Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Take 'em down, NOW!
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Increase my own self worth??? By thinking it's chavvy to have a flag on your car, oh dear, oh dear.

I'll happily share my opinion of covering your car in flags with anyone. Granted I'm unlikely to walk up to a stranger in a street and tell them, but that's the beauty of internet forums isn't it?

If you overheard me calling a friend a chav because of his flag, would you stroll over and tell me I was putting him down to increase my own self worth? I doubt it.

Nick

Nick, you just sound like a hippy now

Lets just imagine for a minute that I am a full on tie-dyed flowers in my hair peace maaan, kinda guy, would that be a problem for you?

Nick

Increase my own self worth??? By thinking it's chavvy to have a flag on your car, oh dear, oh dear.

I was refering to the widespread apparent need to look down disdainfully on people whose tastes we do not agree with.

If you overheard me calling a friend a chav because of his flag, would you stroll over and tell me I was putting him down to increase my own self worth? I doubt it.

I've had a very similar conversation, albeit with someone in the pub I recognised but was not acquainted with, about a variety of things (including his horrible comments about an Pakistani couple of have taken over the village shop) and other general prejudices, so yeah, I might.

GrahamS

To add, I think that the way a lot of us act in a
    sneering supercilious way towards those we
    share our society with is a serious underlying
    issue, I don't care for it at all and I do believe it
    has a serious negative undermining impact on
    this country.

Are we not allowed to have personal standards?

And if we have standards can we not observe when people do not meet them?

I'd say that the "Do what I want. Don't give a shit what anyone thinks" approach is just as undermining to the country.

DezB
    Free Member

Lets just imagine for a minute that I am a full on tie-dyed flowers in my hair peace maaan, kinda guy, would that be a problem for you?

Yes it would. Ya bloody hippy.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*hangs head in shame as never realised being chavist was akin to being racist*

Thank you nick for pointing out the error of my ways.

Nick

And if we have standards can we not observe when people do not meet them?

Wtf has 'standards' got to do with waving a flag??

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nick man stop being so intolerant of others views. Just let people be.

grumm
    Free Member

I'm north of the border just now…there seem to be alot of German flags fluttering….

😆 really? Now that is pretty lame but kind of amusing.

Nick

So, getting back to flags on cars, you ok with this now? 😉

GrahamS

Wtf has 'standards' got to do with waving a
    flag??

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Looks to me like the breakup of the union isn't too far away now.

We O.K. with that?

What about after – would there be any point in having a "royal" family? Should we become a Federated Republic or join a larger FR of Europe?

juan
    Free Member

and of course he won't blame the manager…

Hum I wouldn't bet any money on that if I were you… One thing I really really don't get, is how educated people from a rather rich country can think for one second that the results of a national football team is somehow relevant to what the country represents? How can you be "proud of your country" just by how 11 people kick a ball on a grass.

brack
    Free Member

Thanks for my edit Nick…..it does read better that way.

You seem to be throwing your own ideals around a lot….too it would seem

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Those bloody flags….. only 6 months until you can loudly proclaim your chaviness with xmas lights.

??

Nick

@Brack Probably, but I want to be open to having them challenged (even if I'm not iykwim).

Wasn't trying to offend btw, it was a rather clumsy attempt on my part to show that while it is easier and reassuring to think that we're all part of some shared perception, we ain't, we each have our own individual world view.

trailmonkey

One thing I really really don't get, is how educated people from a rather rich country can think for one second that the results of a national football team is somehow relevant to what the country represents? How can you be "proud of your country" just by how 11 people kick a ball on a grass.

Some peole would make the same judgements based upon a few words scribbled on a page or a few dabs of paint on a canvas. Just depends how elitist your view of culture is I suppose.

I know lots of folk on here don't like or understand it but the national football team is a huge part of the national identity for many, many people and that deserves as much respect as would be afforded to anyone else's identity.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Surely one's either a flag-waving sort or one isn't. The result of a single football game (or even the tournament as a whole) should have no effect on the matter. Let the flags stay up if they mean anything to those flying them.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Take 'em down, NOW!’ is closed to new replies.