Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tablet Recommendations anyone?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I have been tasked with finding a tablet for a technophobic 80 year old. She has a budget of £200.

I guess it will be used for internet browsing and emails with the occasional photo thrown in.

The price range pretty much precludes iPads and puts us in the Hudl and Nexus arena. Does anyone have any real life experience of either (good or bad) and thoughts as to the suitability for this age group (her eyesight is ok, not brilliant so that may be a factor).

spawnofyorkshire

my dad has dexterity issues now and he uses a 10″ ipad. That seems to be a good size to be able to hit icons. A second hand one may be in your price range
    He also has a bluetooth keyboard for when he’s typing a fair bit and a case with a chunky grip on the back so he can hold it up or prop it on his lap.
    Think that stuff is as important as the specific tablet

nemesis
    Free Member

I have a Hudl2 – it works boringly well – I can’t really think of much more to say – it does the job, doesn’t lag and looks good.

slowjo
    Free Member

Think that stuff is as important as the specific tablet

Good point.

cp

Hudl2 is amazingly good. refub here for £79, plus any clubcard discounts you may have.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl2-black-refurbished/570-3039.prd

GrahamA
    Free Member

Nexus 9 user, £299 but was £199 when I bought it.

Nice screen size but its quite heavy 650g including case. Don’t get a origami case – its rubbish.

Nexus 7 was much lighter.

I think that the browser tabs and controls could be a bit small form a user with reduced dexterity.

cp

I should also add… we have a hudl 2 as the ‘house’ tablet for anyone to use.

I also have a nexus 7 (2nd gen) running lollipop, which works really well. I use this as my take anywhere alternative to my rather crap work-supplied windows phone.

The 7 is great as a one-handed hold device which is great for reading mags and books.

The hudl is noticeably bigger and could well be better for an 80 year old’s eyes. Screen is pin sharp on them both.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Asus MemoPad?

Gunz
    Free Member

For what you need it for the Hudl 2 would seem ideal. Ours has never had any problems, the screen is big and very sharp and the speakers are surprisingly good. The camera isn’t much to write home about though. We’ve got three in the house now and haven’t paid more than £20 with Clubcard points.

StirlingCrispin

How about a Chromebook?

Has a proper keyboard for emails and no massive system updates to bork it (my dad is currently unable to use his ipad because of this).

You can also default zoom the browser.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tablet Recommendations anyone?’ is closed to new replies.