Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Syncing an iPod with Windows Media Player
  • IHN

I’m thinking of getting rid of iTunes as I never actually buy anything from it (I’m a physical CD buying kinda guy), I just use it to sync my iPod. Plus, I get a bit peeved with how it wants to rearrange where and how I keep my music stored on the laptop.

What’s Windows Media Player like for iPod syncing?

GrahamS

Plus, I get a bit peeved with how it wants to rearrange where and how I keep my music stored on the laptop.

Switch that bit off.

On my PC, Windows Media Player and iTunes both use the same folders of mp3s that are all organised where I put them (My Music->Artist->Album->mp3).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3038531?start=0&tstart=0

IHN

Switch that bit off.

I have, but if I rip CD’s using iTunes it automatically sticks them in iTunes Music folder, and I don’t want it to, I want it in the My Music->Artist->Album folder. However, I’m b*ggered if I can find the setting in iTunes to make it do this.

GrahamS

I usually rip CDs with Media Player then point iTunes at the mp3s afterwards.

IHN

That’s what I’m thinking of doing, but if WMP will do the syncing as well (will it?) I might as well get shot of iTunes. One less thing cluttering up the laptop…

spacey

WMP won’t sync with an ipod (as far as I know). I hate itunes and ditched it. Two alternatives are media monkey and winamp, which are both available as free downloads. I use media monkey and find it great. Have a google of those two and see what you reckon.

STATO
    Free Member

I have, but if I rip CD’s using iTunes it automatically sticks them in iTunes Music folder, and I don’t want it to, I want it in the My Music->Artist->Album folder

Why does this matter, if your using iTunes to sync your ipod you never need look at folders full of files ever again.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

i don’t think WMP will sync an iPod – try RealPlayer instead if you want to get rid of Itunes

sam_underhill

copytrans lets you just drag and drop stuff onto your ipod. Not so much “sync”, more “do what I say, when I say it”.

iTunes is the biggest pile of junk I’ve had the misfortune to use.

GrahamS

It’s not great, but I still stick with iTunes (for syncing our iPhones) mainly because:

– it does full backups of the devices when it syncs, which has proved very useful a couple of times.

– it handles all the syncing properly (movies, photos, podcasts, apps, iTunes U, contacts etc)

– it’s the Apple way so sticking with it lets you do other stuff (like use the iTunes remote, wifi sync etc).

I’m willing to put up with it’s failings for those benefits, though I guess not all of those apply to an iPod, particularly an older generation one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Syncing an iPod with Windows Media Player’ is closed to new replies.