Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • T5 Caravelle 150,000 miles – should I be cautious?
  • House
    Free Member

As the title says really – lookin to get a Caravelle – been offered one with the spec we want and looks in good condition but it's clearly done a lot of miles in not many years. Any experience / advice?

Thanks!

Sam

I bought an LT35 with the same sort of mileage 6 months ago and no worries as yet after around another 10k. However the LT is gear driven, I believe the main thing you need to look out for on T5's is cam belt wear. The other good thing is if it has a lot of miles in little time they are likely to be motorway, which is less likely to have done as much damage as having driven around town.

meehaja
    Free Member

My 1982 transporter has done more than that and runs nicely. as above, most likely to be motorway miles, check service history, check belts, all the obvious wear points associated with high miles (clutch/gearbox/tyres/interior) If its a good price and you like it then all good, but remember, there's lots around and this time of year is when they are at premium money…

steveh

Which engine/power output does it have? The 1.9 versions have cambelts but the 2.5's are the same basic lump as mentioned in the lt35 above and are gear driven. The 1.9 is the same basic lump as used in pretty much every VAG vehicle so is well known. The 2.5 is a 5 cylinder used in vans only but has a very good reliability reputation from the t4.

The t5 i'm currently driving is 2.5 years old with 163k on the clock. It's a 1.9 102 bhp and still feels really nice to drive.

Give me some more info and I'll put up some specific advice based on engine and spec.

NZCol

Cambelt waterpump dmf and driveshafts are common offenders on caravelles. Depends on history and work done being reflected in price.

House
    Free Member

Thanks guys…

Steveh – there are actually a couple I'm looking at – all 2.5 automatics – at one end of the spectrum is a 70,000 mile version but there are also a few at 140,000 / 150,000. Clearly if I go for the 150,000 it leaves more of the budget for bikes… But only if I don't end up having to spend on getting it fixed in the next year or so – and at some point I will want to sell it…

Any idea what sort of milage I should get from an '06 / '07 2.5 engine – and for that matter any issues on 130 / 170 bhp?

steveh

The 2.5 engines are relatively solid. Issues are known with the injector seals (leads to oil in the fuel pump and requires tank and injector ring main fuel pumps and some other small bits to fix), driveshafts on 174bhp versions (only 1 side, dealer only part about 400 to fix from memory when my mates went) , flywheels as with all modern diesels. The cambelt/water pump are not issues with this engine.

Auto gearboces can be a problem and the last guy I knew who's went cost him £2300 to have repaired. They also use a lot more fuel than the manuals.

I had a 2.5 130bhp version which had done 130k when I sold it and apart from the injector problem it was solid for the year and 20k I owned it.

Any other concerns/requirements?

House
    Free Member

Thanks Steveh – from what I hear the autos are fuel heavy round town, but on motorways there isn't much in it?

steveh

It'll certainly be less different on a motorway but it's the cost of rebuild that'd worry me on them not the fuel efficiency. The one I knew that went had about 100k ish on it so not that many and £2k plus is a big bill!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘T5 Caravelle 150,000 miles – should I be cautious?’ is closed to new replies.