and a couple of halves and wholes in the US; The UK one (which I have also done) is pants to be honest. Little atmosphere or support and it's always nice to play away! Austria and Switzerland are good, but I'd also consider Lanzarote. Further afield (NZ, Perth or Florida) were good too but a bit more pricey when you take into account travel etc. There are plenty of other differently branded "ironman" distance events both in the UK and overseas (Challenge Roth in German or the Forestman in the New Forest for example) which are just as good.

To be honest, you sound fit enough to do one tomorrow let alone next year. IM running isn't real running and the rest is about learning to pace yourself and eat and drink enough. Obviously the more trained you are the more there is a chance you might actually enjoy the experience and also have the satisfaction of knowing you did it about as fast as your physiology is capable.

Don't discount shorter distances unless its the status symbol of a full distance that attracts you. A well raced half distance can be just as hard. I gave up Iron distance racing as I got fed up of racing and training at a pace slow enough to never get out of breath.

rhys
    Free Member

I'd second what convert says and add, the UK Ironman is simply there to suck money straight from your wallet. I did it in 2005, gutted wih a 12.31 time. Even more gutted with Canadian brother in law who qualified for Hawaii!! (under 10hours)Was on course for 11 hours when my legs fell off on the run. Again as convert says running after the bike bears no resemblance to running!! A few weeks before I had done a hilly 18 mile run in just under 2 hours. The IM run took me 4.45!! you can walk a marathon in that time just about! Still I am over it now.

Anyway back to my point, if you are used to Mountain Mayhem etc then IM will come as a shock.
    Entry fee, that will be £250
    You want to camp, that will be £50 for the weekend
    Pasta part pish
    Food for the kids again pricy
    Entertainment non existent.
    Ah but what about all the trade stands? No its a closed shop

We drove away skint at the end. Crap T shirt too. All in all the experience was a let down. Look on ww.tritalk.com and read about what the continental races are like, they sound much better organised.

If you are dead hard try the Embrunman. Watched it the week before my IM. Try the Col du Izoard(Hors Cat Tour climb) as part of the deal.

Good luck

Sven

From what you say you won't need 12 month to train, I considered myself reasonably fit when I decided to do an Ironman 10 years ago (but with far less training than you seem to do at the moment already) and did four month of 'specific' training, never looked in a training book or similar.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Taking part in an Ironman’ is closed to new replies.