Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Swinley Jump Gully shut down
  • jimdubleyou

Hopefully there will be more space in the car park now.

DT78
    Free Member

The reason I’m sad is it is part of my riding past and had good memories when I had my first full sus and was ridiculously over biked (Santa cruz vp free…..) and trying to learn stuff. I then migrated on to bigger stuff and DH holidays in the Alps before getting old and breaking myself one to many times. Now I’m on of those whippets on a carbon 29er who likes going to swinley for a quick blast and mostly keeps the wheels on the ground. I still liked having a play in the gully for old times sake, not because it was particularly amazing or anything. That’s why I’m a bit sad.

cinnamon_girl

.I went there years ago before it was a trail centre and had a great time exploring and riding tracks that looked well used and some that looked natural and hardly used….found some genuinely technical stuff too….it was a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Agreed. It was a sad day when Swinley became a trail centre and, imo, the ambience disappeared too. Following an unpleasant ‘trail rage’ experience I never returned.

Tiger6791

Agreed. It was a sad day when Swinley became a trail centre and, imo, the ambience disappeared too. Following an unpleasant ‘trail rage’ experience I never returned.

Boooo

Don’t let the cobbles and unwashed put you off, that’s even more of a shame.

Swinley can be great, just ride it like you used to, link up old stuff, poke down into Crowthorne, use the fire roads to connect the good bits out of order. Go ride the old bits that are still there but only a few people ride now. 🙂

Finkill

Swinley can be great, just ride it like you used to, link up old stuff, poke down into Crowthorne, use the fire roads to connect the good bits out of order. Go ride the old bits that are still there but only a few people ride now.

Exactly!

eshershore
    Free Member

Swinley used to be great fun!I have not been for a few years, but am sure its still great fun as its all riding bikes on dirt tracks?

The Jump gulley itself seemed to change all the time, but there were neat hidden stunts to session.

I can see how people got easily injured, with all the constant changes to the jumps, some had very ‘poppy’ lips which would easily catch an inexperienced rider out. For some low scale jumps, you could get quite loose on them

I completely understand why they demolished the gulley, constant accidents are a legal risk that no operator wants, having been through the lawsuit at old Esher Shore, all the H&SE wranglings over the years the park operated, and constant adjustments to trails, or even removal of stunt following patterns of accidents, it makes sense.

I remember being shocked at the blase attitude of some of the people riding the gulley, specifically watching a little lad on a cheap bike crashed his brains out on the last jump whilst his dad stood up top laughing “better get you a helmet then!”. the mind boggles…

weeksy

Right decision IMO.

It was a very dangerous little section, baked solid and like jumping on concrete, but with jumps an inappropriate angle/length for the actual speed/trail.

Whilst I admit it was fun in a way and I had my best ever ‘air’ on there… it was very dangerous too.

cokie

I was riding Swinley at the weekend. It was a good little blast. I headed up early and didn’t see anyone on the first loop. I like Swinley- it give me a chance to go for a spin on trails that are in good condition all year. I also meet lots of like minded friendly people. I managed over 50k on the trails and loved it. Yes, it’s not challenging but that’s not why I go. With natural stuff I’m forever second guessing corners, obstacles, cheeky trails in fear of what is round the corner. Swinley lets you relax a bit. You just have to dodge the odd dog walker and child in the middle of the trail.

I stopped off at the jump gully and I can’t believe what it looks like now. Essentially a plowed field with a few new trees cut down too.

br
    Free Member

I can see why people say Swinley is crap

I however ride it loads and I think it’s an absolute hoot! and appreciate it.

+1

I’ve not ridden it since they ‘created’ the trail centre, but for no other reason than moving 400 miles away. There was always loads of ‘hidden’ stuff, and I imagine that most of it is still there. You could easily ride for hours, and get nowhere 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

+1 to all that cokie

It’s a fun blast Swinley, a place where you can relax a bit on a sunny afternoon and just have a bit of fun. This is coming from someone who loves rocky stuff in the Peak, CyB Beast, etc.

I don’t really care whether there are some people pootling about on the blue on 180mm FS rigs in full face helmets. Good on ’em – if that’s what they want to do! It’s all bikes.. 🙂

I was up at the gulley yesterday afternoon and there were about 15 lost people standing around looking in bewilderment at the devastation. There’s even a new ‘trail’ starting to form already – where people have begun riding over the bulldozed moonscape.

I agree with the comments on the potential dangers of jumps in the gully – their very ‘kickyness’ was the thing that put me off riding them for years, but once I gradually worked myself up to it, I found them really good fun.

I don’t doubt that something will return in their place, probably completely unofficial though.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Yeah since swinley became a “trail” centre its lost its cool. I just cant be seen their any more, people might not realise Im a hard core freeride genius.
    I totally agree with the previous posts complaining about it.

They rightly point out that everything in the past was better, you can really argue with that can u ?

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Jump Gully shut down’ is closed to new replies.