Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Switched back from 1x
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Saw this via Singletrack’s Facebook feed:
    http://singletrackworld.com/columns/2016/06/12-reasons-1x-drivetrains-suck/

Article is a little tongue in cheek, but as someone that’s recently switched back from 1×10 to 2×10, I wondered if there was anyone else out there who’s done similar.

For me, compelling reason was pushing up big ‘natural’ climbs, which I could have ridden with a granny ring (I’m a spinner). For me, 1×10 was fine in local woods or trail centres.

Andy

Yep the same. Loved the simplicity of 1 x and whilst found it fine for local rides, really suffered from fatigue on 50 mile plus rides.
    I think there is a fitness threshhold which if fit enough it works, but sadly if like me you are old and weedy maybe not 😀

dryroasted
    Free Member

I’VE only just changed to 1 x 10, now your telling me I should change back, im so behind the times.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from 3×9 to 1×11. Still wondering if it’s worth all the fuss.

pnik

Id agree with that, i’ve reverted to a front mech, not a spinner as such just unfit and not riding frequently enough.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nope, not found anything I can’t do 10-42 that I can’t do 2x. Most local rides involve a 5-700m climb too. When I raced over 4 days and a 12 and 24 1x where I’d been 2x previously and went faster it sealed it for me.

scotroutes

Never went away from it. Currently running 2×11 on the B+. Gives me a good range of climbing gears and fast gears for road “transitions”.

ajantom

There is a middle way of you don’t want to refit the front shifter and cables (or can’t on some new FS frames). Fit the granny gear on the crankset and you can use it as an emergency kick-down gear for really steep hills. Means you can still use your NW ring too.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I used to ride 1×9 with a tight range block, then I went to 1×9 with a wide range cassette, then went to a 3×9 and have just gone 2×10. I really couldn’t get anywhere with 1×9 I was a pretty strong cyclist who raced on road and cross, commuted 150 miles a week on fixed gear etc. Obviously the rear cassettes nowadays are ridiculous and get you most of the way back to a granny ring. When I was building up my new bike I was considering 1×11 but having to fanny about with the rear wheels to make them compatible seemed like a bit too much work/expense for no gain.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

I too am highly unfashionable with a 2×11. There is a lot to be said for have a bailout gear when you’re tired. Being able to comfortably spin out a long steep climb is very important to me as there should be energy left over at the top to enjoy the descent. The other issue is that pushing too hard in a gear makes my knees ache quite badly, but upping the cadence and dropping the load on my knees is a godsend. I really can’t see too many drawbacks of a front mech.

cakefacesmallblock

I built my year old trail bike up 2×10, fearing that I might struggle with 1x.
    When I say struggle I mean that it’s not just about the lowest or highest gear, more that when I’m tired, or even just want to be able to get up stuff at the comfiest cadence I can manage, I find its good to be able to click up or down just to get a tiny benefit from a bigger or smaller gear.
    I have also bought a fat bike, locally, this gets used for all sorts of rides, but many which involve slightly flatter terrain than the local forest trails , or at least a ride to them. It’s 2 x10, but I have removed the 16 t ( think so anyway, might have been 17) from the XT cassette to fit a 42 t expander. Seems perhaps daft to say, but I really notice that gap, particularly, when sometimes it’s right where I want a gear . For me it’s about largely about the gap between gears, not just the extremes.

slimjim78
    Free Member

But with a 30/46 or even 28/46 set up you’re spinning like a hamster on meth. How can you need lower gearing?
    I don’t feel the need to go back to a granny ring, plus I love the simplicity of set up and maintenance on a single.

km79
    Free Member

… spinning like a hamster on meth.

😆

Sundayjumper

I’m still using 3×9. I like the chainline.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Switched back from 1x’ is closed to new replies.