Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Swimming technique
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m planning on taking some swimming lessons to make sure my technique is as good as it can be but in the meantime, i’ve got a question about power. Should it come mainly from the arms/shoulders pulling you along with slow leg kicks or should you use strong leg kicks to push you along?

ta

shreck
    Free Member

Both

david_r
    Free Member

I think the bulk of your propulsion comes from the upper body and the catch/pull. I does for me anyway. I swim 3 sessions / 8-9k a week at the moment and find that I hardly use my legs at all.

Having said that, I am not a fast swimmer so that may well be the reason why 🙁

The coaches at the tri club certainly put more emphasis on upper body, and when I’m doing a tri, they’re open water swims so the wetsuit keeps my legs are nice and bouyant!

Shandy
    Free Member

You need to get a book called Total Immersion.

The essential difference between swimming and most other sports in the level of drag created by water as opposed to air. Because water creates so much drag, increases in “power” are very easily negated by poor form. If you can get used to a body position which minimises drag you will drastically reduce the amount of power required.

I swum a lot as a kid and went back to it a couple of years ago. I was doing 2000m in about 45 minutes, getting out of the pool hyperventilating and slightly cross eyed. I can now do 2000m in anywhere from 33 to 40 minutes, after a gym session, and get out of the pool feeling more relaxed than when I got in.

If you’re swimming for triathlon there is a big advantage to maximising your efficiency, especially if you can get on somebody’s toes as you get a great draft off other swimmers.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Mainly from your arms, over longer distances especially.

footstomper
    Free Member

If you are doing tri’s then using your upper body is the most advantageous as the next two disciplines require maximum leg strength 😉

shoefiti
    Free Member

you tube has some good vids on total immersion technique – although it’s not for everyone – i found it a bit odd, but i guess i should of stuck with it a bit longer.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

to build up power & speed – swim off the great barrier reef with a steak tied to your leg 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Swimming technique’ is closed to new replies.