Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • T Mobile price increase. Should not be able to get away with it
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I took out a 24 month T Mobile contract late last year. The agent in the shop told me £26 / month all in.

A letter drops on my door mat yesterday telling my contract was going up by £1.50 / month as a result of inflation. The agent never mentioned anything about the possibility of the contract increasing in price.

If the banks sold fixed price mortgages, but then wrote to customers telling them their rate was going up because of inflation they would be mauled for it.

Not happy about this

scotroutes

And what does it say in the contract that you signed?

stumpy01

Yeah. Mine has gone up £0.56 or something.

Been meaning to push them for an upgrade phone for a while now, so a good reason to call them. And it puts my contract nearer to a deal on 3 that I will be using for leverage…

chojin
    Free Member

All the major networks have done this recently.
    I’m with Vodafone and they increased my tariff cost – as outraged as I was, there’ll be something in your contract saying they’re allowed to do it.

Sickening really.

legend
    Free Member

Orange (who are of course basically the same as T-modile) have just done the same. Signed up in January, price rise in March – ****.

EDIT: apparently this boils my piss enough to make me rant at them on Facebook…. bbuuurrrrnnnnn 8)

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Don’t have a contract.

nealglover
    Free Member

……Sickening really.

Congratulations !!

You win “overreaction of the day”

flanagaj
    Free Member

I think regardless of what is in the small print of the contract, they should explain this much more clearly and get you to sign a specific declaration relating to it. Then it has been clearly spelled out to you and you know up front. If I had been told and then asked to sign a document regarding agreeing for my contract to go up, I would have not taken out the contract.

garage-dweller

Did you sign a fixed price contract? Did you read it before you signed?

I would be willing to wager the salesman didnt say its fixed for the contract term OR that.it was subject to.inflationary changes. In some respects they probably ought to be but in 15+ years of mobile phone use I have never known a fixed for the contract period cost.

cazum
    Free Member

just make sure you dont do a deal with anyone apart from the retention’s team.

i called last june at upgrade time

hi i want a galaxy s3
    -sorry you would need to pay £150 on your existing contract. (30 a month)
    what if i increased my contract
    – best we could do is £100 for the phone on a 40 a month contract…
    i can get it free elsewhere on a similar priced contract
    -sorry nothing we can do
    ok cancel my contract please
    -let me just pass you to our cancellation team
    ok
    – hi you wish to leave
    yes
    -why
    you couldn’t offer me the phone i wanted free
    -let me have a look….. how does unlimited mins, unlimited data and unlimited calls, free Gs3 and for £34 a month….
    why didn’t i get offered that by the last person
    -we at the retention’s team have more power to make deals….
    sold thanks 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You were. For £4 extra a month.

chojin
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    ……Sickening really.
    Congratulations !!
    You win “overreaction of the day”

Excellent, what do I win?

I do hope it’s a sense of humour.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Read the contract, I should have. Instead I took the word of the agent who just told me bish bosh £26 / month for 24 months and no mention what so ever of inflationary price increases. Job done, just sign here.

Can these robbing b!stards put their contract prices up monthly or once a year?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Read the small print. Whenever they choose to, or think they can get away with it.

retro83
    Free Member

Mine’s gone up twice in the course of the contract, first time was only a month or two into the contract. Makes no real difference to the price, but it does mean T-mobile/ee/orange or any related company will never see another quid from me as soon as the contract is over!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Vote with your wallet, go to giff gaff in 18 months time. I’ll be off contract in a few months.

Btw, £34 a month is £808 over 2 years.

tymbian
    Free Member

If you’re told 24 months at £26 that’s what it should be, Nothing more nothing less!

I detest the way that the bigger fish have got you by the short n curlies.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it is written on” – Henry Ford.

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s not really the job of the sales assistant to read out every contact term to you.

You are responsible for ensuring that you understand and are satisfied with the terms of the contract. If there was something you were unsure of you could have asked for clarification. They obviously can’t mislead you, but not mentioning every right they have under a contract which you are supposed to have read isn’t misleading you.

Not trying to be an arse, just always astounded when people sign up to £1000+ liabilities without reading the terms and conditions and then getting upset when the company does something they are entitled to (and lets face it, raising prices every now and then isn’t exactly unheard of in business!).

I feel your pain though, o2 also put up my already expensive contract, so I ditched it and am now paying £15 a month on giffgaff (which is o2 anyway) with no commitment.

No they don’t. You choose to do business with them. You choose to do business on their terms.

legend
    Free Member

No they don’t. You choose to do business with them. You choose to do business on their terms.

ah but when all the “big fish” all use the same terms, they’ve got you by the short n curlies. (Giffgaff didn’t work for me this time round, was going to end up more expensive over a 2 year period)

I don’t actually mind the price rises per se, this time they just really **** me off as I’ve barely been with them any time before the rise.

jon1973
    Free Member

They only have us by the short and curlies because of out insatiable lust for new phones every couple of years.

