Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • T mobile android tethering
  • shanta
    Free Member

Can you tether an android phone on T mobile to a tablet so that my data allowance can be used on it. Ive asked a few people who say no, but guy at T mobile call center reckons yes, although he didnt sound convincing.

kja78
    Free Member

I do it quite regularly with mine and have never had any issues. I’m on a T mobile unlimited data plan.

shanta
    Free Member

Any suggestion on tablets. It for the Mrs and she only wants a cheap one. Been looking at The HUDL in Tesco!

kja78
    Free Member

Wife has a Kindle Fire HD, which we both think is superb, but neither of us have used any other tablet so wouldn’t know if there’s anything better out there.

I tend to set my phone up as a wifi hot spot rather than use the bluetooth tethering, seems to be a little less faff.

shanta
    Free Member

Yes, sorry by tether i meant as a hot spot.

Del

i think if you’re on an unlimited data plan you can.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

But not on the full monty unlimited plan – no tethering.

shanta
    Free Member

So, if you are on unlimitied data yes, but unlimited everything no? She is on an unlimited everything SIM only 12 month…

olddog

Isn’t it a phone function whether it can create a wifi hotspot? I have done this on both a limited and unlimted data contracts on t mobile. I have a feeling the T&C of t-mobile prohibit on all contracts. But for the bit of light browsing, email etc I’ve done on holiday, how would they know? Can they even tell the phone is being used to create a hotspot?

If you are streaming high volumes, video particularly, they may ask questions?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

t-mobile allow tethering like that on all unlimited plans except the full monty one – check out their terms and conditions page.

olddog

But is there anyway they can tell, other than perhaps excessive data usage, that you have created a wifi hotspot from your phone?

spooky_b329

Only way is to read the T&C’s…mine does allow it with a 3gb fair use data limit, but its a five year old contract. My wife also has an older contract that allows it, and hers is truly unlimited from the days of WAP phones 🙂

And yes, they can prevent tethering even if the phone has the capability.

househusband

I was in T-Mobile a couple of months ago looking at this plan (one that isn’t unlimited) on the Moto G and I was told that I would be allowed to tether – they said that T-Mobile had relaxed its limitations on tethering.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

T-Mobile Pay Monthly Plans from 30 October 2013

To join, you’ll need to pass our standard credit checks and promise to stay with us for 24 months. All services are within the UK only. Your monthly payment is for your internet on your phone, your WiFi allowance (for plans with 500 minutes or more) and your inclusive minutes and texts.

Your inclusive minutes and texts are to other customers of UK mobile networks, to check your voicemail and to call landlines starting with 01, 02 and 03 (excluding the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man).

Any plan with an unlimited data allowance gives you unlimited use of internet on your phone when you’re in the UK. This means you can use as many MB/GB as you like and no fair use policy will apply. Please note, internet on your phone includes using your phone as a modem (tethering) but network traffic controls apply. You can also use your phone for voice over IP calling. Your peer to peer file sharing experience will also be slower during peak hours. Remember, you can only use your SIM card in a mobile phone and you’ll need internet coverage, check it at ee.co.uk/coverage. To be clear, this means if you try to use your SIM in a mobile broadband enabled device you won’t be able to get online.

For customers with a capped data allowance, if you exceed your monthly data allowance during any billing month you will be charged £1 per day for data usage. You will not receive any alerts that your data allowance is approaching expiry, or that it has expired, so remember to monitor your data usage by texting AL to 150. The £1 per day data charging has a fair use policy of 2.5GB per month. So if you use more than 2.5GB of additional data (so that is additional data beyond your plan allocation) in any billing month, then your internet speed will be slowed down. Please see ee.co.uk/terms for more information on network traffic controls.

If your plan includes 500 minutes or more, included in your plan is access to our preferred WiFi partner’s network; presently this is the BT Wi-fi network. The BT Wi-fi terms, including those about acceptable use, will also apply to you. You can see these at http://www.btwifi.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/index.jsp. As we aren’t the provider of the WiFi service, we aren’t responsible for whether there is WiFi available where you want it, or for the quality of that service. We might swap your WiFi service to another preferred partner in future, provided that you get a similar experience. There is a 3GB a month fair use policy. If you go over the 3GB, we may monitor your usage and suspend your usage or withdraw the offer from your account.

These plans are for normal person to person use from your phone and are subject to your acceptance of our standard terms and conditions for pay monthly services. We monitor use in accordance with those terms. The terms state that you can’t use these plans to sell access to our network to anyone else. They are also not to be used for anything unlawful or to send nuisance communications. At the moment, we’ll decide that you’re breaking these terms if you text or call more than 200 different numbers in a month. Remember, we’re free to decide that other types of use may also be breaking this term. If you do break this term, we’ll contact you and ask you to stop and if you don’t then we may disconnect your SIM card from our network.

Calls to numbers starting with 070, 08 (including 0870), 09 and 118 are not included in your inclusive allowance. Calls to 070 numbers cost up to 75p/min. 08 numbers cost up to 40p/min and 09 numbers cost up to £3/min. See http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/help&support/priceplans for further information.

from here

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/terms-and-conditions/pay-monthly/

househusband

Any plan with an unlimited data allowance gives you unlimited use of internet on your phone when you’re in the UK. This means you can use as many MB/GB as you like and no fair use policy will apply. Please note, internet on your phone includes using your phone as a modem (tethering) but network traffic controls apply.

To me that clarifies what unlimited data gives you – but does not imply that tethering is exclusive to unlimited data! It suggests that you can indeed tether with any data tariff.

tomfun

When my wife bought her iPhone on the EE full Monty plan I asked if we could tether to her iPad using the free data and was told no. When I bought mine from a different EE shop a few days later the guy said officially no but do it anyway, at worst they will send you a polite letter to stop doing it first. Tethered to the iPad loads of times to watch I played etc and no heard a peep from EE.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘T mobile android tethering’ is closed to new replies.