• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Syntace Sual-chamber Tyre System
  • boltonjon

So, a little inner tube inside your tubeless tyre….

Pretty easy DIY fix i’d say – however, where is the advantage over a standard tubeless apart from being able to run down to 13psi

If i was to ride my tyres that low i’d be burping them all the time – would the wee little blue tube inside stop me burping??

Another engineering solution for a problem we didn’t know we had?

timmys

Pretty easy DIY fix i’d say

If you’re saying you can bodge this system yourself; how are you going to run 50-80psi in the inner tube without it filing the entire tyre?

If i was to ride my tyres that low i’d be burping them all the time – would the wee little blue tube inside stop me burping??

That’s the idea – the blue tube locks the beads in the rim.

Probably.

beefy

If you’re saying you can bodge this system yourself; how are you going to run 50-80psi in the inner tube without it filing the entire tyre?

20″ tube? would that still expand to fill the space? I like the idea to stop burps…mmm…there is some experimenting to be done.

richen987
    Free Member

feature on Pinkbike about Schwalbes system which was developed with Syntace

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe-announces-details-about-dual-chamber-tire-system-2014.html

PJM1974
    Free Member

A 20″ tyre would expand to fill the space, so the tube would have to be semi-rigid…

…while I’m at it, what is the point? I’ve never run tubeless any lower than 20psi and thus have never burped a tyre.

Northwind

boltonjon – Member

No, imo- it’s not fixing a problem, it’s just adding a new option.

I think mostly, it’s not for us tbh… But if you’re racing and you’ve had a puncture recently, it probably looks a lot more interesting. It’s basically double bagging it.

The whole super low pressure thing, I’m not sure about, maybe it needs a tyre designed with that in mind but a low pressure standard tyre usually feels grim.

goodgrief
    Free Member

It’s a definite problem, wide rims allow low pressure (sub 20psi) and it feels great until you pinch the tyre and have to attempt a trail-side repair.
    Reading an article yesterday revealed the core will be usable on any rim with >23mm internal width and a second valve hole so fingers crossed it doesn’t cost the earth, I’ll be getting on this asap.

njee20
    Free Member

It seems to be being pointed at the more gravity based styles of riding, I won’t say it’s enduro, but y’know… I think it’s quite an elegant solution if you want more grip.

wrecker
    Free Member

Rumoured to be ~150 euro/tyre…..
    I’d want some kind of warantee for that.

midnitedrive
    Free Member

The inner bead-lock tube is basically a 26″ (or whatever the fashionable wheel size of the moment is) tubular tyre without any tread, hence the ability to run it at high pressure. Probably already possible to bodge such a setup on a 29er…

packer
    Free Member

I would say pinch flats were definitely a problem most people know about.

AlexSimon

I’d say this was more a solution to tubeless ‘burping’ than to pinch punctures.
    It’s basically a way to lock the tyre beads into the rim.

As I mentioned on the article though – didn’t their test rider Nico Lau have a race-ruining puncture on this system at the last EWS.
    I guess tyre fragility is still exactly the same as it is with current tubeless systems.

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

As I mentioned on the article though – didn’t their test rider Nico Lau have a race-ruining puncture on this system at the last EWS.

I think he was a wee bit off the pace anyway but yep. Then again the next question is, how many punctures would he have had without it?

Does make you wonder about the strength of the “inner tyre” though doesn’t it if he flatted both cells.

boltonjon

I would say pinch flats were definitely a problem most people know about.

Absolutely agree – pinch flats were the bane of my life so tubeless has been a godsend – the odd burp is annoying, but it’s maybe 3 or 4 times a year

Is it enough of an issue to go dual chamber?

I used to cut the beads of old tyres and run them inside another tyre – it reduced pinch flats and normal punctures, but didn’t eradicate them fully – and weighed a ton

Looking forward to some unbiased real life experience – if they are good, then I would be tempted

STATO
    Free Member

Saw this at Fort William many years ago, one of the first WC rounds there. The B1 Team (remember them) were running 26″ tubular tyres inside their Michellins to prevent pinch flats.

bland

Its a grand idea, hunt need the price to come down a bit which it will, a lot of machine set up costs as well as r&d to swallow first

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

The whole super low pressure thing, I’m not sure about, maybe it needs a tyre designed with that in mind but a low pressure standard tyre usually feels grim.

Yep – have a Conti Kaiser tubed on the back of my big bike, riding hardpack trails with it the other day, and anything under 30 felt horribly squirmy in the corners.

Northwind

Schwalbe have been doing a lot of work with varying carcass tyres etc (stiff sides, unstiff faces) and fast and slow rebounding rubbers so maybe it all comes together nicely.

Having said that… I wish instead of pushing new ideas they’d sort out some of their existing problems with slicey tyres and knobs that break up/fall off. They make some great tyres but they don’t seem to have all the basics down. I guess they have to come up with some new USP now that there’s more competition in the 650b market.

honourablegeorge

Thinkl that’s the game with softer ruibber and lighter tyres – You can always go Maxxis and pay the weight penalty – although Maxxis are close to 55/60 Euro a tyre now, and you can get front and rear Schwalbe from Germany for 60/65

chiefgrooveguru

Makes a lot of sense to me! I don’t ride hard enough to burp tubeless with Flow EX rims and reinforced tubeless ready tyres at low pressure but plenty of racers ride far harder than me.

I’ve been impressed at how I can run a Super Gravity tyre up front at little over 20psi (and lower in the wet) with no sign of squirm. I suspect that might not hold up with the G forces the pros pull around berms or the impacts when landing – and one burp and you’ve lost the race!

goodgrief
    Free Member

After reading this article http://www.mtb-mag.com/en/first-ride-schwalbe-procore-dual-chamber-system/ it’s clear the core can be used with any suitable rim and your fave tyre. I’ve got a new LB rim on the way and I’ve asked for two valve holes so it’s ready for Procore or whatever competing systems arrive.
    I’ve had more holed sidewalls in the last few months than probably my collective 8 or 9 years on a mountain bike, the width of the LB rim begs for low pressures!

Yak

I’m quite light and tubeless feels best at around 15f/18r psi. But with some v light tyres like a racing ralph, it feels squirmy in the corners and feels like there’s too much deformation. Heavier tyres overcome this. Obviously more pressure will fix this, but then I’ve lost the grip/speed benefits the rest of the time.

Maybe this duel chamber thing might be good for lighter riders?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Syntace Sual-chamber Tyre System’ is closed to new replies.