Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tf tuned Swinger 4 way vs dhx5 coil
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

How much difference is there between the two? Am I likely to notice a difference being a beginner rider?

Also are titanium springs any better performance wise or are they just a weight thing?

James

Dirtynap
    Free Member

The DHX 5 is a better shock in my view and when its tuned to teh frame works really well but it is a bit of a pain to get set up. the 4 way is easier to set up but i am not a big fan as it seems to have a worse damping.

Titanium springs are better but mainly due to weight, but also they are more predictable stronger and more bling. Its a racers upgrade really.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I wouldn't contradict Dirtynap's comments but in answer to the original question 'will I notice a difference' the answer is probably not. There will be a difference of course, it's just whether or not you will 'feel' it.
    The DHX has come to be regarded as the better shock, but the Swinger was not a bad little damper. Plus if the choice is between one set up by TF and one that is not, then the TF tuned one will almost certainly perform better.
    With the Ti spring question, as Dirty says it is purely a question of weight; there are no other performance upgrades other than this. It has been suggested that they have better fatigue resistance but I've never heard of anyone breaking a steel coil. I'm not sure what Dirty means by 'predictable' however.
    A couple of points on the weight issue though: First is that not all Ti springs are made the same. I didn't realise this myself until recently, but for a given weight, (i.e. the weight needed to compress the spring, for exaple 500lbs/inch) and stroke length, there will be differences in 'mass' between different brands. The Nukeproof ones are not as light as say the Fox ones for example. Second, if your damper has a stroke length of say 2.75" and you end up with a (Nukeproof) spring that is a stroke of 3.0" (which is what they suggest you do if you can't get the exact stroke length you need) then you're carrying around extra material that you don't need and in some instances, your Ti spring could end up being heavier than a steel version, which is of the correct stroke length.
    You can end up saving upwards of 200g between a steel and a ti spring, which is certainly worth it for either a DH racer or a trail rider IMO.

jam-bo

i'd consider a vanilla RC over a DHX. ace shocks.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Did you mean the Van R? The vanilla RC was replaced a few years ago by the DHX. It was supposed to be a great damper however. The van r is also a very good damper and great value for money. Again it can be supplied set up specifically for you and your bike.

jam-bo

No, I'd buy a second hand rc over a dhx. Put one on my five recently, cost me £60. Transformed the bike.

jedi

i use a swinger6 with ti spring on my demo9.
    i got the ti spring just for something to put on my bike but was amazed that you get small bump sesitivity more than a steel spring for the weight of spring i use (500lb)

geetee1972
    Free Member

The smart money is on Jam Bo's solution.

fivespot
    Free Member

If considering weight and cost, the Vanilla R is a simple but effective and very light coil shock. Mainly due to the smaller body diameter, which allows it to take a smaller dia. spring. The likes of a Swinger or DHX use a 36mm dia. spring ,whereas the Vanilla uses a 32 dia. spring.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tf tuned Swinger 4 way vs dhx5 coil’ is closed to new replies.