Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tag along for a three year old
  • tweedviper
    Free Member

Looking to get a tag along for my three year old, we hired one at the weekend and he loved it but was much too large and a bit cheap and nasty. not really fussed about price just really keen to get him out on it which also means I can justify another bike to suit (probably a hardtail 29er ?) as I would not tow it with my beastie!
    Any positive experienced advice gratefully received.
    Thank you

honourablegeorge

Was rather impressed with a Thule one I saw, doubles as a pram.

sparksmcguff

Sorry can’t help you with a positive recommendation can only suggest that you DON’T get the Trek that I have.

tweedviper
    Free Member

Oh dear what is wrong with the Trek version?

sweaman2
    Free Member

When sweajnr is a bit older I’ve got my eye on one of these….Followme tandem

As the tag alongs I’ve seen always seem to have a tilt to them…

tweedviper
    Free Member

That looks Brilliant, but my little weasel is too young at the moment.

sparksmcguff

@ tweedviper: The Trek I have (and there may be other variants) has the most aggravating hitch imaginable. There is a collar that clamps tight to the seat post with a variety of shims to fit different post diameters – yeah. This collar has to be tightened nice and tight else it slips up and down – boo. The actual point at which the hitch and tag along arm join allows only for vertical movement. This means that the tag along attempts to follow you in a very cumbersome way. Naturally the hitch then rotates around the post. This happens with plenty of friction causing the oddest pull as you attempt to negotiate a corner (with the wee one shouting “faster faster”). Loosening the clamp on the seat post to the point where the assembly could rotate is not an option as that causes it’s own issues.

EDIT
    ….on the other hand, the Trek stays upright and the kids love it.
    And both my wee ones were on it from three.

lamo
    Free Member

I have a Roland Add+ which works really well. It comes with a special rack that fits to the adults bike and the tag along has a pin that slips into a slot on the back of the rack and is secured in place with a spring pin. Really stable and easy to use on the back of my karate monkey. You can use the rack for luggage or a child seat too whilst towing the tag along which is quite unique.

chowsh
    Free Member

I have one of the trek ones and really like it. The collar swivels round the seatpost and the hitch allows vertical movement but you don’t get that horrible lean you do on some of them. You do get pulled around a bit as they hang off one side or the other. Got the one without gears as the little buggers don’t contribute much effort anyway. There is a good solid hinge in the middle as well. Little one out of seat now and will be out on it in the spring.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

+1 for FollowMe. Our lad was using it at 3 and a half. Not cheap, but leagues ahead of the competition.

garage-dweller

Follow Me
    Following awesome!
    I reckon our youngest might now be persuaded onto it (3 this month). Bracket on the bike ready. Big brother loved it.

antigee

had an Adams which falls in the cheap end and has a similar bracket to the Trek but had no real problems with it though bracket heavy weight and filled with mud when not in use – solved by having a spare saddle/seatpost with it on – mate had the one that fits with a rack as described above and def’ a much more stable arrangement

don’t forget a mirror to watch the antics going on behind

oldest once fell asleep and slowly slipped sideways – must have been the pub lunch

tweedviper
    Free Member

Thank you everyone for great comments, having looked closer at the “Followme” I think I am hooked, does anyone have one for sale before I buy a new one ?

Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tag along for a three year old’ is closed to new replies.