Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Swiss Army Penknives – Best Brands and Where to Buy From
  • peteimpreza

I want one , budget around £50 .

What does STW suggest ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘Swiss Army’ = Victorinox.

RustySpanner

You can download a massive brochure from the Victorinox site.

It’s ace.
    🙂

I like the cadet.

CHB

Historically there were two: Victorinox and Wenger that have some right to call themselves “swiss army knife”.
    For <£50 I would just buy a Swiss Champ from Amazon for about £45.
    The Victorinox lock knives are good too, but a Swiss Champ is the best value knife out there.

ampthill

I prefer less bits than that Champ. Juts browse for what you’ll use. Tin opener, bottle opener, saw and scissors i find useful. Fish scaler less so…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Small one = Rambler
    Big one = Huntsman

km79
    Free Member

The Victorinox Farmer Alox makes a cracking pocket knife. Slim with just enough tools. The awl on these knives makes them worth it alone.

Can be had for just over £20 online if you search on google.

http://www.heinnie.com/victorinox-pioneer-range-farmer-alox

peteimpreza

CFH is that your anal dildo collection or a brand of knife?

peteimpreza

Thanks for all the other suggestions

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If it is, thenot I’m currently chopping this saucisson with a butt plug!

I’m not, obviously.

dknwhy

I’ve got a victorinox spartan. Ridiculously cheap on Amazon.

chudsy
    Free Member

http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/home.php have a look on here, they have pretty much the full range. Alox range either cadet or pioneer for my next one but I’ve been more than happy with a climber model for the last 15 years.

piemonster

I’m not, obviously.

Wouldn’t put it past you.

You do seem quite partial to a Swiss blade and a pork sausage!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You do seem quite partial to a Swiss blade and a pork sausage!

Yep.

🙂

piemonster

😆

riddoch

I like the cybertool as it has a screwdriver which comes in handy at this time of year opening battery doors on kids toys.

andy8442
    Free Member

Leatherman.

End of thread.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gerber.

Thread closed.

joshvegas
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Small one = Rambler
    Big one = Huntsman

Same here. Excellent choices.

I’d avoid alox the tweezers and toothpick are probably my most used. Look nice though.

crankboy
    Free Member

Spartan had one since I was 10 lost my first when I was 22 my second’s blades are now half width from sharpening my wife got me my third for my 50th.

Ambrose

Victorinox’s customer service is second to none. Better even than Hope. I broke my Victorinox main blade. It was replaced foc in less than a week. It was my fault (hammer time, frustration)but they just would not let me pay. Fantastic kit that works and works and works. And if you mess it up, they will sort it for you with as little hassle possible.

For what it’s worth, I use a Workchamp, pliers are great. http://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/c/SAK_LargePocketKnives

In my wallet I have a Swisscard. Used almost daily.
    http://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissCards/c/SAK_SwissCard

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Absolutely love the Victorinox Swiss Champ I’ve had for a few years. Is one thing I’d take with me come the zombie holocaust.

Yet most often pocketed is my old Victorinox ‘Camper’. Almost perfect, used for cooking, minor jobs and, er, camping.

I’d buy the ‘Hiker’ if replacing that, for the driver and lack of mostly useless corkscrew on the Camper (although I like fresh coconuts and always milk them using the corkscrew so it does have exactly one use!)

ninfan
    Free Member

Hmm, so many to choose from!

I still love my yonks old green victorinox Mauser that sits in my shooting bag alongside a Gerber. Desperately miss my long lost locking victorinox hunter, though the special ‘gutting’ blade was always better for cutting string and cord tbh.

Someone gave me a realtree camo wenger locking one to replace it that’s lovely, but WTF is the point in a camo knife that you can never find when you put it down? Should be bright orange like my EKA.

I think of the current victorinox range the aluminium scale/sided ones are a lot nicer than the plastic ones, like the Alex farmer and cadet. I have a bantam from that range and it’s nice – they also used to do a simple one with the chunky scales like the Mauser, but in red, that was good as it had a proper lanyard hole.

I think my most trusted day to day one now would be the British army knife I was given (2 piece non locking) to replace another issue ‘oil the joints’ one that someone pilfered off me years ago. I think that their sheepsfoot blade is lovely to use and much more up to some abuse than the little victorinox, so that would be my overall recommendation

aphex_2k
    Free Member

SAK Climber (Victorinox)

Just realised the other day that mine is 30 years old… Given to me by my gramps when I was 10 (I know, what a 10th birthday present!) and I’m 40 in Feb.

Lovely bits of kit. Best scissors on any pen knife.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Swiss Army Penknives – Best Brands and Where to Buy From’ is closed to new replies.