Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Take pump and CO2?
  • andybrad

Ok last week I was out round my usual tootle around calderdale and one of the lads commented on the weight of my backpack. It was suggested that I think about loosing a few bits of kit from it to make it lighter. However being the pessimistic fellow that I am I am also wondering what other folks carry.

So Ive dropped the pliers and adjustable spanner which I admit were excessive but Im now thinking about loosing other bits of kit. Do you think its necessary to be taking both a pump and CO2 with you on a ride? Im yet to experience my first flat after moving to tubeless and its worrying me greatly. Also what would you take as a puncture repair? I’m currently taking a spare tube and some of the old school parches and rubber cement. Thinking about it Im probably not going to have time to repair it using the rubber cement on a ride but having never done it Im not sure?

Currently my backpack is weighing in at about 5 kg which i didn’t think was too bad?

Drac

5Kg what the hell you got in that?

amedias
    Free Member

Currently my backpack is weighing in at about 5 kg

😯

Road ride < 50 miles

– 1x tube in jersey pocket
    – multitool in jersey
    – Pump and CO2 (combined jobby) on bike

Road ride up to 100 miles:

– 2x tube, patches and glue in right jersey pocket
    – multitool and snacks in left jersey pocket
    – waterproof in middle jersey pocket
    – Pump and CO2 (combined jobby) on bike

MTB ride < 20 miles

– multitool, patches and pump in pockets, or just wing it!

MTB ride < 50 miles

– 1x tube, patches and glue in right jersey pocket
    – multitool pump in left jersey pocket
    – waterproof in middle jersey pocket
    – bottle on bike or left at home/drink at a cafe

MTB ride > 50 miles

Stuff all the above in small Camelback with extra layers, spare brake pads and hanger, another tube, more snacks, small first aid kit and space blanket.

andybrad

well
    multi tool
    pen knife
    tube
    patches
    pump
    co2
    chain link pliers
    spare pads
    hanger
    power link
    1.5l of water
    bag of jelly babies
    wallet / keys / phone
    pacamac
    light
    kriega r25 backpack

all tips just over 5kg

torsoinalake
    Free Member
    mintimperial

Tubeless repair kit (other kits available). Effective repair of a tubeless tyre with a normal patch kit would be, erm, challenging out on the trails…

Personally I think CO2 and a pump is overkill on short pootles, but I do sometimes take both on long rides where I don’t want to hang around getting cold in bad weather for any longer than necessary. Spare tubes are a good idea though.

Drac

Lose:

Pen Knife
    Chain Link Pliers
    Spare Pads

and the well, just us a bladder.

TiRed

My road tool bottle has
    Lezyne Pump
    2xCO2 and nanoflate
    2x tubes
    1x multitool including tyre levers
    1x chain link
    2x Park patches#
    Gloves
    Small first aid kit of dressings, swab and gloves
    Duct Tape

Think it is about 600g

Off road I take a Deuter Race backpack, but it doesn’t have much more in it.

After four punctures, it’s time to call it a day!

andybrad

I got this for the tubeless repair and tbh its a) Massive and b) It doesnt instill confidence.
    http://tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1265&category=24

andybrad

Btw this is going in a backpack that weighs 1.5kg. maybe its time to think about a new one?
    http://www.kriega.com/r20/

DanW
    Free Member

I just take a small pump (Topeak’s smallest), Park Super Patches, Park tyre patch and 2 tubes as far as punctures go. Running tubeless gets rid of most of the puncture problems and Tubes are plan b. Park Super Patches really are awesome and are a small, light Plan C (or plan B if you run tubes) 😀

Never felt the need for CO2 on a ride out and about and it just another thing to carry when the pump is only a tiny bit bigger and barely any different in weight. Don’t think CO2 and Stans fluid are happy campers when they mix too. Small multi-tool with everything needed on, tyre lever, and a tiny box (old Park repair kit box) with chain links, gear cable, spare pads and some random bolts is more than enough IMO.

All of that including phone, cash, card, keys fits in a standard 3 pocket jersey. If it’s a short ride then there’s room for gels too and I put the bottle on the bike. If it is a longer ride then I tend to have a small pack to carry the extra fluid and maybe another layer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Take pump and CO2?’ is closed to new replies.