Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Swinley Forest
  • funkynick

Am going down to a BBQ in Surrey on Saturday and as it’s a bit of a treck from the deep, dark Midlands I thought I might as well get a bit of bikey-time in while I am down there…

Now, years ago I stopped off at Swinley for a play about on the bike, and found all sorts of fun trails in amongst the trees, however I understand it’s been ‘played with’ recently, so is it still worth a visit?

I guess fundamentally the answer should be yes, as any time on the bike this weekend would be good, but is it really going to be worth it?

cinnamon_girl

Many people think it’s great. I, on the other hand, don’t.

It’s a trail centre now.

thepurist

They’ve taken a load of the better old bits, added some good new bits then put signposts up so you can’t miss them. There’s still a few winding flat bits that serve no purpose other than linking the rest up, but for a brain off grin fix it should do you fine.

Eta – where’s the barbie? Might be closer to the legendary surrey hills instead?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

All the old stuff is still there… You can ride for 3/4 hrs solid without riding any of the marked trails if you know where to go….all the old stuff is still there… None of it has been destroyed…. Head over to Crowthorne way for more. Blue flows very well and some people say it’s better than the red…. I like to mix a blue, with the good bits of red (especially 15 and 25) then head over and do corkscrew via pips seat.

Surrey hill is great too but harder to find trails and if you are short of time you need a gpx or guide to make the most of it.

anagallis_arvensis

Its good fun, nothing hard and lacks a bit of gravity but for a quick blast its good.

bullroar
    Free Member

I went there a couple of times earlier in the summer, Antur Stiniog it is not but I had a great couple of rides. Like most other places accept it for what it is and enjoy it for that. Plenty of off piste if you are so inclined. Most fun bits I found were on the hill near Surrey Hills reservoir.

Cheers, Horse

funkynick

The BBQ is just down the road in Woking, and Swinley is right on my route, otherwise I probably would have headed over to Leith Hill etc…

Cool, it sounds like it’s worth a spin round then… even if it’s now a follow the signposts job, but at least I won’t get lost this time!!

Thanks folks…

EDIT: And the off-piste stuff is still all allowed?

tonyd

You should go, it’s good. I’ve been riding there for years and can understand CGs (amongst others) reasoning, it does feel a little sterile at times and it’s almost a shame that you don’t have to think to find your way around, but the trails are good.

Start the blue, then off to the red, and back to the blue to finish. Don’t know the numbers etc but someone here will, or just look at the map.

It’s bound to be busy though so go early on a weekend.

funkynick

I’m planning on getting there mid-morning, so hoping it’s not going to be too choca-block by then!

Oh, and I’ve just thought… do you still need to buy a permit from the shop?

tonyd

I haven’t been on a weekend since just after it re-opened, the carpark was rammed by 9am (we started riding at 7am). I’d imagine it might have dropped off a bit by now though, novelty and all that.

No permit but you have to pay for parking now, £2 or £4 I can’t remember which (generally park in Crowthorne and ride in).

doncorleoni
    Free Member

If you in facebook stick a post on swinley forest mountain bike facebook page…. Someone there will show you around! I would glady but busy this weekend.

Blue starts from bottom of car park…. But you can park at sainsbury and it’s only a 5 min ride in. If it’s your first time do the blue, red, blue…. Should take 1.5 hrs and a fairly quick pace. If you want more, head over Crowthorne way to bomb hole / pips seat via car wash and Christmas tree alley…. I am sure you can just ask someone! Hard to get lost….. Just ride a fireroad until you see a sneaky bit and dart off.

Avoid if you can the marked trails from about 10.30am….thats the peak…. And it will remind you of the m25.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Forest’ is closed to new replies.