Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Switching to 1×10 – what chainring?
  • rondo101
    Free Member

Morning all.

Want to switch to 1×10 on my hardtail, with 11-36 on the back & 34t up front. Currently running 2×9 on a SLX chainset.

Firstly, is there such a thing as a 10-speed specific chainring? Any recommendations of what to go for?

Secondly, if there is, can I use it with my existing SLX cranks?

Finally, would a Blackspire Stinger be enough to hold the chain in place, or do I need an upper guide?

Ta muchly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

9 and 10 speed chainrings both work fine with 10 speed chains. I went for a renthal ring.

Will be ok with SLX as I think they are a standard BCD.

Not sure about the stinger, thought they were for doubles. Went for an LG1+ here, does the job very well.

rootes1

any 9 speed unramped full tooth ring…

i’m using a salsa ring

http://salsacycles.com/components/chainrings1/

prezet
    Free Member

I used an E13 ring with a LG1+ guide – works fine with my SLX cassette/mech

MrTall
    Free Member

I tried with the existing XT ring to start but after i lost the chain on the first ride just popping up over a curb i went to a proper non ramped chainring (Renthal) and although i’ve not done huge miles on it yet it has been spot on so far. Looks nice too and is lighter than the XT.
    If i recall, 9 & 10 speed chainrings will all work fine with a 10sp chain?

padrc66
    Free Member

i’m using one of these, cheaper but heavier:

on-one stainless chainring

it’s been faultless so far with no chain device arounf cannock, llandegla, etc.

honourablegeorge

Have Gamut, Chromag and MRP rings on different bikes, no issues with any of them. Hope, E13, RaceFace & Renthal make them too, and there’s less than five grams between the lightest and heaviest of them, so looks and price is about all that you can base your choice on, really. Blackspire do one that’s about a tenner cheaper than any of the above on CRC

I’d get the Gamut (some EBay bargains to be had) or Renthal ones, because the type of anodising they have doesn’t seem to wear off them, had the Gamut the longest of the three and it still looks like new.

All work fine with both 9 and 10 speed.

Rickos
    Free Member

Plain Middleburn ring would be the best (not slick shift or whatever they call it). Light enough and good value too.

If you’re going to have one guide then I’d recommend it to be the top. I wouldn’t just run a Stinger.

One bike has a Middleburn hardcoat ring and the other has a Blackspire, but only cos the Middleburn’s weren’t in stock. One bike has a Gamut full guide and the other – the hardtail – runs with one of these – http://www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk/index.html
    It’s like a thin bashring that sits on the granny ring tabs and sandwiches the chain between that and your normal bashring. Works so far and I used to drop the chain with an N-Gear Jump stop, so quite pleased.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Renthal or e13 unramped chainring – light, strong and hardwearing

Stinger may be sufficient – they’re meant for dual rings though aren’t they?

rondo101
    Free Member

Stinger may be sufficient – they’re meant for dual rings though aren’t they?

They’re designed to be used with a double (hence why I’ve got one for my 2×9 setup), but having spent several rides without dropping to the granny and without the chain jumping off the middle, I just wondered whether it would work with a single-ring setup.

Plenty of different options for the chainring then! (as expected from STW). This seems the best advice:

so looks and price is about all that you can base your choice on, really

skiprat
    Free Member

Running 1 x 9 on my 456 and have been using a Middleburn ring for a few months now. I had it going spare but it looks nice and is showing no signs of wear.

As for chain guides, i use a Superstar BB mount and a Stinger. No way that chain is bouncing off!! Work fine with a single ring and if you feel the need to go back to a double, it’ll work there too.

zangolin
    Free Member

Good single 9/10 rings: Hope, Renthal, e13, Blackspire Pro DH.

Upper guide would be minimum for me – SS one is cheap + functional- Stinger will be fine with a single ring – better but lot more money would be a Straitline Silent Guide.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

TA Specialites Chinook x10 are damm good rings. I have a ramped one on my single speed without guides/tensioners or any of that nonsence and have never dropped a chain no matter what I try and do – although I do not have funny chainlines like you 1×10 ers do.

I do not believe on hardtails everyone needs guides e.t.c to keep the chain on if the chain is the right length, chain/rings not worn e.t.c If you have a full susser that different then you will more than likely need a upper guide and stinger of some description.

singlecrack
    Free Member
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have used 2 Blackspire unramped rings in 6061 but I think they have worn faster than I would have liked. I just bought a gorgeous Raceface 32t single ring in harder 7075. It highly machined, weighs next to nothing and had lovely laser etching. Not tried it yet so can’t comment on feel or longevity.

FYI: I’m also running my 1×9 with an BB fit E13 Hive top-guide and as short a chain as possible with an XT medium mech on an 11-32 XT Cassette. It works well for half day rides.

Northwind

I tried a stinger on mine (I had one lying around) and it didn’t seem to achieve an awful lot, still fell off pretty much every time I hit a bump worth mentioning. So I went with a Superstar top guide (the BB-mount one, not the crappy frame mount one) and ditched the bottom guide and that worked very well- not perfect but good enough.

If it was going to see constant, proper rough treatment I’d suggest a bottom guide too but top is IMO essential for everything apart from fairly smooth riding, even with a long toothed ring.

Oh and personally I can’t tell any difference between my old middleburn, my current E13, or the renthal ring I used for a while. All good, all light (Renthal was the lightest I think), but none stood out.

rondo101
    Free Member

Just to throw a spanner in the works, but would using one of those xtr (or XT & SLX later in the year) “clutch” mechs negate the requirement for any chain device?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Switching to 1×10 – what chainring?’ is closed to new replies.