• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by viv.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swinley – Which fast winter tyres?
  • preddall
    Free Member

I usually ride Maxis ‘High Roller (eXception Series)’

Great in the summer… not so sure in the Swinley sludge….

I ride a Trek Top Fuel 8.

Any thoughts/Reccomendations?

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Specialized storm’s, the more you spend on them the more tpi/compounds/tubeless they become. I had a pair of the 120tpi dual compound ones and they were ace for Swinely.

Although Bontranger Mud-x are apparently popular and match your Trek more if thats of any bother to you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mud X

thepurist

Mud X works for me

njee20
    Free Member

Round Swinley I find rocket rons fine, not like it’s claggy.

preddall
    Free Member

Thanks fellas…

I’ll check them all out and give one set a punt 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Mud X are great, but perhaps a bit overkill for Swinley as it doesn’t get “that” bad in the depths of winter.

Ironically, would suggest something like a 2.1 or even a 1.9 Maxxis High Roller as a sort of half way house between a summer tyre and a full on winter tyre…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mud X are great, but perhaps a bit overkill for Swinley as it doesn’t get “that” bad in the depths of winter.

Are we talking about the same Swinely?

preddall
    Free Member

Can’t be….

Some say… that bikers have been ‘lost’ in the swamps at Swinley 😉

viv
    Free Member

I rock a semi-slick high roller on the back and regular high roller up front, I think if you’re on a full sus grip isn’t a massive issue round there, nothing grips on the wet stones anyhow.

Try giving it a go sliding around swinley on a few rainy day’s and see how it goes..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*hi fives fellwo SS high roller user*

Great fun watching other people puzzle over how it manages to grip at all. Although on all but completely dry hard packed soil I found the standard HR better.

Some say… that bikers have been ‘lost’ in the swamps at Swinley

No, they were just some London types who thought it was a trail center and got confused without either a map or signposts. Although saying that, it took me 2 attepmts to find my way through Satans Grotto as it was so muddy the line dissapeared once!

viv
    Free Member

sup spoon

yeah, great tyre, I think it’s the diamond pattern in the middle that does the trick – it rarely slips going up hill out the saddle too which is weird, and under braking or tight cornering you can feel it slipping and then the side knobs take over, lovely tyre.

High rollers are pretty good all round I think, they’d be alright in the swinley mud…. looking towards a swampthing or something would be too much drag overall as not all of swinleys tracks are boggy slogs, most stay kinda dry..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swinley – Which fast winter tyres?’ is closed to new replies.