Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • SX Trails / Reign X1s.
  • GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Im sure a there are a few pimpy examples of both on here? What are the frame weights for each (with a coil shock) and what does your build weigh in at?

Pics and some build details please.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Weighs – enough 😉

muddy_fox
    Free Member

I don’t do pimped up rides, those are for people who never ride.

just functional

38lb with DH tyres and tubes or 36lb with XC tyres and tubes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the reign is frankly embarsing, you very soon get bored of being laughed at by hardtail riders wondering why youd ride a full suser that big at cannock, then overtaking them despite the frankly enormous head start you gave them on the next section of trail 🙂

spoon: soon to be ex-hardtail ridder.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mine isnt strictly a SX Trail but the frame was the same in 06 it was just the shock length and the shock shuttle that were different. And it does have a coil shock on but its only got 6″.

I have pics but Im getting a little worried about over exposure so I wont post them.

The frame and shock weighs in at about 3.8kgs so about 8.4lbs. My full build comes in at 35lbs according to my cheapo fleabay scales and it could easily get lighter but without spending loads it would be at the expense of strength but then it would be more like an enduro.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

muddy_fox
    I don’t do pimped up rides, those are for people who never ride.

just functional

I am thinking of replacing two bikes with one. It needs to be a capable dh/freeride bike that can be hauled to the top. To that end I’d like to know what’s possible weight wise as it would probably be a long term project. Coil would be a must fron and rear, but a ti spring and some slightly more xc orientated parts could find a home in the build.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I find mine really good but it just swallows up a lot of the smaller trail obstacles that on a shorter travel bike you would bounce off and use as little kickers.

I use mine as a DH bike at times and a general trail bike. It will also climb anything your legs can get you up. Took mine round the MBR at CyB last week and it rocked.

solamanda
    Free Member

From having ridden a few SX trails and a couple reigns (non-x), I’d get the Giant. They feel alot more efficient under pedalling and the suspension action feels far better controlled when used for dh.

adstick
    Free Member

Or another way of looking at it – the Reign has a lot more pedal feedback 🙂 Quite fancied one myself, until I rode one and hated it. Think it depends on your riding style. I prefer the Specialized. Both good bikes, you can get an SX down to 33-34lbs (if you spend a lot of money).

Tracey

Kevins 38lbs

Tracey

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

adstick – Member
    Or another way of looking at it – the Reign has a lot more pedal feedback Quite fancied one myself, until I rode one and hated it. Think it depends on your riding style. I prefer the Specialized.

Care to elaborate? Why do you prefer the spesh? I think 35lbs would be a nice weight for an all rounder so that would be my target.

Shandy
    Free Member

My SX – around 33/34 lbs. Sorry about the watermarks.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Could you give me a spec list?

mboy
    Free Member

Just got this a week or so ago, and already ridden it 3 times. I LOVE IT! Basically I was after either an SX Trail or a Reign X, depended what came up at a very good price on the 2nd hand market, and this was too good an opportunity to miss.

More pics here.

I’m “told” the frame is about a lb lighter than a Bullit (my old Bullit was 9.5lb including 5th Element shock), and then knock another half lb or so off for the air shock compared to the coil. I haven’t had the bike apart to weigh the frame though so couldn’t guarantee that. It does certainly ride lighter than its weight though (between 32 and 33lb in its current form).

FWIW I agree with Solamanda, having had a couple of Specialized’s in the past and really liking them, the Maestro suspension on the Giant is even better if that’s possible! You get far more pedalling efficiency (no bob, even with propedal turned off), yet lose none of the suspension action over bumps etc. Geometry is spot on too. As I said, I love it! It just needs shorter cranks and it’ll be complete.

mboy
    Free Member

Or another way of looking at it – the Reign has a lot more pedal feedback

Does it? 😕

Not that I’ve noticed! Ok, chain growth on a 4 bar such as the Specialized is very minimal, but it’s probably almost as minimal on the Reign X too. Certainly it’s nothing like the old high forward single pivot bikes like my old Bullit, or an Orange 222 etc.

