Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Swinley – or Cotswold road ride tomorrow? You decide..!
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Kinda torn between two options tomorrow. Weather looks good, trails might have dried out a tad?

So… Swinley could be fun for a tomorrow of afternoon’s fun.

But I also have a hankering to leave straight from my door and head out for a 70-80 mile cotswolds epic… hmmmm… really can’t decide!

STW hive mind thoughts? Is Swinley an XTR drivetrain grinding mess of wet sand and grit? Is road riding really where I should be at? Hmm mm….

geoffj

road ride? 😯

G E T I N T H E S E A!

LittleNose
    Free Member

I’m heading to Swinley tomorrow am for a quick spin… hoping it hasn’t rained over there today, in which case it’ll have drained nicely (i hope).

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yeah… I’m hoping the rain will have dried out a tad by now at Swinley and I really shouldn’t be going anywhere near the road bike at this time of year!

But Swinley’s a 100 mile round trip – so only worth it if it’s gonna be worth it.

I really should wash my road bike mouth out with soapy water (I know!) 😳

fd3chris
    Free Member

No you should get the grinder out and make a clothes airer with it 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say Swinley was worth a 100 mile round trip at the best of times.

fd3chris
    Free Member

It’s the same distance for me and i would have to agree.

mikey74
    Free Member

Maybe a few years ago it would have been, but since it’s been turned into a coarse aggregate-paved super-highway, it’s appeal has reduced somewhat.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

If it helps at all, I was at Swinley today and it was mostly dry, few puddles and muddy bits, but compared to my local stuff at the moment it was unexpectedly dry.

Caher

Cotswolds – Swinley will be choco

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cotswolds it is then! Weather’s not looking brilliant either, so road plodding seems better option… such a bloody hassle going for a mountain bike ride living in deepest Oxfordshire anyways..!

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s fine down this way. Swinley would be okay on the cobbles. Drains well. Would be rammed though and really not worth a long drive.

Surrey Hills would have been a better choice. Running really nice. Yes there’s mud out there, but the fun factor outweighs it, and it’s not grinding yellow paste stuff like Swinley.

If you wanted a trail centre, from Oxfordshire I’d have gone with Cwmcarn, FoD or Afan. At a push Cannock. Before even considering Swinley 😉

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Surrey Hills: 150 mile round trip
    FoD: 150 mile round trip
    Afan and Cannock: 200 mile round trip 😯

Swinley really is my nearest bit of ‘proper’ ‘mountain’ biking, and I actually quite like it, TBH. It is what it is. Fast singletrack. Fun, if you hammer it.

Did something like ~95 miles in the Cotswolds road riding yesterday though. Pretty satisfying. Got a bit wet at the end though!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Swinley – or Cotswold road ride tomorrow? You decide..!’ is closed to new replies.