Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Switiching bike – MTB to CX?
  • rjj
    Free Member

Hi,

I have spent the past few years getting back into MTB and managed to build myself up a Santa Cruz Chamelon (1999 model, bombers, deore drive & brakes, Mavic/shimano wheels). This is a great bike but due to work and family it hardly gets ridden – once a month maybe. I would like to think that when I go riding I use it for what it is designed for but in reality my local riding spots are basic wooded trails. I have recently bought a cheap road bike – £50 – and have been out about 8 times in three weeks!! That bike is in need of updating if it is too be used that much so I am now thinking of selling the Chameleon and getting a CX bike but would I regret it? I like the off ride riding that I do but need to improve my bike for the much more available on road riding? Would it better to switch to a CX bike? If so how much would I expect to get for my Chamelon in order to fund it?

Any thoughts appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Richard.

Hairychested
    Free Member

1. If you sell it you will regret it, avoid doing it if possible.
    2. Old road bikes are sturdy, new brake blocks, cables and rubber won’t bankrupt you.
    3. CX bikes are great if you ride them as intended, not so fabulous as pure road bikes. You can always get one when you have more cash.
    4. You won’t sell it for that much, probably far less than it’s really worth.
    Chameleons are fantastic, just ask Hora.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Stick some rigid forks on the Chameleon and some thinner tyres as a first off.

You’ll quite likely regret selling it, and you’ll certainly get less than you want for it.

rjj
    Free Member

Thanks – yeah I do think I may regret selling it but it just is not really being used..

Hairychested
    Free Member

The bikes I loved but sold are solemnly missed, those I gave away aren’t. When you have more than 1 bike it becomes difficult to use them all a lot. Get the roadie going, upgrade as you kill. Keep the SC, you know it’s right.

5lab

there’s nothing to stop your riding the SC on the road. A spare wheelset with some skinny tyres on would make it a reasonable do-everytyhing machine. It won’t be as quick as a road bike, but you’re not doing races.

rjj
    Free Member

I’m really enjoying riding the road bike but it feels creaky – cannot get cash any other way than to sell Chameleon. Mmmmm…

loddrik
    Free Member

Switiching bike – MTB to CX?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

rjj
    Free Member

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

the joke?

hora
    Free Member

OP I own an old lugged steel track bike. The only thing I’ve upgraded are the wheels. Thats it.

Its great fun. DONT get rid of the Santa Cruz- its worth **** all if you sell it. I’ve got a 10yr old fully functioning XTR rear mech on my bike. Its worth nothing to a new buyer but worth its weight in gold to me.

rjj
    Free Member

After a weekend of thinking about it – probably going to stick with what I’ve got – certanly would not be able to afford anot Chameleon if I got rid. Cheers all.

clubber
    Free Member

the joke?

Loddrick himself, I think…

I’d suggest keeping the Cham – it’ll get crap money compared to what it’s worth to you.

If you want a CX then try one first – CX bikes are brilliant but they’re not mtbs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Switiching bike – MTB to CX?’ is closed to new replies.