Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Tailgate or Barn Doors ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

Having posted on the Vivaro / Trafic thread earlier and not wanting to hijack, I’ve seen a Trafic on Autotrader that ticks all the boxes of budget, age, air con etc but it has a tailgate rather than the more usual barn doors.

I only use vans for bikes, dogs and shopping duties so I won’t need to fork lift a pallet of something into the back which would be impossible with a tailgate but I’m wondering if anyone has had both and has any preference or any advantages of one over the other ?

Doesn’t have to just be a Trafic any opinions on any van will be fine.

Only things I’ve thought advantages are sheltering from the rain or sun, and the doors won’t overhang the road when parked up ( I’m guessing that’s why AA and RAC vans have tailgates ) disadvantage actual opening space required ? ( behind van )

Also I’m not reet tall so may have to jump up to pull it down……. 😳

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My van has barns, I’d prefer a tailgate for a wee bit of cover whilst getting manky kit off post ride, but it’s not a biggie tbh.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my next van will have a tailgate. barn doors are ok, but i’d like more useable space when it’s pissing down… that said, i dunno how accessible they are in close parking situations

lesgrandepotato

Much easier to put a bike rack on the back

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Prefer to be inside if it’s manky weather. Down side for me is car park access with a tail gate

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bikes outside the van? Madness.

br
    Free Member

Only things I’ve thought advantages are sheltering from the rain or sun[/I]

This.

legend
    Free Member

Barns are to make sure you can use a fork lift, assuming you don’t want to do that then tail gate all the way!

sharkbait
    Free Member

as above, tailgate = canopy = good for leisure use.

IA

+1 on the tailgate. Have one on my berlingo.

Means you can sit in the back and get some shade/shelter whilst you change your shoes etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The downside in the shelter etc is every time you open the back its fully open to the wind and rain. Wouldn’t say it’s as clear cut as one beats the other. Depends really what the rest of the van will be like

luket

We’ve had one with barn doors and now have one with a tailgate. Parking situations where the tailgate is a problem are few and far between. If you reverse up to wall just pulll forward to get your stuff out. Reverse up to another car and I would think you can get closer than with barns.

My own preference is for tailgate, but it’s marginal. Same reasons as others above.

simmy
    Free Member

Well this particular one has twin side doors so if worst does happen in a car park at least I can get in either side.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Definitely tailgate over barn doors purely for the rain shelter whilst getting dekitted, its the best feature about my Doblo 😆

ART

Tailgate! Shelter, loading etc..

PePPeR

The ones I was discussing all have tailgate. We prefer them for working under.

takisawa2

Not a van but one of the things I love about my Galaxy is the shelter offered by the tailgate. Great for standing under whilst cooking also.

garage-dweller

Folks have a caravelle.
    Tailgate on that is no bother.
    I’m not sure barn doors would be a lot better for tight parking unless you’re just trying to squeeze a bag of sarnies in. If you want something big out you must need about the same space.

wiggles
    Free Member

I have a berlingo and love the tailgate for shelter, even when shopping just pop it open go under with the trolley and put shopping away in the dry.

Just park forwards at the supermarket and you don’t have to worry.

kayak23

Tailgate all the way. So practical.

maccruiskeen

I’m not sure barn doors would be a lot better for tight parking unless you’re just trying to squeeze a bag of sarnies in.

Two advantages of barn doors are exactly that – you can just put something smaller in (or get yourself in and out) if theres not much room behind you

Another is if the back of the van is tightly packed with stuff its easier to close barn doors and also easier to catch anything loose when you open up again (says man who smashed most of his christmas booze opening the tailgate this year)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you can also open the barn doors without showing the world what’s in the van, some of those supermarket stops on the way somewhere in the less than desirable areas etc.
    For those sheltering on crap days why not just get inside the van?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mike – I prefer to get my proper wet kit off before I get in the van to get dried and fresh clothes on. Then I can get all that kit in a big duffel bag, and the vans reasonably dry inside, so less condensation the next morning.

But I have barn doors, so it’s irrelevant really!.

revs1972
    Free Member

My leisure van has barn doors and work van has tailgate.
    If I’m carrying pallets I wish the tailgate were barndoors, but using fork extensions , or a bit of gentle pushing with the tips gets most things in. (It’s a Kombi)
    Tailgate definitely an advantage to work under when it’s peeing down

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh and for nice days we just used to pull this out of the back 😉

Perfect addition, though if I ever get back to owning a van it will have an awning on the side

redstripe
    Free Member

I used to carry stuff like kayaks on the roof of my van so barn doors were better for sliding them on and off via the back, but if you aren’t carrying stuff on roof then yes tailgate good for weather protection

kayak23

Not my picture but I do this with the tailgate on my Berlingo too with a Vango pop up tent.

The tailgate sits just over the tent. Good for camping or changing etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Another vote for tail gate.

Had a van with barns it was ok.

Moved to a tailgate and twin sliding side doors- best things ever.

No more having to use the back doors to put shit in just slide open the side door behind driver and no one needs to see what’s in the back.

Advantages of being able to get out of wet clothes under shelter without getting the inside minging is brilliant. I agree my next van will have a pull out awning but the tailgates still great for post winter night ride changing

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve read that its possible to change barn doors for a tailgate on the TVPs, but googling just finds links for some who’ve claimed to have done it with little detail on the actual process.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a crew cab van with barn doors, it does me OK.

But if buying a normal van now I’d want a tailgate and side doors. Especially if I was gonna be sleeping in it too.

Wouldn’t be a deal breaker though and I have a tarp to hang over the barn doors if i ever need to (I haven’t yet).

samunkim
    Free Member

Often find barn doors give a bit of privacy, to get changed or even have a piss in a bucket.

scotroutes

Barn doors. You can open one side for getting in/out without opening the whole entrance. Handy when sleeping in it to if you want a view of the stars/sea. I don’t get the argument about the tailgate offering shelter when getting changed etc, just get in the van! 🙂

wiggles
    Free Member

I don’t get the argument about the tailgate offering shelter when getting changed etc, just get in the van!

I can’t stand up inside

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And as I said earlier, I dont want the interior manky and wet.

mick_r

In 21 years of bike vans/combis (some barn, some tailgate) I much prefer the tailgate for all the reasons mentioned.

The only downside has maybe been where we’ve parked forward at a crowded race or trail centre. Then slightly nervous of someone with a motor home or bike on roof driving into huge protruding tailgate.

simmy
    Free Member

The only downside has maybe been where we’ve parked forward at a crowded race or trail centre. Then slightly nervous of someone with a motor home or bike on roof driving into huge protruding tailgate.

That’s another thing I’ve thought of

hammerite
    Free Member

I’VW worried about that in the past too!

spooky_b329

I would choose tailgate, the only other downside not mentioned is when you are standing on the kerb/unlevel ground and the tailgate is forehead height!

simmy
    Free Member

Spooky, that won’t happen to me.

I’m tiny 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

As mentioned above its nice to get out of yer dirty wet clothes under the tailgate before jumping inside and get changed into your nice clean kit.

My next vans gonna have barn doors though it’s just dawned on me …..Can’t get tailgates in hi tops 🙁 (for good reason I know )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Tailgate or Barn Doors ?’ is closed to new replies.