Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • T-129 first impressions
  • failedengineer

Had my first proper ride on my new Whyte T-129 Works in the Lakes on Saturday. Previously, I’d just had a few laps of Newcastleton and a local play about.
    My last bike was a 5 and I have to say that the Whyte, in spite of having less travel, seems to descend and climb noticeably better than the Orange. The big wheels really do appear to roll over things better. It’s a perfect fit for me (5′ 10″, medium size)and feels really solid and stiff. The transmission is virtually silent, I guess that’s helped by the clutch mech. It’s the first time I’ve had any other discs than Hope and the XTs have fantastic power. However, the levers are a bit short and the I-spec attachment of the shifters means that the shifter levers get in the way if you try to use 2 fingers on the brakes. I might get some stand alone shifter clamps to remedy this. My only slight negative comment is that it seemed to be a little ungainly in really tight slow situations where you might need to heave the front about, but I’m sure I’ll soon get used to that. I’ve decided to replace the dropper post with a normal one – the extra weight, vulnerability and complexity don’t seem worth it – I just can’t see me using it on anything like a regular basis. There’s enough ‘new’ technology to cope with – 2×10, tubeless, 29″ wheels, Shimano brakes, switchable suspension etc etc. I might take a hacksaw to the bars, too.
    So, that’s it. Good bike, I like it. A lot.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

XT brakes are ace.

khani
    Free Member

Before you cut your bars down try a shorter stem to lively up the front…

failedengineer

The stem’s very short already. 60mm? The bars are 750mm wide, I think they could lose 25mm off each end.

mangatank
    Free Member

the I-spec attachment of the shifters means that the shifter levers get in the way if you try to use 2 fingers on the brakes

Interesting. I definitely don’t have that problem. Could be a set-up issue. The gear pods can be adjusted on a rail

toons
    Free Member

Don’t cut the bars!

Get a 50mm stem

IA

2 fingers on XT brakes? Mad, just use one.

failedengineer

I’ve adjusted them already. I find one finger doesn’t give a feeling of control. As for a 50mm stem, would 10mm make such a difference?

z1ppy

I’d suggest you spend a little time learning (getting used to) to use one finger on the XT. I did have the same concerns when I first got them, but persisted and after a while found I forgot about it. The new XT are so powerful, you only need one finger on them (the first brake I’ve felt confident doing this with).

Leku
    Free Member

I’ve gone from standard clamp to i-spec for XT shifters (M780). Drop me a line if you want the bits to swop them over.

chowmein
    Free Member

damn you failedengineer ! my t-129 works is now 3 weeks late. Apparently Whyte have not made enough, which is crazy given the reviews and how fast the 2013 models sold out. Demo’d a m-109 to check that I had ordered the right size (large) at the weekend and it was amazing. Blisteringly fast and managed the tight switchbacks on cannock chase monkey better than my 26 heckler, which was a big surprise.

similar thoughts on the dropper, don’t need to change the seat hight for the riding I do over cannock. Might come in handy for the black rock gardens.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I use my dropper all the time – especially round Cannock. It really does enable to you ride faster on the bermy, downhils. Stick with it for a bit – it took me a bit of getting used to, but without it you really cannot lean the bike over much and get your body low in the bike. They’re not really necessary on rock gardens as you can get yourself behind the saddle without having to drop it, though they do help.

z1ppy

Chowmein, who did you the M-109 demo? Thats annoying news about the t-129’s..

mangatank
    Free Member

I’ve no gear lever issues on the i-spec system. No way is it one finger specific. I can use one or two fingers as required without interference from the shifter paddles. I adjusted the brake lever reach and slid the gear pods inboard.

chowmein
    Free Member

@z1ppy – M-109s from Wolves Leisure Lakes. Thats the one with carbon wheels…

z1ppy

Hmmm I will have to pop up and see them. Cheers

failedengineer

I got mine from Wheelbase in Staveley. It was the third they had sold.

They set it up tubeless for me, which involved replacing the standard tyres. They gave me a choice of Bontrager XR3 or High Rollers. I ch0se the Bontys. They roll fast, but they sure won’t love the mud!

daveh
    Free Member

Some good clues in there regarding the 29er target market me feels.

failedengineer

What does that mean?

snakebite
    Free Member

I have a 2013 medium with major upgrades for sale, immaculate with full warranty evo hubs, Hope X2, XO shifters, dropper, etc 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

Cheezpleez

My two penn’orth:

* Don’t cut the bars until you’ve ridden it for at least a month
    * Learn to brake with one finger. It gives you an extra digit on the bars
    * Put the dropper back on and make an effort to use it. Not just for steep stuff but more or less anything techy or non-pedally

Enjoy your new bike. I was v impressed when I had a go on one

mangatank
    Free Member

Some good clues in there regarding the 29er target market me feels.

Yeah, what does that mean?

