• This topic has 66 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Taking a chance – Any questions about the Big Bike Bash?
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Hi Mods – feel free to pull this thread if you want to. I am stuck at home, the wife is in bed drugged up to her eye balls after nearly breaking her back. I have to stay awake until 11pm to give her last set of pain killers / anti inflamatories and there is sod all on TV.

Anyway. If tyhis thread survives are there any questions about the big Bike Bash?

I promoted the hell out of it about two years ago as some old timers will remember but there is a whole new intake since then.

Have you heard of it? Are you coming? Why not? etc…

I will start with:

Q) Can I bring my dog?
    A) Not to the Avon Tyrrell site. There is a camp site about 1/2 a mile away that allows dogs though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you guarantee that my wife will not have the baby that weekend?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Conceive or Give Birth to?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hopefully BBB is chucking STW some beer tokens for these threads…..

kevj
    Free Member

What is this ‘Big Bike Bush’ that I may (or may not) have a question about?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Jamie – if you are the bloke I drunked with at MM then you know there are a wad of beer tokens for the STW mob. If you are the only one who makes it then it is your duty to drink the lot!

don’t worry, i got the nice email from the mods this mornign and promise to behave (a bit)

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – if you are the bloke I drunked with at MM then you know there are a wad of beer tokens for the STW mob. If you are the only one who makes it then it is your duty to drink the lot!

I am not that Jamie, but good to know you’re recognising their generosity 😉

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

KevJ – Google it you lazy frekker.

It is the best Bike festival combined with Music Festival combined with Beer Festival in the UK.

More fun that fun stuff with beer and a lake jump. Big Maggy the Pro racer is coming so if you reckon you can ride take him on. He is used to winning road races, trivial stuff (http://www.bigmaggys.com/) so you probably have an advantage. 😉

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

jamie – now we know each other it would be rude not to attend.

ton

how hilly is the race course…………..cos i can’t tackle hills with my bad ticker, but i still want to race ride.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ton, not too hilly mate, gentle stuff mostly and some nice singletrack. OK for plodders like me! 😉

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Ton – we have the short course which is flat but between trees. about 3 – 5 minute lap.

Failing that we have the toddlers challenge which is on flat grass with under 5’s on push along bikes. 😉

ton

i better get me leg’s shaved then……….. 😀

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

We have full shaving facilities.

if you go for a full Brazilian i will sort you out some beer tokens*!

*Other people may need alcohol just to comprehend the event.

thomthumb
    Free Member

can we change the date – i have a wedding to go to 🙁

julianwilson
    Free Member

Will there be the malt loaf contest and the ‘inappropropriate bike’ race again? I can’t decide which of those two was my raddest moment last year.

Also, night races? Pleeeeeeease?

RichJJ
    Free Member

Whats the long range weather forecast ? My £26 6 man tent off Ebay struggled a little last year, we didnt even have to leave the tent to have a shower !! Kids still really looking forward to it and cant wait, wif enot quite as enthusiastic though but I have promised sun without fail 😕

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

julian – Sorren marketing woman has changed so I am buying a couple of crates of malt loaf to make sure it happens.

Night race might have a brave new sponsor with some craking prizes. Or even possiby 2 different night races.

To many sponsors and prizes to give away!

Rich – 1st year we had wall to wall sunshine and people complained about sun burn. Last year we had wall to wall rain and people complained.

This year we are going for a mix of the two but with the focus on not raining.

RichJJ
    Free Member

1st year we had wall to wall sunshine and people complained about sun burn. Last year we had wall to wall rain and people complained.

This year we are going for a mix of the two but with the focus on not raining.

Cheers, I’l let her know

ps its 11pm !!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I came back down after doping her up but thanks for the reminder. She is okay but a bit spaced out.

I frikin hate this being sat alone at night.

I guess 20 years of being happily in love freks your brain or something. TV is crud when watching on your own. Even Duval aint workin

Muke
    Free Member

Any info on the beer/bands menu yet ?

