Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • synthetic or low bulk down jacket
  • hooja
    Free Member

just after some opinions and options for a new jacket.
    My old patagonia micro puff jacket is dead…just ordered a finnisterre etobe from their sale and its too tight on the shoulders but next size up would be too big overall, so back it goes.
    I seem to have a patagonia fetish and need to break it, for the sake of my bank account, so wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative.
    must have a hood and be a snug fit, other option would have been a Rab microlight alpine but the missus bought one this winter and i feel to young to mincing about in matching jackets.
    cheers

dre
    Free Member

Hi mate,

Have you tried either of these?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bionnassay-down-xwarm-jacket-id_8189541.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bionnassay-light-down-jacket-id_8189548.html

I have the lighter version (which doesn’t have a hood), but both seem to have good quality down, a decent construction and are a bit more fitted than some of the other types I’ve tried. Could be worth a look?

-Adrian

hooja
    Free Member

If the lightweight one had a hood id be tempted to try it out, helluva good price too
    cheers for the links

chrisdw
    Free Member

As far as I can tell. Rab and Patagonia are the only companies that make the lightweight down jackets. Just had a quick browse and cant find any others.

Rab do make a fair few different colours of their Microlight tho, so maybe still worth a look?

Synthetic could be a more versatile way to go, but for the weight it wont pack down as small as down. Look at stuff like the Montane Prism, Rab Generator, Rab Photon Micro.

EDIT: Just seen a Mountain Hardware down jacket. But it looks a bit horrible! HERE

wrecker
    Free Member

Love my rab microlight alpine!
    Recommended for sure

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Something from Montane- Prism maybe?

hooja
    Free Member

yeah I’m with you on the nasty looks of the MH one. Had a montane flux, slightly bulkier prism, and that was great. Maybe a montane again is the way to go.
    Not too fussed on packability, as I’m after a fitted lightweight one either natural or synthetic would pack down as much as i need.
    Maybe buy the rab microlight and just stop going out anywhere with the missus… 😆

redfordrider
    Free Member

OOM Rocket Smock -ultralight and warm.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Rab Generator? The smock is super lightweight, the jacket more everyday.

CountZero

These aren’t too bad either:
    http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/069089
    I bought one in their sale for £39.95, and it’s a nice, very light jacket. I’m 6′, and not too bulky, and a large fits me perfectly.

headpotdog
    Free Member

North Face Catalyst jacket is light weight, has a hood & is 800 fill too (part of the Summit series). Love mine 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Shame you didn’t get on with the Finisterre sizing as their stuff is great – really lightweight and quick to dry. I pretty much live in my Bise.

Sure the next size up would be too big?

skywalker
    Free Member

I have one of these and its bloody brilliant.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Haglofs barrier jacket.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

montane prism. definitely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘synthetic or low bulk down jacket’ is closed to new replies.