Agree about the dropper seatpost, but it depends on your local terrain of course. They take some getting used to, and initially they’re a distraction, but they do have a big impact on how and what you ride.

messiah
    Free Member

My two penn’orth:

* Don’t cut the bars until you’ve ridden it for at least a month
    * Learn to brake with one finger. It gives you an extra digit on the bars
    * Put the dropper back on and make an effort to use it. Not just for steep stuff but more or less anything techy or non-pedally

+1 Cheezpleez

Sounds like a nice bike… enjoy!

rOcKeTdOg

I poo poo’d dropper posts thinking I could ride anything with a normal post but persevered and now it’s so myuch better & has given me much more confidence. Same for bars I went from 685 to 760 , now settled on 740’s so much more control. Stick with it for a bit before doing anything drastic

daveh
    Free Member

2 finger braking, cut the bars down, ditch the dropper post, to me it says traditional rolling countryside xc, it doesn’t say throw it at the scenery until you’re grinning like an ape. Not saying that there’s anything wrong with that.

mattjg
    Free Member

It just says rider being a little conservative with an unfamiliar bike.

@op as they say above, give the bars a good try before cutting, it takes only a day to get used to 1 finger braking, & give the dropper a chance too. Droppers aren’t just for DH, they’re great for any terrain where you’re moving about on the bike.

mangatank
    Free Member

Not saying that there’s anything wrong with that.

Of course you’re not! 😆

failedengineer

I don’t usually ride ‘traditional rolling xc’. Mainly Lakes, some Yorks Dales, occasional trail centre. Bit of everything. I’ll persevere with the bars, at least for a bit. I’ve already bought a new seatpost. Maybe I’m just not rad or gnarr enough (not sure which is which). Been doing this for 20-odd years though and I’m not a complete numpty. I’ll possibly keep the Reverb in case I feel the need, although the cash would help towards the bike. Wonder what it’s worth?……..

daveh
    Free Member

Maybe I’m just not rad or gnarr enough

I think that might be it, you’re obviously not sic shredding to the max.

SoWhat
    Free Member

“Been doing this 20- odd years and I’m not a complete numpty”
    Must be those big wheels then!!

failedengineer

Damn! I’d forgotten to ‘Sic shred’. I’ll need even wider bars for that, though. And some leg armour. And flat pedals. This is getting expensive.

goatherder
    Free Member

Thats a good read and re-assuring coincidence. Taken the plunge couple of week’s ago and have Whyte Works medium bone shaker on pre-order. Being 5’10” and still tearing around my 2006 Orange Five with hope brakes / XT group, till it turns up 🙂

corsair
    Free Member

Had my 129 Works for over a month now (sorry chowmein) and it’s going in today for its free first service with about 200 miles done. Very impressed with it so far. I’ve not had any problems with the shifters when using the brakes, either with one or two fingers, but maybe that’s a personal thing.

Mine seems as agile in the tight stuff as I need it to be, but I’m not doing much really tight single track at the moment so time will tell. I converted to tubeless myself with Roval Control Carbon rims which probably helps – the standard wheels don’t actually seem all that heavy anyway but every little helps. :mrgreen:

First time I’ve had a dropper and I do use it, even on the flat sometimes – quite handy for ducking under low overhanging branches!

FYI, I had to email Fox about the oil capacity for the forks as they weren’t in the Fox on-line list at that point. Not sure whether they’ve appeared yet, but if not this is what Fox sent back:

You would want to use 30ml of 10wt green oil in the bottom of both the damper and spring side and 5ml of FLOAT fluid in the air chamber.

If you get the transponder they offer when you register the bike, the one they sent me was useless as it’s meant to go in the seat tube, which is a bit full of reverb hose. Apparently there is a different one that can be fitted somewhere near the BB and they’ll send that if you ask (you’d hope they’d send that in the first place for a bike that needs it, but the Works wasn’t even on the option list when I registered so I had to say it was an S; I emailed them about that so hopefully they’ve sorted it by now). Not sure how much use the transponder is anyway but probably better to have than not.

failedengineer

Bugger! Forgot to register it.

I’m keeping the bars, at least for the time being. I’ve learned to live with the shifters, too. Plus I like the neat look. The Reverb’s been replaced by a standard Thomson and I haven’t missed it yet. However, as has been hinted at previously, I’m not rad or gnarr enough. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to manage without the dropper post, obviously.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Hi all I bought one of these today even managed a discount. It’s a 2014 model.
    Went out on my first ride tonight feels good, it’s my first 29er so it is a bit odd,

I didn’t get a warranty card how do you register it?

z1ppy

Well you used to register them on the ATB site to extend the 2year warranty to 4, but canne find anything on there now.

Looks like you do it on the whyte site now

http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/article.php?xArt=65

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘T-129 first impressions’ is closed to new replies.