My contract is nearly up and I’m thinking of going on a sim only, monthly contract. Virgin were doing some deal for £12/month for pretty much unlimited minutes and texts plus 1gb of data. I’ll probably relent when they offer me a shiny new phone though.

stumpy01

I don’t think T-Mobile really want me as a customer too much. Well, more like they are happy for me to stay on the contract I am on with the phone I am on, but don’t really wanna give me a new phone.

I pay £16/month for 300mins, 300 texts, unlimited data & a ‘flex booster’. The phone (htc desire) cost me £120 3 yrs ago on the weekend it came out.
    Nowhere does unlimited internet with a decent phone for that or less. Fair enough that T-Mobile don’t wanna give me a fancy phone when I don’t pay much (comparatively) for the service.

3 are currently doing the Xperia T for £23 with 500 mins, 5000 texts & unlimited data. So I’d get more minutes & texts and the phone would only cost me about £150 spread over 2 yrs…
    Will see if T-Mobile can better that.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Be put through to terminations and say you find the contract materially inverse, if you have less than 6 months left on your contact you can use this contract increase to get a free upgrade on your phone:)

Woody
    Free Member

we at the retention’s team have more power to make deals

This is something that pisses me right off nowadays. Phones, insurance, gas/electric etc etc and you have to threaten to leave before you get offered a better deal, or as most seem to do, just go on one of the comparison sites and go for the best deal.

What really annoys me is that things like this hit the elderly, who still have brand loyalty, or simply don’t have the facilities or wherewithal to do these comparisons and end up being shafted 👿

FWIW giffgaff are also going to get my business the minute my EE contract runs out, as my prices have already gone up.

In response to someone ^^ I, like most others accept a fixed contract as exactly that ie. fixed for the period of the agreement and do not have the time, inclination or are anally retentative enough to wade through pages of small print!

nealglover
    Free Member

I, like most others accept a fixed contract as exactly that ie. fixed for the period of the agreement

Nobody ever told you it was a fixed contract though did they ?

and do not have the time, inclination or are anally retentative enough to wade through pages of small print!

If you don’t bother to read a contract, and are happy just to sign it because basically you can’t be arsed.

Then you are not in a position to moan when the contract isn’t quite what you guessed it would be.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Yep, got the obligatory letter from Orange regarding their price increase.

My 24 month contract is up in June so I reckon I’ll be going sim free with GiffGaff or Virgin/Tesco. I don’t like being tied into a 24 month contract and almost had an issue with Orange near the start of mine. The phone developed a fault and stopped charging and they wanted to charge me £120 for a replacement. I kicked off as it was only 5 months old and managed to get a free replacement but it did make me feel like Orange are a bunch of shysters.

hora
    Free Member

Inflation has gone up how much to affect every trapped customer in a provider?!

peterfile
    Free Member

I, like most others accept a fixed contract as exactly that ie. fixed for the period of the agreement and do not have the time, inclination or are anally retentative enough to wade through pages of small print!

you’re a mobile provider’s dream customer 🙂

You are not offered a “fixed contract”. You are offered provision of services at £x per month with a minimum contract period of x months. There’s a big difference.

As for not having the time or inclination to read a document which makes you financially liable to the tune of hundreds or even over a thousand Pounds…seriously? If you are so busy that you can’t spend 5 minutes reading a document you are about to sign then I’d suggest you’re also too busy to post on STW 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Then you are not in a position to moan when the contract isn’t quite what you guessed it would be.

I find sitting in an armchair with my laptop quite a comfortable position to moan from actually.

You obviously have the time and inclination to read everything Mr Glover which I’m guessing (tsk, that word again), frees you up to moan from your elevated perch about pretty much everything else 😉

peterfile – touché but in my defence, the lack of fully reading the phone contract has probably ‘cost’ me about an additional £25, which I am prepared to live with as it’s meant I can waste hundreds of hours on STW. Cheap entertainment really 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

If the banks sold fixed price mortgages, but then wrote to customers telling them their rate was going up because of inflation they would be mauled for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21615831

nealglover
    Free Member

You obviously have the time and inclination to read everything Mr Glover

Well I did read my Mobile Contract yes.

And it took about 5 minutes. It was ONE page !

I read it while the guy was in the back getting the phone sorted out.

How busy does someone need to be that they don’t have time to do that.

Anyway, I’m not saying that people should read the contracts they sign, that’s entirely up to them.

I’m just saying don’t moan about it when your “time saving” plan backfires. It’s your own fault 🙂

stumpy01

Well, I rang T-Mobile.

To stay on my current tariff, they wanted £280 for a Sony Xperia T. Ahem.

Or, I could pay £26 for 300mins, 500txts & 1GB of data, then pay ONLY £59 for the phone…
    I pointed out that the Three deal I had just mentioned had 200 more mins, 4500 more text, unlimited data & the phone was free, but blokey wouldn’t budge.

At this point I’d been on the phone for about as long as I could bear, so said I’d think about it and call back. Gonna check the 3 Mobile deal is still on & then call T-Mobile back tomorrow and say I want to leave. See what they come up with, then….

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘T Mobile price increase. Should not be able to get away with it’ is closed to new replies.