• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Swishing/scraping noise when pedalling?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’m sure there was a thread about something like this a few weeks ago, I was going to have a look to see what was said but can’t find it in searches.

Basically, on my commuter bike, when I pedal I get a swishing/scraping noise, almost like the chain is rubbing on the front mech for the whole revolution – it’s not, happens in large and middle ring. Doesn’t happen when I back-pedal, only under load. Difficult to diagnose on a stand as I can’t replicate it without pedalling on it.

Nothings loose.

Seems to be getting worse with use.

I’m pretty sure my poor old legs are not producing awesome frame/bb/chainset warping power.

Any thoughts?

swillybey
    Free Member

Heel on chainstay? Laces on crank?

scaredypants

When did you last clean your chain ?

How worn is it, and the chainrings ?

welshfarmer

I’m with swillybey. I get this quite a bit and it really confued the hell out of me until I realised it was the edge of my shoe catching the NDS crank at the back of the stroke. Adjusted the cleats a tiny bit cured the problem, though still get it now and again

faustus

I’m having similar on my road bike and it is the pedal bearings that need oiling. All this warm weather has dried the bearings out (as i’d not lubed them for ages) and things are creaking a bit. The pedal doesn’t have any play but some oil sorted it out.

weeksy

shorts on toptube.

bigyinn
    Free Member

It’ll be crap / grit between the dust covers / top hats of the external BB.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ll check some of those things out. Laces tucked in and I don’t rub the heals. I’ll check the chain, pedals, etc today. Chain, cassette and rings all good. Nothing stiff but it might just need a bit of lube somewhere.

Thanks all. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

shorts on toptube

Wanger on shorts?

neilthewheel

😀 wanger on top tube?

andyl
    Free Member

Wanger on heels? 😯

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Swishing/scraping noise when pedalling?’ is closed to new replies.