Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tailgate mounted rack
  • razorrazoo

What do people recommend for a tailgate mounted rack. I usually transport my bike in the boot, but as the kids get older I need to be able to transport bikes and kids.

Car is a lease so don’t want to go down the towbar route, and I don’t want roof bars permanently attached. I’m interested in something which is secure/well built, and that will not damage the car / put parts of the bike too near the car.

lardman
    Free Member

seasucker? Easy on and off, leaves no trace.

breadcrumb

I’ve used a Pendle Strap on rack in the past. Fairly solid.

No longer of use to me if you’re anywhere near NW Cumbria?

razorrazoo

Thanks but couldn’t be much further away (that place that stw for united love to hate)

cookeaa

If it’s a lease I wouldn’t want to go strapping a rack to the boot lid too frequently, it will eventually damage the paint either by rubbing or the hooks/bobbins damaging the edges…

Seasucker or if towbars are a definite no-no I’d reconsider the roof especially if it’s already got rails…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Car is a lease so don’t want to go down the towbar route, and I don’t want roof bars permanently attached.

I have Thule aero bars and 598. Fitting/removing takes about ten minutes at most.

grtdkad

SARIS BONES used here … not too bad at all. Easy to fit, secure. Happy.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I had the Thule rigid armed one (9104 like this one) and while the initial set up was a big faff it was ridiculously easy to use after that, incredibly rigid and sturdy and no straps needed on the car. I solved the scratching issue by putting small bits of helicopter tape on where the mounting points went when I first set it up. It had the added advantage of showing you exactly where to place the rack to get it central too. No scratches on car when eventually sold.

My next works lease car probably won’t have a towbar like my current one and I’d not hesitate in getting another rack like it again.

razorrazoo

Hmmm, the more I think about it perhaps roof mounted is the way to go. I have bars with a T-Track.

stevextc
    Free Member

SARIS BONES used here … not too bad at all. Easy to fit, secure. Happy.

Out of 4 bikes only 1 will go on the Bones.without mods… and it’s the hardtail I use least… 😳

Kids bikes are both to short and the FS I doubt will fit anyway, the HY might just and my T-130 won’t go on….without some mod …

grtdkad

That’s an interesting one Steve, similarly four HTs here but they’ve all been on the Saris Bones okay.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tailgate mounted rack’ is closed to new replies.