Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Taking a hammer to a carbon frame
  • NagsNog
    Free Member

Would like to see the two forks off the niner video then put through stress loading test after hitting them with the hammer thats the only thing that would prove which is strongest rather that just whats visible….

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I had a Diamond Back WCF 4.0 from 1996, Woven CF tubes bonded to Chromoly lugs, the downtube/headtune bond broke, but I didn't realise for a year or two, rode it effectively without a down tube without any problems.

Free Member

errr … the frames don't have bottom brackets! – just held together with a toptube hence pulling it apart.

fontmoss
    Free Member

"ah but when it fails its catstrophic"

to be fair if i do something which results in hitting my bike hard enough to cause a catastrophic failure i think im probably pretty **** anyway

terrahawk
    Free Member

this reminds me of stupid Gadget Show 'tests' where they fill plasma tellies full of water to see which is best, or on Top Gear where they drop caravans onto cars to see which conducts electic best, or something.

a bit crap and pointless in other words.
    don't **** your bike with a hammer kids.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Both of those video tests are utterly pointless – neither test is controlled, neither test shows *internal* damage to the carbon that can massively weaken CF without any apparent visible damage and even the niner demo says you'd not want to ride it after that test, so while he points out it looks fine, it's still FUBAR.

Utterly pointless.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

At least he can recycle the Aluminium one…..

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Taking a hammer to a carbon frame’ is closed to new replies.