Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Taking a knife to a gunfight
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Off out with a mate on a local loop today, i’m on

he’s on

whats the worst that could happen????

TBH i think i’ll be a bit under biked, he’ll be a bit over biked, but its all good 🙂

Anyone else’s group ride vastly outpooned?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Upgrade to single speed & you’ll slice him to ribbons 🙂

scotroutes

It used to be fairly common to have the only rigid, fat bike while others were on 4-5″ travel FS.

nbt

Quite often do that when I’m out with the Mrs – I ride a rigid 29er or my CX, she’s on her turner flux with dropper seatpost. It’s all riding, and it’s better to be out than not

Murray

@scotroutes – but is it made of bamboo?

qwerty
    Free Member

Upgrade to single speed & you’ll slice him to ribbons

Its always an option :mrgreen:

Northwind

I never know til i’m in the garage exactly what bike I’m going to ride so it’s not often our group makes total sense. “Why have you brought a rigid carrera?” “It’ll be fun!” “This is an uplift day” “Easier to get on the truck!”

mark90
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter which bike I take on a our group rides I’m always out gunned, up and down. But that’s due to legs and skills, not bikes.

Drac

whats the worst that could happen????

His shock explodes.

I’ve ridden my Kona Jake the Snake loads of times when others have been on FS, apart from a bit prone to snakebites it wasn’t an issue at all.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

IME, over biked makes for less satisfaction from the ride. Under biked seems to have a larger range of reward before it becomes not-fun.

Pyro

I often take my cross bike on rides where mates take full sussers, but most of them only own one bike so it’s a necessity thing rather than by choice. I wait for them at the top of the climbs, they wait for me at the bottom of the descents.

AlexSimon

In this scenario it’s always best to be on the underbike.
    Everything is a win.
    You’ll have an ace time. Just don’t let him lead you down anything steep with the drop in the middle. Lack of crosstops and saddle up your bum don’t do that.

And don’t forget that going fast is easy, but when you brake for that corner…

coconut
    Free Member

Neither of you has pedals… so I call a draw.

davidjey
    Free Member

Neither of you has pedals… so I call a draw

Good point. Far more pleasant to hobby-horse on the FS than the CX, but you can carry the CX bike up the hills on your shoulder.

birdage

I’m always the petulant one on the weird bike. Only time it’s less than fun is when they decide on what is essentially a 30 mile road trip and I’m on the SS MTB

sam_underhill

I’m doing the same on Sunday. 120mm FS on a CX event (which is 60% on road!) with a bunch of guys on cx bikes. Feels like I’m taking a 50mm cannon to a knife fight. I assume I’m going to be made to look slow. Although that may not be just the bikes fault!

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve only got a cx bike a the moment, been riding some of my favourite mtb singletrack on it and have been quite surprised at how capable it is, even on steep chutes that had me flustered on the mtb not too long ago. I have discovered that rock gardens aren’t remotely pleasant though.

Andy-R

Scienceofficer – Member
    IME, over biked makes for less satisfaction from the ride. Under biked seems to have a larger range of reward before it becomes not-fun.

Which is why when I’m out with other people I ride a rigid single speed 90% of the time. I’d far rather be under-biked than over-biked in a social situation.

adsh
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. For some reason it’s fine to dissappear into the distance on climbs but bad form not to wait at the bottom of descents.

D0NK

For some reason it’s fine to dissappear into the distance on climbs but bad form not to wait at the bottom of descents.

aslong as you wait at the top you should be fine – just bear in mind it’s winter and you’re gonna get cold waiting if you’re proper quick. If you don’t wait at the top/bottom then it’s not a social ride anymore is it? Aslong as whoever is at the back (up or down) has company nearby then the fast ones can let rip on a section imo.

Aslong as you don’t get 15 pinch punctures along the way cx v fs will be fine OP. I can cx most of the local downhills (very slowly) that I can on my mtb but the chance of a puncture is considerably higher.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I once took a 2.35 tyred singlespeed to a fatbike beach ride. I felt ‘woefully underbiked’.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Taking a knife to a gunfight’ is closed to new replies.