Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Take a bow Mail readers – all is forgiven…
  • dannybgoode

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/the-mail-has-explained-what-brexit-means-and-its-readers-seem-shocked–Z1772TI4aNW

Hilarious because they say no one told them. You mean you don’t read any other paper or commentary

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Hmm. The link says independent, but it felt like I was on Buzzfeed.

flap_jack
    Free Member

All’s fair in love and war. And make no mistake, this is civil war.

dannybgoode

I100 is a like that bit the reader comments are first class…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

almost as if STW had written it, this place could be the next mash if we tried

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I just came across this comment on the Mail online comments section, where it was talking about Farage telling us we were all ready heading for a recession.

“Nigel Farage has the happiest and most uplifting smile in politics. So glad his dream has finally come to fruition for us all. The sensible among us voted leave knowing the country would take a short term knock, but eventually would be Great Britain again.”

WTF?!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but eventually would be Great Britain again.

TBH it is hard to tell, some places call it United Kingdon, others Great Britain, sometimes it’s England… honestly filling out online forms is hard work I wish it was just one of those…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

globalti
    Free Member

The only positive point I can see in the disaster is that we won’t be paying millions into the fraud and corruption of the EU and the farce of the monthly move from Brussels to Strasbourg.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The only positive point I can see in the disaster is that we won’t be paying millions into the fraud and corruption of the EU and the farce of the monthly move from Brussels to Strasbourg.

Really?

If we remain in the EEA we’ll be paying them MORE money won’t we? No rebate anymore.

alanl
    Free Member

Err, no.
    All off the top of my head, from reading it this week, so figures may be out, but not by a great deal.
    We pay something like £350M a week to the EU.
    We then get a percentage of that back as our rebate due to us saying we’re paying too much a few years back (Thatcher years?).Actually, our fee is £350, but we only pay £280m ish.
    Then we get money back to support EU funded projects and subsidies in the UK, or rather, the EU pays for projects / subsidies in this Country.
    After taking our rebates and projects into account, we actually pay around £150M a week to the EU.

That is used for running the EU (compared to our Parliament, it is very expensively run), and giving grants/subsidies/aid to other Countries, mostly Southern and Eastern Europe.

The other Northern Europe Countries pay pretty much the same proportionally as us.
    If we leave, the EU has a lot less money to spend on support for the weaker Countries.
    I think we can justify this, as we are the biggest foreign aid donor in the EU – around £12bn a year is spent aiding other Countries (obviously totally separate to EU fees, which also help other Countries)

We’re going to be around £250M a week better off immediately, or when we actually do leave. Of course, EU funded projects in the UK will end, so the Government may well want to carry on funding such projects (which I’d be sure they would).
    Even if we carried on the same level of funding for local projects as the EU has done, we’d be £150m a week better off.

The counter argument is that we will be losing trade. That isnt definite, I dont think we will have too much of a problem with trade in the future. Many others will do, but there are no clear facts yet, so it is only speculation.

rossburton
    Free Member

Hmm. The link says independent, but it felt like I was on Buzzfeed.

Yeah it’s a damn shame that the Indy is now a glorified Buzzfeed clone. Back in the day it was a great paper, but nobody actually bought it…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Even if we carried on the same level of funding for local projects as the EU has done, we’d be £150m a week better off.

The counter argument is that we will be losing trade. That isnt definite, I dont think we will have too much of a problem with trade in the future. Many others will do, but there are no clear facts yet, so it is only speculation.
    Speculation but every other nation who is in the EEA arrangement for free trade pays for the privilege. It’s going to come close to that figure, which is a shame as we will need that for the extra interest payments on our bonds now we don’t have a AAA credit rating and to fund any shortfall from a weaker pound.

corroded
    Free Member

Of course, EU funded projects in the UK will end, so the Government may well want to carry on funding such projects (which I’d be sure they would).

Brilliant! 😆
    You’ve not met the right-wing of the Tory party before?

irc

Brilliant!
    You’ve not met the right-wing of the Tory party before?

So if the people don’t like the way the Tory govt allocates cash they can vote them out in 2020. Democracy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So if the people don’t like the way the Tory govt allocates cash they can vote them out in 2020. Democracy.

