Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Swindon to Salisbury….
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

Planning a train-a-bike bivvy trip taking in some of the neolithic sights of this area.
    Any thoughts on whether this would be better N to S or vice versa – route is only half planned but have a ‘cheeky’ mid way bivvy spot already marked out (and no, it’s not on MOD land!!)

cinnamon_girl

Oooooh, sounds like fun! Pick up The Ridgeway at Barbury Castle down to Avebury/West Kennett. Wansdyke is very interesting. You need to include some White Horses so that means Cherhill and Devizes. Go across the Plain at Urchfont Hill to finish near Stonehenge.

Sorted. 🙂

Please post up your route though!

Edit: I’m sure some Wiltshire locals will come up with something better!

hilldodger
    Free Member

The route will take in Avebury, Windover Hill, Woodhenge, Stonehenge & Old Sarum at least, would also like to take in Uffington Horse & Waylands Smithy but that’s looking more like a later in the year ride 😀

I’ll loosley combine parts of the White Horse Trail, Great Stones Way & Monarchs Way – need to find out what the Plain access is like.
    Is there a site where open days are listed or is it just a case of watching out for red flags and the sound of falling shells 😯

EDIT ’redscock’ site but good route info

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

just a case of watching out for red flags and the sound of falling shells

Pretty muchm, yes! Essentially the Western side of the Plain (West of the Avon Valley) is the more dangerous side, as that’s where the Larkhill impact zones are. The Eastern edge, around Tidworth/Bulford/Enford/Netheravon etc is quieter, but jsut watch out for tanks and stuff. They have right of way….!

Oh, and never ride through a Salisbury Plain puddle. Two reasons;
    1 – Being chalk, you can’t normally see what might be in there and being the Plain, who knows what might be in there!
    2 – Some of them are so massive and deep they could swallow you whole and no one would ever know you’d drowned in there!

cinnamon_girl

Sounds excellent! I’ve got a route plotted – the mountain bike equivalent of the White Horse Trail which is for walkers only, how silly is that! One day I will ride it.

Out of curiosity, are you using a frame bag or panniers?

Recorded message on 01980 674763, it’s updated weekly. Haven’t used it for quite a while though. Mind you, you can still see tanks and Landies whizzing around when it’s open for public access.

The only firing range that seems to be regularly used at weekends is Milston Down.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, are you using a frame bag or panniers?

Neither 😀

Planning to go light’n’loose with a bivvybag/sleeping bag lashed to the bars in a drysack and overnight essentials split between an Ortleib seatpack and small Deuter backpack.

Planning to take a ‘big day out’ kit plus a jetboil (or equivalent), couple of grot packs (aka boil in the bag meals), plenty of water and pretty much hope for the best 😕

Hope to go before end of month unless weather turns really bad…

hilldodger
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Essentially the Western side of the Plain (West of the Avon Valley) is the more dangerous side, as that’s where the Larkhill impact zones are. The Eastern edge, around Tidworth/Bulford/Enford/Netheravon etc is quieter, but jsut watch out for tanks and stuff. They have right of way….!

Oh, and never ride through a Salisbury Plain puddle. Two reasons;
    1 – Being chalk, you can’t normally see what might be in there and being the Plain, who knows what might be in there!
    2 – Some of them are so massive and deep they could swallow you whole and no one would ever know you’d drowned in there!

Thanks Cap’n 🙂
    Would you be able to recommend any bike friendly pubs in the area for a pleasant lunch stop ??

cinnamon_girl

Gosh, you’re brave! Is that the saddle bag with roll-top closure?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would you be able to recommend any bike friendly pubs in the area for a pleasant lunch stop ??

Me? Recommend pubs? Why yes….!

The Swan at Enford. Lovely spot, superb beer.
    Crown at Everleigh – Great location, not too sure about beer/food these days, though
    The Outside Chance, Manton
    The Barge, Honeystreet (Popular with canal folk, obviously! And cropcirclists too!)

Will try and think of some more for you!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Is that the saddle bag with roll-top closure?

Yes, that’s the one.

As for brave, well that’s one word for it ! but it’s only one night, what’s the worst that could happen 😯

cinnamon_girl

Can I ask where you bought the Ortlieb? What size did you go for and how much do you reckon you get could in there? Thanks. 🙂

I’m wanting to do the odd little overnight adventurette, although staying in B & B, so would be useful to know how minimalist one has to go.

Presumably you would only do it in dry weather?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Ortleib from Wiggle, size Large, haven’t tried packing it yet.

Dry weather, hopefully – but unless it was really cats’n’dogs would still have a go, after all it’s only the South of England not proper outdoors 😉

When my new weight weeny sleeping bag arrives I’ll do some packing and piccies….

brassneck

My 2p worth..

Crown at Everleigh – Great location, not too sure about beer/food these days, though
    Not up too much, but I think the Indian at the old petrol station is still going?

Been about 25 years since I drank there (as the Oddfellows Arms) but has a nice garden.

The Barge, Honeystreet (Popular with canal folk, obviously! And cropcirclists too!)
    Full of loonies, some nice some not.. certainly a memorable pub to stop at.

The Coopers Arms in Pewsey is a nice pub, though I’ve never eaten there, mainly used it for dehydration purposes during carnival..

Seven Stars, Bottlesford – pack some nice clothes, a portable shower and a credit card 🙂

The old part of the Ridgeway (past the Sanctuary) has massive ruts and can be a slog in wet weather.
    I wouldn’t bother with Woodhenge myself if it makes the route better, but that is of course down to your priorities!
    Passing through Larkhill also allows a good view of Stonehenge from a distance, where it’s best appreciated.

If you were planning to overnight, I’d consider bivvying on top of Martinsell, by cutting across the top of Pewsey Vale, lovely spot to camp in. There is a cafe on Pewsey Wharf but it was a bit pricey last time I was in. You would have to pedal slowly to make a day of it there from Swindon though.

Very interested to see what you come up with 🙂

brassneck

Oh, you could divert to Marlborough across Fyfield down to pick up an extra White Horse, though it’s a bit new for this trip perhaps.

am
    Free Member

Plenty of good advice so far and my 2p worth..

Not up too much, but I think the Indian at the old petrol station is still going?

The curry house (The Goa) is still going and one of the best in the area. I’d rather go there than the pub

Been about 25 years since I drank there (as the Oddfellows Arms) but has a nice garden.
    +1 New owners and great food

Full of loonies, some nice some not.. certainly a memorable pub to stop at.
    Now owned by the community so still full of loonies

The Coopers Arms in Pewsey is a nice pub, though I’ve never eaten there, mainly used it for dehydration purposes during carnival..
    My local – no food anymore though they’d probably let you bivvy in the field behind the pub if you asked nicely

Seven Stars, Bottlesford – pack some nice clothes, a portable shower and a credit card
    +1

And I’ll add the Red Lion at East Chisenbury into the mix as well for the best food in the area but again pack some nice clothes

If you were planning to overnight, I’d consider bivvying on top of Martinsell, by cutting across the top of Pewsey Vale, lovely spot to camp in.
    +1 Couldn’t agree more with this suggestion. And you’ll get a great descent from here into Pewsey in the morning

A visit to Figheldean is worth it if you’re into wild swimming – could be a bit fresh though!

yossarian
    Free Member

If you are passing through Avebury make sure you drop over to west kennet long barrow and good old silbury hill.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Thnaks for all the advice, time to hit the OS maps 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A visit to Figheldean is worth it if you’re into wild swimming – could be a bit fresh though!

Ah, happy days! Used to love a dip there mid ride.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Swindon to Salisbury….’ is closed to new replies.