• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Switching to flats – shin pads required?
  • empy
    Free Member

Decided to give it a go – mainly to improve confidence cornering when its loose. But are my bad spd habits on hops going to result in some nasty shin scars when I forget I’m not clipped in? How long does it take to get used to flats after spds – e.g. learning to jump again? Anyone switch regularly between the two?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I started using flats to get out of the habit of the “spud hop”. There were a few scary foot-off-pedal moments but I must admit I don’t ever recall raking my shins on the pins. In fact the only time the pins cause any “scratches” is when pushing, when they can whack into the back of your lower leg – shin pads won’t help there.

I use slightly longer pins than stock and have 5.10s. They stick like the proverbial to a blanket and re-adjusting my foot position has to be conscious lift up and place back down. There is less “float” with my flats than my SPDs.

I swap regularly from flats to SPDs. If i’m “playing in the woods” I’ll use flats ‘cos I’m likely to be in the air now and again. If I’m off on a long day out I take my SPDs. More recently I’ve been using the flats for XC too. Flats defo help with learning to corner more aggressively too.

Do it 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, I needed them with V8’s and trainers, but not with burgtechs and flat skate shoes.

Equally technique helps, drop your heels, don’t be a passenger etc.

empy
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s encouraging! I’m 50:50 messing about in woods vs XC rides on the South Downs. Not sure I really fancy flats on longer XC rides though.

Tried some 5.10s in the lbs and that’s what sold me – in fact I’m a bit worried about the complete lack of float vs my knees….

EDIT – thisisnot… slightly less encouraging…looks like 5.10s are way to go.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

As said above, don’t underesitmate how important correct foot placement is. It’s not just about dropping heels but about where your foot is on the pedal.

ahwiles
    Free Member

don’t forget to hold a crow’s feather in your trunk…

oh no, hang on.

that’s elephants isn’t it?

make an effort to go and play, try things, repeat things, learn.

don’t just go for a ride (but do that too – obviously)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yes you need them, but wear them backwards as it’s actually the back of your calves that will bear the scars of your transition.

I made this transition about five years ago and I’ve got bear claws down mine!

montylikesbeer

V8’s and a pair of Vans for me works wonders.

After a while you kind of get used to it, like others have said foot position on the pedal is important, but after a while it kind of happens on its own.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mr MC would say definately! He’s had a few shinned moments. AFter 15 years of riding it’s taken him 18 months to get used to riding flats, he isn’t swapping between the two. The reason to re-learn with flats was day 1 Morzine 10 minutes on the big and falling off snapping the top off his knee..ouch. Plus he didn’t like 5 10’s as they were too solid and he couldn’t “feel” the pedal, prefers skate shoes such as Vans/

jimjam
    Free Member

Full time flat rider here. In the five years or so that I’ve been wearing 5 10s, am 40s and now vans flat pedal specific shoes I can remember exactly two occaisions when my foot slipped off the pedal while wearing those shoes. I remember them clearly because I slapped my shins. Hard. I wear knee pads as opposed to shin and knee style.

When wearing ordinairy skate shoes it happened a bit more often.

I notice than most of my shin/pedal interactions happen either in a crash, a bail or some sort of “moment”. Or pushing the bike along and accidentally kicking it!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I dont. 5.10s and slimjim pedals. I get “bounced” on my HT sometimes if I go in a bit hot.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

he couldn’t “feel” the pedal

I use 5.10 freeriders and if anything I feel the pedal too much. My feet ache sometimes on longer rocky unrelenting descents

jedi

feet, body and heels matter 🙂

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Switch between the two a lot, never cause me any probs. Get the odd cut/gauge here and there but it don’t bother me and shouldn’t bother you.

Tinners

I decided to switch to flats (V12s) after coming to a wobbling halt on a muddy incline one too many times, back wheel spinning aimlessly before keeling over sideways and cracking my ribs on the ground. Unfortunately, I now ride like I’m negotiating a rock garden when I’m riding along billiard table smooth tarmac, alternately lifting each foot off the pedal on the upstroke, then stomping back down on the pedal again on the downstroke. Sometimes you miss the pedal altogether. Your shins will look like you’ve been running a cheese grater over them. I’ve never resorted to shin pads though – it’s the coward’s way out. Mrs T reckons that I look like I’m suffering from a neurological disorder as I ride down the street on flats. However, for me, the choice is between keeling over while pedalling uphill with SPDs or bouncing off going downhill on flats. Still, makes for an interesting spectator sport for the ramblers and livestock round my way who’ve learned to quickly scrabble out of the way when they see me coming.

Northwind

I’ve only ever worn shinpads for DH, so they’re certainly not needed- that said I do have some nice scars. There’ll be a transition period where if you’ve got them, wearing them would not be daft, you’re quite likely to have some moments… But once you’re used to them your feet should be planted, you oughtn’t to find you’re scraping yourself day to day while riding.

It’ll also depend how good your technique is now, if you’re nicely weighted on the pedals and riding with the bike not on it, you’ll do OK but if you’re relying on the SPDs for your connection, you’re going to have some learning to do.

They’ll still get you occasionally mid-crash, but the really sneaky trick is pushing- mine have bitten me quite a few times in the garage, or pushing up hills, especially in the snow- adding in loss of sensation to the calves and bad footing made for a pretty blood-splashed ride :mrgreen:

mikertroid
    Free Member

No.

I’ve gouged my calves a few times though. Looks like a tiger attack scar, so not all bad.

empy
    Free Member

Some good advice here – thanks all! Might be getting the shin pads out on a temporary basis. Its going to be fun learning to ride again… 🙂

devs
    Free Member

After whacking my shins that many times I don’t really feel it any more. Sure they bleed when a grub screw sticks in all the way to the bone but that “hold your breath for 5 mins before fighting back the tears kind of pain” doesn’t happen any more. It must do a similar thing to what kick boxers do. Pushing will cut you, picking up the bike and running down Laggan black after an unfixable mechanical will slash your calf but climbing techy stuff will mess your shins up the most. I don’t think I’ve ever whacked a shin descending.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Switching to flats – shin pads required?’ is closed to new replies.