100%, most people seemed to like how the cash was handed out though, it also implies there will be cash to handout. Reduced growth, high inflation, lower credit rating – that cash is getting spent a lot of times already

BigJohn

That doesn’t look like an Independent link. I’m a subscriber to the online edition and I use its official website too. I haven’t seen that article on either.

I’m quite liking the paid for version.

phiiiiil

so the Government may well want to carry on funding such projects (which I’d be sure they would)

Given the number of councils who have already requested confirmations of this in writing, I don’t think many people share your optimism…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and as has been said elsewhere (when pressed with slightly tricky questions),the Leave lot were not actually in a position to make those sort of promises… Why did you believe them!!

bails

the Government may well want to carry on funding such projects (which I’d be sure they would).

kimbers

The counter argument is that we will be losing trade. That isnt definite, I dont think we will have too much of a problem with trade in the . 4.4 bn a we

So The next 2 years of uncertainty and no external investment arent a worry?

Just 0.5% reduction in our GDP negates out EU payment
    Considering 45% of our trade ,4.4 bn a week is with the EU, I don’t think we’ll have too much trouble doing that, how much has it taken out of our economy so far !

globalti
    Free Member

Nothing will change and we won’t leave. Osborne has just said that Cameron won’t trigger Clause 50 but will leave it to the new PM. Nobody is going to have the balls to do it, so Cameron has out-manouevered Boris and Gove.

theotherjonv

I think another light is just going on and someone else is starting to think ‘Oops!’

whatnobeer
    Free Member

So what next? A general election based around Brexit stance? A vote in parliament that might fail to pass due the obviously dire economic cost?

wwaswas

That is used for running the EU (compared to our Parliament, it is very expensively run)

reference?

EU employs 23000 civil servants. UK has 430,000.

bencooper
    Free Member

EU employs 23000 civil servants. UK has 430,000.

But still, we’ve only got a couple of dozen with the skills and experience to negotiate international trade deals. We’ll need hundreds. Oops.

zippykona

My parents have the Mail and the Sunday before the referendum the editorial urged people to vote Stay as Britain could be greater in Europe.
    It surprised me.

martinhutch

Mail on Sunday went with ‘remain’, Daily Mail went with leave. Two different editorial teams, presumably MoS City editor refused outright to come up with a leave-favouring puff piece.

wwaswas

or the owners wanted to hedge their bets…

bails

Apparently the MoS team don’t like the DM team so will quite often run pieces that deliberately conflict with the message that the DM has been pushing.

Drac

Apparently the MoS team don’t like the DM team so will quite often run pieces that deliberately conflict with the message that the DM has been pushing.

An insider said. 😆

spekkie
    Free Member

Surely no one in real life would use The Sun newspaper as his or her political guide?

DrJ

I just came across this comment on the Mail online comments section, where it was talking about Farage telling us we were all ready heading for a recession.

“Nigel Farage has the happiest and most uplifting smile in politics. So glad his dream has finally come to fruition for us all. The sensible among us voted leave knowing the country would take a short term knock, but eventually would be Great Britain again.”

WTF?!

Looks like jamby has been at work …

oldnpastit

but eventually would be Great Britain England again.”

v8ninety

Surely no one in real life would use The Sun newspaper as his or her political guide?

Brilliant! You managed to type that with a straight face, well done!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“the Government may well want to carry on funding such projects (which I’d be sure they would).”

That is the current plan if you read the government’s own papers on Brexit planning. I haven’t read the House of Lord’s papers yet.

GNSS is typical example. We need PRS for our military and for future road toll infrastructure, and CS for future precision farming and similar. 20%+ of the European GNSS technology was designed and developed by British Engineers. Walking away is not an option.

DezB
    Free Member

Sun readers should stick to voting for the best dancer, performing dog or which celeb they want to move out of the experiment house. Their newspaper doesn’t inform them about anything else.

beanum

The Top article on Indy100 fleshes out the thinking in the posts above…

While panic ensues, one person’s musings in the comments section of the Guardian has an interesting hypothesis on these complications:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten … the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over – Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession … broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was “never”. When Michael Gove went on and on about “informal negotiations” … why? why not the formal ones straight away? … he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

The comment, which was picked up on Twitter, has been shared thousands of times.

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting that. Reinforces what I was thinking when Cameron resigned – was he resigning, as the media said, because he lost? or more likely because of what leaving the EU would involve as prime minister.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Take a bow Mail readers – all is forgiven…’ is closed to new replies.