I’m thinking 29er not so good for the bike limbo 🙄

slowuphill
    Free Member

thinking of going to the bbb with kids, wife dog etc. But seeing this post says no dogs on the site then maybe not. What is this site 1/2 mile away?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Holmsley Caravan Park and Campsite
    Forest Road
    Thorney Hill
    Bransgore
    Christchurch
    Dorset
    England
    BH23 7EQ

T: 01425 674502
    Grid Ref: OS195 215 991

kerv
    Free Member

I have a question. How do I convince my wife who’s not interested in the bikes and hates camping that it would be a good idea to bring our 14 month old and 2.5yr old along?

peteimpreza

Will the TORQ bus be there selling their wares?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

kery – Quote from the News page on the website : Don’t like bikes. Don’t like bikers. He forced me to come and never had a better time. Just sort out the weather.

I guess she was of a similar view to your wife. If you google for the event there are a few threads around with people who came with kids and loved it. The Heart Radio website has some good pictures of what fun it is with events for both of your kids to take part in.

Remind her that with you competing, her spectating and the two kids you will get 2-3 day holiday for £50.02p. The whole event started because my wife hates bike events because she is bored and left holding everything. The BBB is the antidote to that.

Lots of stuff for non-bikers too. If camping is a major issue there may still be rooms in the big house available. You will need to contact Avon Tyrrell directly for those. they are cheap and think Youth hostel not hotel. But they are clean and indoors.

Pete – Torq are there. From the sponsors page :

TORQ have decided to support BBB for a second year because quite frankly we think the whole event is a great idea. Where else do you get to invent and sponsor your own race format? The idea behind the TORQ Extreme XC Spectacular is that the race is relatively short in XC terms (only 30 minutes), but it’s much longer than your standard short-track event. By keeping the racing loop short and tight, looping back into the arena regularly per lap, this will make the event exciting for both rider and spectator. How many times have you ridden out of the arena, had a fab lap, but never been properly heckled and cheered by the crowd, even if you’ve been having a real tear-up with another competitor for the entire lap? Now’s your chance to revel in the spotlight and for the spectators to be properly engaged in your race. We might even put the odd ‘interesting’ obstacle on course to stimulate a bit of ‘Oooooooh’ and ‘Ahhhhhhhh’.

peteimpreza

So down to the nitty gritty.

Has the real ale list been finalised?

Slogo
    Free Member

where is it?

luke
    Free Member

looking at the list of sponsors for this years BBB, i’d say the beer list has been decided.
    What it is I wouldn’t know.

luke
    Free Member

It’s held here

Mike_D
    Free Member

Is there a sacrificial communal lake jump bike or do you have to bring your own?*

* this is not to be taken as a statement of intent 🙂

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

we provide a bike for the lake jump if you dont want to use your own

Muke
    Free Member

Plenty of options when it comes to bike choice…

Even invisible ones…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nice tagging up there^^. 😕 (miserable and presumably chicken poster hasn’t replied in that spirit to the actual thead).

Am I the only one with a sooper dooper internet browser that allows me to choose not to open a thread on a topic I am fed up with?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Beer list :
    2×9 from Irving & Co Portsmouth
    2×9 from Cheriton Brewhouse
    2×9 from FFF , Alton
    2×9 from Isle of Purbeck
    4 x 9 From IVB ( 2 Gold , 2 a n other )

Didn’t see the tagging but looks like some one deleted it 😉

peteimpreza

2×9 ? gears? pints? gallons?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Firkins I think. Ask ‘Rob the Beer’ as he is sorting it.

Andy

Q) Can I bring my dog?
    A) Not to the Avon Tyrrell site. There is a camp site about 1/2 a mile away that allows dogs though

🙁

peteimpreza

A firkin is 72 pints

Andy if you can get a dog sitter we have a spare berth in our chalet

ton

the beer list looks ace, as does the lake jump.

i may be tempted to partake in both…….. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Taking a chance – Any questions about the Big Bike Bash?’ is closed to new replies.