Shandy
    Free Member

Float 36 RC2s
    SLX groupset with my old Saint brakes
    Mavic 321s on Hope Pro2s, Panaracer Rampage SCs
    Spank Bars, Stem, Lock-ons.
    Thomson Seatpost, Fizik Saddle

AndyPaice
    Free Member

A mate on his ’08 SX Trail, weight over 40lb I think.

my enduro, weighs about 40lb

very fun bikes indeed and do go uphill, albeit slowly.

adstick
    Free Member

I don’t know exactly what the Maestro axle path is like, but when I rode a Reign I really didn’t like the fact that the pedals jumped if you hit a decent sized bump. As I say I think it depends on your riding style, I like the pedalling feel of the Spec over the Giant.

dropoff

Given the choice and having ridden both it’s the specialized everytime for me.

jam-bo

my SX was about 34ish with totems up front. good allround bike but the commy miniDH was a better DH bike.

now on a five and a supreme DH as i’ve realised that one bike for everything just doesnt work. too many compromises.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

jam bo
    my SX was about 34ish with totems up front. good allround bike but the commy miniDH was a better DH bike.

now on a five and a supreme DH as i’ve realised that one bike for everything just doesnt work. too many compromises.

Totem airs? – I’m aware that it’ll be a slight compromise compared to a dh bike but I’m at the stage where I am almost as quick on a hardtail as a dh bike and Im not really overly concerned with being a bit slower. Super steep, fast technical downhill trails with fireroad climbs are the order of the day so a slight compromise in descending in favour of a lighter bike which takes the sting out of the descents makes more sense I think.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“Super steep, fast technical downhill trails with fireroad climbs are the order of the day so a slight compromise in descending in favour of a lighter bike which takes the sting out of the descents makes more sense I think. “

sounds fun 🙂 where’s that kind of riding found then?

AndyA
    Free Member

Weighs in at 35.4lb as shown. Ti spring and a few other changes and it could easily be under 35lb. I love it. Don’t think you can go too far wrong with either bike.

Spec includes 36Van R’s, DHX3 coil shock, now has slx cranks instead of the pictured hones(bit lighter now actually with the shimano bash instead of the E13), kona wahwah pedals, avid elixir r’s, mavic 719’s with maxxis advantage tyres, the rest is thomson, raceface ,sunline, and sram.

muddy_fox
    Free Member

mine takes most things in it’s stride

or video of it here

dropoff

Nice vid 🙂

muddy_fox
    Free Member

cheers!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

AndyPaice

sounds fun where’s that kind of riding found then?

Sorry but it’s a well kept secret. I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you.

didmatt
    Free Member

I own a SX trail One 08 and my friend has the Reign X2 2009. Whilst the Reign goes up hills alot easier then the SX, for me my SX was more comfortable going over rough terrain and feels more planted.

mboy
    Free Member

didmatt

You MAY want to let some air out of those forks, or get a softer spring! 😕

Looks like you’re getting less than about 70mm of travel from a 160mm travel fork currently!

jam-bo

totem coils. reasonably light but strong build, the stuff they come with is pretty heavy.

Not sure what the 09’s are like but the 07/08’s mediums are pretty long and barge like…

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

My Reign X1 in uphill mode. A brilliant bike IMHO. Very little pedal feedback unless you stomp the gears in the granny ring and mega plush and stable downhill. Feels really nicely balanced and has done me proud all over from Whistler Bike Park and the North Shore to Verbier (where this pic was taken) to Scottish trail centres and everything in between. Basically a mini DH bike you can ride cross country with not much bother.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I see that’s a small (16 inch?) woody, what height are you?

didmatt
    Free Member

mboy
    You MAY want to let some air out of those forks, or get a softer spring! [:?]

Looks like you’re getting less than about 70mm of travel from a 160mm travel fork currently!

The front fork? its just from the angle which ive taken the photo. I think anyways, ill check it as it needs cleaning after a week on the isle of skye!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

He’s going by the amount of mud thats been pushed up the stanchion.

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

I’m about 5’8. It comes up quite short so the front wheel sometimes lifts easily on steep techy climbs but other than that its perfect.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘SX Trails / Reign X1s.’ is closed to new replies.