Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Switching to Windows 8
  • spooky_b329

Guys,

Just received a new laptop at work, I’ve seen others using Metro for months and thought it looked clumsy, now I’ve got it, but its even worse as I don’t have a touchscreen like they do!

So, what is the best way to use (or avoid) the Metro tiles?

I’m on a locked down laptop with no access to Metro Apps, no touchscreen, and it also appears to have a rather clumsy buttonless touch pad that you can tap, but for some reason also positively clicks down when you add pressure, but doesn’t appear to reliably act as a click.

Can I avoid metro altogether? I don’t understand why I have some sort of hybrid desktop plus Metro!

molgrips
    Free Member

Why is it so hard to just click on them with a mouse instead of a finger?

The touchpad is probably configurabe.

spooky_b329

I used to have several quicklaunch icons for my common programs but seem to be limited to full size icons now so I can’t get many pinned to the start bar

spooky_b329

well for a start, the mouse doesn’t seem to open the various swipe menus very well (you need to understand I’ve seen it being used on touchscreen laptops fairly regularly)

I know its new and I’ll get the hang of it…but its a big change. Looking for tips basically.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t swipe with the mouse, you just put it on the side or in the corner and the menu appears.

From memory, at least. Not used it in a while.

seavers
    Free Member

I use classic shell, you can have a start button and use it like win 7. hardly ever see that metro rubbish now.

Edit: Classic shell is free to download and use.

spooky_b329

mmm…not permitted to install anything 🙁

I won’t die, sure I’ll get used to it!

martinhutch

Isn’t there a button marked ‘Desktop’ on yours? Just click that.

MrOvershoot

You must work for a company even more useless at implementing IT changes than ours!!

Ours won’t touch W8 with a bargepole as the amount of user training would be silly, W7 Enterprise means all users have a fairly familiar interface.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Switching to Windows 8’ is closed to new replies.